Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

Kempston:
Few more of Pre-Star motors Dean, 1st one is at their factory in Ampthill Road in Bedford.

Nice pics Dave, i thought the Bedford looked familiar. Someone has chopped the copyright off as one of Mark Bailey’s.

Peter Roff certainly run some top motors.

L0702p.JPG

Kempston:

DEANB:

Kempston:
“DEANB”

One of Meeks Bedford TM’s from Luton.

They had quite a few motors back in the day Dean.

Here’s another one chap.

They ran quite a few Volvos Dean

The F10 G95 EVV used to be with Rogers of Bedford along with 93 & 97. They came from the hire fleet of Billows.

A few of Harvey’s from Sandy. Nmp

Kempston:

They run a tidy fleet Dave.

Heres a clipping from 1982 featuring a Mike Crawley MAN from Luton.

mike crawley luton 80.PNG

DEANB:

Kempston:

They run a tidy fleet Dave.

Heres a clipping from 1982 featuring a Mike Crawley MAN from Luton.

Don’t know the name Dean, wonder if it’s anything to do with Crawleys waste company? What a plonker I am :blush: it’s Cawley not Crawley.

R K Browning of Leighton Buzzard. Nmp

T.C. Ginn of Bedford, not a big firm but think they were pretty decent, long gone now. Nmp

That KM is a very early one-not many on an E plate!

andrew.s:

No idea if they’d have bought it new?

Kempston:

andrew.s:

No idea if they’d have bought it new?

It looks great in those pictures Kempston

Another old brick haulier from Woburn sands.

Who else remember’s Plysu from Woburn Sands…

Poikey:

I remember seeing them around-did they make plastic containers?

Poikey:

Definitely, they also had a sizeable place in kempston, I used to go in there for shanks, was great, I never had to buy anything plastic whilst we were going in there, put your request in for a washing up bowl etc, the colour and size you wanted and the next time you went it was waiting for you. They had a lot of merc wagon and drags based in kempston. A good company to work for I believe but sadly all gone now. The factory at Woburn sands is all housing now, the factory in kempston makes some kind of temporary buildings I believe.

Think they also had a warehouse in Newport Parnell too and a recycling plant in Wolverton run by Shanks, see the following link. They also made milk bottles.

mkheritage.org.uk/wsc/plysu … urn-sands/

Poikey:
Think they also had a warehouse in Newport Parnell too and a recycling plant in Wolverton run by Shanks, see the following link. They also made milk bottles.

The factory / warehouse was on North Crawley Road, Newport Pagnell, near Coventry Steel Caravans.

Kempston:

Poikey:

All the Mercs they ran were on long term contract hire from Ford and Slater, used to work on them when i was over at Car and Commercial of Aylesbury.

Definitely, they also had a sizeable place in kempston, I used to go in there for shanks, was great, I never had to buy anything plastic whilst we were going in there, put your request in for a washing up bowl etc, the colour and size you wanted and the next time you went it was waiting for you. They had a lot of merc wagon and drags based in kempston. A good company to work for I believe but sadly all gone now. The factory at Woburn sands is all housing now, the factory in kempston makes some kind of temporary buildings I believe.

Kempston:

There is a Harvey’s sign board(looks like it might be from the back end of one of their brick trailers to me) in the Sainsbury’s At Biggleswade-as you exit the petrol station there is a small parking area as you drive round the back of the petrol station shop, and the sign is on the left -it’s in good condition, thought some of you might be interested,I’ve never been able to grab a pic

Poikey:

Great photos Poikey, never heard of these, do you know anything about them?