Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

4 in hand,looked good on an artic not so on rigids . NMP off FB

coomsey:
4 in hand,looked good on an artic not so on rigids . NMP off FB

Brilliant photo coomsey, my first thought was I’ve never heard of them but then the cogs all started turning and I do, think what threw me was I’m sure they had mainly Dodge motors. Thanks for posting it. :slight_smile:

Just found another one on the internet coomsey, I don’t know for sure but I would hazard a guess he was loading out of Jordan’s flour mill.

Fully freighted today with the roof tiles.

C5B35F1D-38FB-4FE6-BEC0-0D8028C7A3A2.jpeg

2C493F1A-2266-47B4-B362-A109B3EF35AB.jpeg

You’d be king of the road with this little minky Kempston !! NMP off FB

coomsey:

Great photo again coomsey, thought I’d seen every London Brick photo that was ever taken but you proved me wrong. Wonder what it’s top speed would’ve been? Bet that spent many happy hours in Transport cafes :laughing:

Not a strap or net in sight… i bet 50’s Britain was festooned with bricks at roundabouts and tight turns! :smiley:
i suppose that they are packed in quite tight and that the roughness of the bricks held them in place!?

Kempston:

coomsey:

Great photo again coomsey, thought I’d seen every London Brick photo that was ever taken but you proved me wrong. Wonder what it’s top speed would’ve been? Bet that spent many happy hours in Transport cafes :laughing:

Don’t think she’d have been built for speed Kempston! More to the point what model/year was she, don’t remember seeing one before

SHUNT1986:
Not a strap or net in sight… i bet 50’s Britain was festooned with bricks at roundabouts and tight turns! :smiley:
i suppose that they are packed in quite tight and that the roughness of the bricks held them in place!?

I had an Octopus with mid mount crane n brick forks I used to rope the forks up by the headboard, rope let go on a roundabout near Rugeley, got a bit frantic getting back on before any cops appeared. Got a strap after that cheers coomsey

It appears to be a Leyland Cub, if I’m not mistaken. They were built from about 1935 onwards with a 4.7 straight-six diesel.

ERF-NGC-European:
It appears to be a Leyland Cub, if I’m not mistaken. They were built from about 1935 onwards with a 4.7 straight-six diesel.

Thanks Ro, a little beauty,bet she was a buga to drive though !

SHUNT1986:

Yes also shunt there was a tapered plank of wood running down both sides of the bed so the outside bricks were tilted inwardly, it’s surprisingly how little they moved tbh, always amazed me.

Kempston:

SHUNT1986:

Yes also shunt there was a tapered plank of wood running down both sides of the bed so the outside bricks were tilted inwardly, it’s surprisingly how little they moved tbh, always amazed me.

I did suspect other forces at play rather than just gravity and blind luck! :slight_smile: - cheers Kempston

I’m spoiling you now Kempston :smiley: NMP off FB

coomsey:
I’m spoiling you now Kempston :smiley: NMP off FB

You are coomsey :laughing: I’ve seen something similar to this before also clay pipes but I don’t think they did much of either as it’s not something you see on a regular basis.

Kempston:

DEANB:

Kempston:
“DEANB” Pentus Brown Foden’s.

Tidy looking motors Dean.

Yes i bet they did look nice. :wink:

European Plant Haulage Volvo F89 from 1977.

Never really understood why they folded tbh Dean, whether they were undercharging to get the work I have no idea but they always seemed busy.

EPH, Plantship, Planthaul & MCL have all gone but morphed into STG Ltd, originally had an office in The Mansards, Tavistock St. Bedford, now based in the iLab offices on Priory Business Park at Cardington Cross. Still abnormal loads but no lorries of their own.

Thanks for that info, didn’t know that at all.

Dave, What ever happened to Frederick Ray from Leighton Buzzard ?

Click on pages twice to read.

bedford fred ray 752 p beds.jpg

To be truthful Dean I’m not completely sure but there was definitely some link to E.Hull of Bedford as Hulls were taken over by charingtons as I believe were Rays, I often used to get a Freddy Rays in Allen’s via Jim Hull. What I do believe is they were swallowed up by the TWF group. I have a photo of one of Rays/TWF having just loaded out Allen’s in Bedford. It’s not a brilliant photo I’m afraid.

As far as I know this is the same Fredrick Ray Dean, a very nice close of retirement bungalows near Bedford town centre.

frederickraytrust.org/