Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

IMG_1106.jpeg

Kempston:

Poikey:

Great photos Poikey, never heard of these, do you know anything about them?

It’s the same Rogers that’s still about. The same Rogers as mentioned in this thread, Rogers Transport, Engineers, Aviation, Millers and currently a Land Rover and/or Isuzu dealer.

Rogers have always been based at Castle Mills off Goldington Road and also had the mill that used to be between the olde St John’s station and Ampthill Road.

When the first Bedford bypass was in fruition, it was Rogers that had it moved due to it interfering with a runway on his land by Castle Mills lock.

key.aero/forum/historic-avi … l-airstrip

Also found this of the olde mill….Harry Leeks Freight rings a bell, wasn’t they based nearby?

disused-stations.org.uk/b/be … ex35.shtml

Poikey:

Kempston:

Poikey:

Great photos Poikey, never heard of these, do you know anything about them?

It’s the same Rogers that’s still about. The same Rogers as mentioned in this thread, Rogers Transport, Engineers, Aviation, Millers and currently a Land Rover and/or Isuzu dealer.

Rogers have always been based at Castle Mills off Goldington Road and also had the mill that used to be between the olde St John’s station and Ampthill Road.

When the first Bedford bypass was in fruition, it was Rogers that had it moved due to it interfering with a runway on his land by Castle Mills lock.

key.aero/forum/historic-avi … l-airstrip

Also found this of the olde mill….Harry Leeks Freight rings a bell, wasn’t they based nearby?

disused-stations.org.uk/b/be … ex35.shtml

Didn’t realise they were the same people poikey, Harry Leeks used to be just under the Ampthill Road bridge.

An old ford D series belonging to Flitwick oil.

Wonder if the driver of the Ford had a tiger in his tank :smiley:

Also wonder if it was a Flitwick Oils truck that was involved in the crash at Westoning many years back.

Poikey:
Wonder if the driver of the Ford had a tiger in his tank :smiley:

Also wonder if it was a Flitwick Oils truck that was involved in the crash at Westoning many years back.

Tigers all escaped over Westoning High St right outside that miserable gits shop the newsagents…

Cracking old photo of Stanley Thurstons funfair Atkinsons from kempston, their motors were always immaculately turned out with stunning signwriting. Still have their yard in kempston but think they use it mainly as a maintenance yard, they have another yard where they park the vehicles now on the A603 at Cople/Willington.

2 old motors belonging to William Simmonds flour mills from Leighton Buzzard. Nmp

Kempston:
Cracking old photo of Stanley Thurstons funfair Atkinsons from kempston, their motors were always immaculately turned out with stunning signwriting. Still have their yard in kempston but think they use it mainly as a maintenance yard, they have another yard where they park the vehicles now on the A603 at Cople/Willington.

That brings back some memories!
Thurstons fun fair has been in Hitchin this week.

Thurstons yard has just reminded me…was/is behind a school. Now the burning question is…as you turn left and go towards Elstow Road, is the olde shoe shop still there?

Poikey:
Thurstons yard has just reminded me…was/is behind a school. Now the burning question is…as you turn left and go towards Elstow Road, is the olde shoe shop still there?

If it is,I wonder if my shoes are ready to collect!!!

David

Poikey:

Yes or at least at the side of Up End school which I went to, burnt down years ago. The old shoe menders is long gone,

S. G. Hill transport from Gamlingay.

One of D.G. Nobles nicely sheeted Scanias. Nmp

[attachment=0]9C171085-4611-4BBA-BC12-B5B8AAB5E6A0.jpeg[/attachment

Kempston:
One of D.G. Nobles nicely sheeted Scanias. Nmp

[attachment=0]9C171085-4611-4BBA-BC12-B5B8AAB5E6A0.jpeg[/attachment

The rear sheet being short would allow a vast amount of water spray due to being right over the 3 axles,however perhaps the load wouldn’t have been negatively affected by the spray,but a nicely roped and sheeted load nonetheless.

David

Kempston:
F. A. Hawkins Transport from Eaton Bray, still going strong. Nmp

I took the top picture of ECT 593V B Series ERF with E290 Big Cam ■■■■■■■■ i was the driver of this vehicle.

483BFD8C-B23E-44B6-98D6-641582C62E72.jpg
Photographed in Rush Green motors this week-my mate that took the pics said it’s in very good condition, definitely needs saving.

andrew.s:
Photographed in Rush Green motors this week-my mate that took the pics said it’s in very good condition, definitely needs saving.

Completely agree Andrew

Just saw this photo elsewhere on the web. Nmp

Knights of Old Scania from your way Dave.

DEANB:
Knights of Old Volvo from your way Dave.

Just down the road from me about ten minutes walk, seem to be running a lot of MANs at the moment, Don’t think they have been much of a Volvo operator for a while, still got a few Scanias as pictured.