Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

Kempston:
As far as I know this is the same Fredrick Ray Dean, a very nice close of retirement bungalows near Bedford town centre.

frederickraytrust.org/

Fair play to the fella for doing that,cant knock him and you imagine he would have been a good boss. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

She’s a beauty!

Ridgeons today with 4 pallets of blocks.

137A4D2F-9EAA-459A-ABF5-50793EDD9AEE.jpeg

I bet they were a buga to climb into! NMP off FB

coomsey:
I bet they were a buga to climb into! NMP off FB

Can you imagine it on a windy day…

A few of Jackson’s demolition motors, a brand new scania, they always keep their motors immaculately.

77AC0E1E-9666-486A-8FAD-99F22BC10828.jpeg

Hi Coomsey, Getting in and out of the trucks back in the 1960s [for me] was normal, you had the grab handle on the side of the cab ,the front wheel had a wide trim type cover that you put over the wheel studs ,holding it in place, then put the wheels nuts on, then step up on that, no wonder me and probably thousands of older ex drivers have bad hips and knees i had forgotten ,then 40 years later driving in slippers.

Nice pics K, like you say Jackson’s always well turned out

I’ve managed to find some old pics from my previous postings in a former life as shunty1986
A few from John Hanlon & co where my dad worked for 16 years+
posted around 8 years ago but still good pics.

12159782134_000c054674_b.jpg

DSC_0008_copy.jpg

Picturetrucks 01.jpg

RUSS.jpg

Looks like one of Acorns scanias in the background.

DSC_0008_copy.jpg

If you must handball this one will do ! Only handballed bricks once,it was off a 6whlr Reiver,12 packs on my tod, told the gaffer if it happened again I’d be offski,he never put me on her again. I remember he set a Geordie fella on her after about a month he took her out with a load for South Wales,him n the lorry were never seen again ! NMP off FB

BRICKS 18.jpg

coomsey:
If you must handball this one will do ! Only handballed bricks once,it was off a 6whlr Reiver,12 packs on my tod, told the gaffer if it happened again I’d be offski,he never put me on her again. I remember he set a Geordie fella on her after about a month he took her out with a load for South Wales,him n the lorry were never seen again ! NMP off FB

Great story coomsey :laughing: my dads mate who used to take me out as a kid used to do it every day, not on his own I hasten to add, the drivers weren’t (iirc) even supposed to help but they used to get a good drink from the site foreman if they did.

Does anyone remember a bloke called mcgeachy (not sure if that’s spelt right),He was from Moggerhanger way if I remember rightly.he had a green leyland buffalo drawbar outfit and some ERF C series artics I think.
I remember seeing his lorries doing the London markets and loading from the same places as my father did

andrew.s:
Does anyone remember a bloke called mcgeachy (not sure if that’s spelt right),He was from Moggerhanger way if I remember rightly.he had a green leyland buffalo drawbar outfit and some ERF C series artics I think.
I remember seeing his lorries doing the London markets and loading from the same places as my father did

The only green leyland drawbar that I can recollect is this one but Lockeys were from Maulden so doubt it’s the one you’ referring too.

BDA53A58-D5FB-409C-A3B6-42D5B5245448.jpeg

Kempston:

andrew.s:

The only green leyland drawbar that I can recollect is this one but Lockeys were from Maulden so doubt it’s the one you’ referring too.

No it was flat bodied.it might not have been a buffalo-could have been an earlier model(badger?) it was definitely an ergo cabbed model though.

andrew.s:

Kempston:

andrew.s:

No it was flat bodied.it might not have been a buffalo-could have been an earlier model(badger?) it was definitely an ergo cabbed model though.

Just googled it, you definitely have the right spelling and yes you are correct the address shows as moggerhanger though I think that might be his home address as there doesn’t look like any land to park lorries. I must admit that name isn’t ringing any bells with me, maybe if I saw a photo of one it might stir the grey matter into life.

Some of Banks of Sandy, very surprised this was all I could find as they had a fair few motors, I knew someone that worked for them for a while, he told me that even if they only had half hour driving time left back at base they still had to get half hour up the road! I used to see them regularly punching up the M6 and A1. nmp.

0D8EA8B9-A611-4FDF-819E-5E4AD7159794.jpeg

8F78E037-E26E-4E27-AFC1-6D845E5AFF7C.jpeg

Hoiya all, new on here and joined just to reply to this thread.

Used to work for Roger’s of Bedford in the nineties when based at Hammond Road on Elms Farm which is the same yard that Planthaul ran out of, see picture elsewhere on this thread.

Mill Transport used to have a yard on what was Elstow Storage Depot. Then there was Cadwell Distribution ( I think! ) based at Fourwinds Garage on the A6 at top of Deadmans Hill.

Jack Cole who’s also mentioned on here was related to my mum…cousins if I remember rightly.

Buckdales Mercedes on here was originally a twin steer tractor from T Brady fleet of Barrow in Furness, ■■■■■■■■

A truck I used to drive…badge engineered as it’s actually a 2800. Used rope to secure pallets on.

Hello Poikey, welcome along!

Nothing wrong with a bit of badge engineering, you certainly were not the only one :slight_smile:

Relatives of Mr Cole too, by any chance can you remember the name of the firm that he and others used to work for pulling trailers for trailermann before he went on his own with Cobelfret?

If you have anymore pics to upload i’m sure we would all be pleased to see.
Cheers, Stu