Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

Cheers Stu.

In answer to yer question, no I’m afraid not. The olde grey matter was never that good even back then! :sunglasses:

Have found this pic of some plant that worked at Stewartby landfill that took the 20’ bins off the train that came up from the waste transfer station just off the North Circular at the bottom of the M1. If I remember rightly, it took 4 lorries 4 round trips to cover the train when it didn’t run. Only allowed to carry one loaded bin but took two empties back to Cricklewood…don’t think either train at both ends ever could get fully discharged. Trying to think who the haulier was from Maulden/Clophill way was who had the job.
Ironically I ended up down Felixstowe docks and started off working ( Well, I clocked in and looked busy… :smiley: ) on the rail terminals.

IMG_0944.jpg

Poikey:
Hoiya all, new on here and joined just to reply to this thread.

Used to work for Roger’s of Bedford in the nineties when based at Hammond Road on Elms Farm which is the same yard that Planthaul ran out of, see picture elsewhere on this thread.

Mill Transport used to have a yard on what was Elstow Storage Depot. Then there was Cadwell Distribution ( I think! ) based at Fourwinds Garage on the A6 at top of Deadmans Hill.

Jack Cole who’s also mentioned on here was related to my mum…cousins if I remember rightly.

Buckdales Mercedes on here was originally a twin steer tractor from T Brady fleet of Barrow in Furness, ■■■■■■■■

A truck I used to drive…badge engineered as it’s actually a 2800. Used rope to secure pallets on.

Photo I found on Facebook of Buckdales Merc, looks like it’s done it’s last job.

Poikey:
Cheers Stu.

In answer to yer question, no I’m afraid not. The olde grey matter was never that good even back then! :sunglasses:

Have found this pic of some plant that worked at Stewartby landfill that took the 20’ bins off the train that came up from the waste transfer station just off the North Circular at the bottom of the M1. If I remember rightly, it took 4 lorries 4 round trips to cover the train when it didn’t run. Only allowed to carry one loaded bin but took two empties back to Cricklewood…don’t think either train at both ends ever could get fully discharged. Trying to think who the haulier was from Maulden/Clophill way was who had the job.
Ironically I ended up down Felixstowe docks and started off working ( Well, I clocked in and looked busy… :smiley: ) on the rail terminals.

Definitely a lot more than 4 lorries Poikey, I used to tip in L field daily, those trains were very long and sometimes 2 per day.

Kempston:

Poikey:
Cheers Stu.

Definitely a lot more than 4 lorries Poikey, I used to tip in L field daily, those trains were very long and sometimes 2 per day.

Here’s a photo of one of the trains Poikey, H.A. Boyce used to run a few for Shanks but they weren’t the only ones, I’m racking my brains to try and remember who else used to do it.

Certainly don’t doubt it was more than four lorries, it was many year’s ago!! :sunglasses: Having worked in recent years with freight train’s here in Felixstowe they are quite a length.

Vosper or a similar name seems to ring a bell.

Oh. and talking of Stewartby LBC at one point also had it’s own fleet of buses running services for it’s workers.

Poikey:
Certainly don’t doubt it was more than four lorries, it was many year’s ago!! :sunglasses: Having worked in recent years with freight train’s here in Felixstowe they are quite a length.

Vosper or a similar name seems to ring a bell.

Oh. and talking of Stewartby LBC at one point also had it’s own fleet of buses running services for it’s workers.

That name does ring a bell but I used to deliver to Vospers on the south coast so might be why, only other name slightly out of the norm I can think of was Joyner’s but I can only remember them with their own bulk trailers.

Just found another photo of one of Banks. Nmp,

It was Vosper, my dad drove for him for a while in the colours of A.J. Bull (Mitcham) - probably loading out of Chelsea in the pics

A few more pics from the old days… probably wouldn’t get away with this these days…

Thought I’d already posted this but then I’m still trying to get the idea of how to use crayons…

Vospers had a driver called Blakey who also worked at one time for Harveys from Sandy.

Also some more hauliers form the Shire of Bedford…

H Copeman of Lidlington

The Stringers…Roger, Charlie and Graham

The name I can’t remember but had a yard at London end of Flitwick station

Ron Harts name rings a bell…assume it’s the one who ran some motors and also worked in the transport office of NYK Logistics off Junction 13 about 20 years agoo

One of Graham Stringers here, my mate Paul drove for them for a while…

Flitwick, was it JS Auker?, they are still going

Ron Hart had some nice lorries, Martyn Sharp used to Drive for him before he worked for Cole’s with me dad

Yes, JS Auker.

Knew the Stringer’s mentioned when working out of Marshalls in Sandy.

More hauliers etc…

Amorco originally from Sandy then Bedford

Debenhams on Elms Farm next door to Rogers who supplied 3M with a tractor unit to shunt trailers with. There was and possibly still is a bay at what was Debenhams warehouse that was a pain in the posterior to get onto if my memory serves me correctly…

Did Amorco pick up work/vehicles after the demise of Rogers?

Just found this link to Flickr for Ron Hart Motors, some good pics!

flickr.com/photos/truckerpa … 2699817824

They may have done, I left the area many years ago so lost track with who done what.

Looks like a Gringo Stringer ERF E10 in one of them pics. If it’s the one I’m thinking of it went onto Dave Holmes and I ended up driving it.

Yes Aukers are from Flitwick, right next to the railway line. A few photos, nmp.

409468AF-16ED-4CCF-B445-6AE166656821.jpeg

F73FF905-E9BA-4322-A2B5-37E1DD413193.jpeg

Poikey:
They may have done, I left the area many years ago so lost track with who done what.

Looks like a Gringo Stringer ERF E10 in one of them pics. If it’s the one I’m thinking of it went onto to Dave Holmes and I ended up driving it.

Found one photo of one of Stringers Poikey courtesy of Grant Sharlene.

5F5CFBCC-E282-4E50-8934-55557F045491.jpeg

Some rare olde motors there boys n gals! Try getting new drivers to try them out, they probably wouldn’t know what to do! :stuck_out_tongue:

This gem is off the internet, I’ve never seen this photo before. I counted around 100 motors visible in this shot!

Looks like AEC, Volvo and either Leyland/Dodge/Albion.