Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

1945 Bedford QL, credit to Charles01 for the photo.
Oily

Beds Charles01 cc by sa 3.0 Bedford_QL_Breakdown_truck_1945_2800_cc.jpg

oiltreader:
1945 Bedford QL, credit to Charles01 for the photo.
Oily

A Bedford from near Bedford!, cheers Oily

Found this brilliant photo on Facebook this morning, I’ve often banged on about not being able to pass a Transport cafe years ago without seeing London brick lorries parked up so when I saw this it brought back so many memories. The cafe is in puckeridge apparently.

Kempston:
Found this brilliant photo on Facebook this morning, I’ve often banged on about not being able to pass a Transport cafe years ago without seeing London brick lorries parked up so when I saw this it brought back so many memories. The cafe is in puckeridge apparently.

Always find them at the cafe’s within 25 miles of the brickyards whether Eastwood Flettons, Stewartby, Coronation Works, Lidlington or Brogbrough, lol.

robthedog:

Another long gone company Rob, there’s a retail park on the site now.

robthedog:

I think many of these K&D Fodens were 2 stroke, I used to hear them coming up St Johns Street to St Mary’s lights & via London Road bridge lol.

Three photos of John Estaffs, no longer around. Always kept a smart fleet. Nmp

Kempston:
Three photos of John Estaffs, no longer around. Always kept a smart fleet. Nmp

A few years ago… LOL…
But its great to see what was about in the past, but as we did not carry cameras in the 60’s, 70’s and 80,s like we do nowadays, many vehicles have gone, missed, departed and died, to the BIG scrapyard somewhere in the Sky…
Thanks for reminding us Dave…

Regards
Andy

F. A. Hawkins Transport from Eaton Bray, still going strong. Nmp

Couple of old E.Hulls motors, first one loaded with a pump ready to leave W.H.Allens the second as a decorated float on behalf of W.H. Allen going through Bedford high street.

B. H. King Transport from Bedford, fortunately no longer around. Nmp.

B H King had a yard in Oakley I seem to remember and possibly at a later date parked some motors on Elms Farm…white Mercedes springs to mind.

Poikey:
B H King had a yard in Oakley I seem to remember and possibly at a later date parked some motors on Elms Farm…white Mercedes springs to mind.

They did Poikey, by then they were trading as S&H King, (Stephen & Harry I presume)

Dave, heres a company you may remember William Simmons from Leighton Buzzard.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean, thanks for posting that, yes I do remember them but have to say I didn’t know much about them so thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Kempston:
Hi Dean, thanks for posting that, yes I do remember them but have to say I didn’t know much about them so thanks for the info :slight_smile:

That was a different area (like a different country)… Leighton Buzzard was like a foreign country… I thought you had to have a passport to cross over the A5 to the west from the east… Desert country Linslade / Leighton Buzzard with all that sand !

Kempston:

IIRC,There was a Transport Cafe there called Bobs in the 50/60s era.

OldishJoda:

Kempston:

That was a different area (like a different country)… Leighton Buzzard was like a foreign country… I thought you had to have a passport to cross over the A5 to the west from the east… Desert country Linslade / Leighton Buzzard with all that sand !

You’re absolutely right on that, it’s quite a funny one really when you feel somewhere 50 miles away in another county has more of a connection with you.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Kempston:

IIRC,There was a Transport Cafe there called Bobs in the 50/60s era.

I always knew the cafe just off the M1 at Watford as Bobs, that was always full of London brick lorries first thing in the morning.