Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

One of Breeds eight wheelers from Shefford, like most Bedfordshire hauliers back then, loaded with bricks.

Found this on the internet, never seen this before as far as I can remember, not a brilliant quality of photo unfortunately.

Kempston:
Hi Dean, thanks for posting that, yes I do remember them but have to say I didn’t know much about them so thanks for the info :slight_smile:

No worries Dave, Dont know anything about the Transcon wrecker pic you posted but here’s an advert for Luton Commercial Motors who
were a main Ford dealer from 1969.

recovery beds 69.PNG

Kempston:
Found this on the internet, never seen this before as far as I can remember, not a brilliant quality of photo unfortunately.

This Transcon was replaced by a Scammell S26 called the The Weightshifter 2. Both vehicles were so
called because within the bodywork carried a sliding weight that shifted forward accordingly to was being lifted via the underlift thus keeping the front of the wrecker down and not overloading the rear axles.

3C711FE5-FEC4-451D-82B8-A0F43F38FF04.jpeg

P.S

Pics liberated from the World Wide Wobble :wink:

Poikey:

Kempston:

This Transcon was replaced by a Scammell S26 called the The Weightshifter 2. Both vehicles were so
called because within the bodywork carried a sliding weight that shifted forward accordingly to was being lifted via the underlift thus keeping the front of the wrecker down and not overloading the rear axles.

I believe the boys were Nicky, Mark & Tim (NMT) Ambridge ex Cranfield Village, then Marston Moretaine and Bedford.
Their father was Richard Ambridge, he owned & operated Drots, JCB’s, Caterpillars etc ex Cranfield, in the 60’s & 70’s.

Regards
Andy

That sounds about right. The yard in Bedford was shared at one time with Buckdales whilst a previous occupant was the GPO ( I think ) as a vehicle workshop. Opposite was/is Greeenhow and Wrights builders merchant.

Poikey:
That sounds about right. The yard in Bedford was shared at one time with Buckdales whilst a previous occupant was the GPO ( I think ) as a vehicle workshop. Opposite was/is Greeenhow and Wrights builders merchant.

You’re both right, the old man was a bit of an eccentric, I remember he staged a protest in town, forget what it was about but I think someone owed him money but couldn’t swear to that. He had quite a nice roller he drove around in.

Just found this on the tinternet, a very old Charles Wells lorry making a delivery, looks like the pub in Putnoe/Goldington.

Kempston:
Just found this on the tinternet, a very old Charles Wells lorry making a delivery, looks like the pub in Putnoe/Goldington.

Queen’s Drive. Andy’s Chippy a few doors down but can’t quite remember the pubs name. The Queens Head I think.

Going off thread, there was Tuckers chippy in Tavistock Street about opposite the fuel station. The cafe a bit further up on the right just before The New Inn/Corner House. Eammons Cafe down Commercial Road. Peacocks auctions down Newnham Street and The Beds Times as a broadsheet.

Poikey:

Kempston:

Queen’s Drive. Andy’s Chippy a few doors down but can’t quite remember the pubs name. The Queens Head I think.

Going off thread, there was Tuckers chippy in Tavistock Street about opposite the fuel station. The cafe a bit further up on the right just before The New Inn/Corner House. Eammons Cafe down Commercial Road. Peacocks auctions down Newnhan Street and The Beds Times as a broadsheet.

It was called the Queens Tavern, I frequented it, on many occassion, when I was the legal age to drink… I played Sunday Football for them too. The Sportsman was close as well on The Boundary.
The Bedfordshire Times when in Caxton Road, I worked part time there for many a year alongside the Local Newspaper Wholesalers.
Tavistock St (A6) was a very busy Road in the 60’s & 70’s and the fuel station I think now is a YMCA now or next door to it. Bedford Battery Co had a place in Wellington St.

Kempston:

Poikey:

You’re both right, the old man was a bit of an eccentric, I remember he staged a protest in town, forget what it was about but I think someone owed him money but couldn’t swear to that. He had quite a nice roller he drove around in.

He also had a Cessna aircraft that he kept at the College of Aeronautics and yes he was seen to be a bit eccentric lol. But he employed quite a number of local people and that was good for the local economy. I knew him and many of the staff that worked for him, his yard was at the rear of Brands Garage ( where I worked for 2 years, which is now RGR’s Ford garage. Old locals used to call him Sir " Richard ", taking the pee, but he was harmless…

Took this photo about 35 years ago at the Great Dorset Steam Fair of A.J.Mitcham’s F88 with a low loader.

DEANB:
Took this photo about 35 years ago at the Great Dorset Steam Fair of A.J.Mitcham’s F88 with a low loader.

Nice Capri in front of the 88

OldishJoda:
Nice Capri in front of the 88

Yes be worth a few quid today 2.8 ?

Bit of history here…

youtube.com/watch?v=nVZiHGh … WL&index=7

Poikey:
Bit of history here…

That’s great!

Does anyone remember Wagstaff potato merchants from Sandy?
They had offices and a small yard on London rd or st Neots rd( I can’t remember which)
My father was a subbie for them in the late seventies/early eighties until they had a falling out.

Poikey:
Bit of history here…

Very good, You can’t see the embankment cos of cars now… The Newnham Ave / Goldington Road junction looks so strange, I did not see my car or van parked in The Anchor car park as we progressed along Goldington Green lol.

Regards
Andy

DEANB:

Great photo Dean