Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

Star down under.:
The triangular badge, in the lower left corner of the grill, says “By Isuzu”.

I know it’s an Isuzu not a Hino,but I had to drive a Hino 700(?) series for nine months-without a doubt the worst ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ I’ve ever driven.
I would happily drive a KM every day for a living even now,over that ■■■■■■■ of a thing.
The KM would be more comfortable that’s for sure.

Commercial brochure.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

294558358_10160808012247565_1464143128575068894_n.jpg

The first one is a test vehicle.

Star down under.:

I love that!!

Buzzer

300414960_10225462495422153_3961488403010634436_n.jpg

@EP

Buzzer

andrew.s:

Star down under.:

I know it’s an Isuzu not a Hino,but I had to drive a Hino 700(?) series for nine months-without a doubt the worst piece of [zb] I’ve ever driven.
I would happily drive a KM every day for a living even now,over that [zb] of a thing.

This conversation has been had quite a few times before on this board, but you’re not wrong: the Japanese design and make some of the best electronics, hi-fi, pianos (Yamaha), motorbikes and cars going and their commercial vehicles are… not. It baffles me why Fuso and Isuzu and Hino still can’t match direct competition from Europe and the US while still selling so many vehicles worldwide.

ParkRoyal2100:

andrew.s:

Star down under.:

I know it’s an Isuzu not a Hino,but I had to drive a Hino 700(?) series for nine months-without a doubt the worst piece of [zb] I’ve ever driven.
I would happily drive a KM every day for a living even now,over that [zb] of a thing.

This conversation has been had quite a few times before on this board, but you’re not wrong: the Japanese design and make some of the best electronics, hi-fi, pianos (Yamaha), motorbikes and cars going and their commercial vehicles are… not. It baffles me why Fuso and Isuzu and Hino still can’t match direct competition from Europe and the US while still selling so many vehicles worldwide.

“while still selling so many vehicles worldwide.”

Could it be price, delivery times, guarantee and after sales support? I do not know the answer but imagine these points would sway me.

Dipster:

ParkRoyal2100:

andrew.s:

Star down under.:

“while still selling so many vehicles worldwide.”

Could it be price, delivery times, guarantee and after sales support? I do not know the answer but imagine these points would sway me.

Out here in The Colonies, distribution fleets buy them by the shipload, as do SE Asian nations. It is certainly about availability and price, although parts break frequently and are neither cheap to replace or as readily available as promised. I read a couple of comments from someone on this board a while back (can’t put my finger on the thread) who related the feedback from drivers of the fleet of new Isuzu middle-weight trucks bought by a large UK distribution chain - “utter rubbish” would be putting it euphemistically, the drivers hated them. If the wagon is rubbish to drive, no driver on the fleet will give a toss about how they drive it and bang goes your “available and cheap to run” business model.

I’ve driven many Jap trucks in my time here in Oz: a few were okay (I could work with them), the rest have been various shades of awful. I admit that my opinion is biased, but when a 1980s Isuzu SBR was worse to drive and had worse ergonomics than various Bedford TLs that I’d driven many years earlier…

Happily drive an old Kenworth over an Isuzu-we have a 14 ton one-can’t remember the model-whilst not too bad to drive-I had the displeasure of being a passenger for just under two hours on U.K. main roads-when we got back to our yard I seriously had no feeling in either leg-I looked like I fell out of it-I’m not normally a passenger but it was so bad it was disgusting.
I stand by what I said earlier-a Bedford KM/TK would be much more comfortable.slightly noisier but I could live with that to actually feel my legs-we get all this health and safety ■■■■-hand arm vibration ■■■■■■■■,but travelling in a 2018 lorry did much more damage to me as far as I’m concerned-and we were actually supposed to have a third man-impossible for more than a lift down the road.
The japs can build decent cars,but obviously regard professional drivers as something to be designed in spite of. Utter garbage.
Give me a Ford cargo over that ■■■■ any day.
So glad to have my daf cf back-for all it’s faults it certainly isn’t uncomfortable

This line up of Post Office Bedford QLD’s were registered London 1946 to 47 and likely ex military stock that possibly didn’t see service during the war years but sold off as many others were after WWII when civilian lorries were in short supply, due to most manufacturers having turned to supplying vehicles or equipment for the military. No doubt the 4x4 capability of these proved useful to the GPO especially out in the sticks. Franky.

Seen recently in the black country

B3F2D534-D0F1-472A-8C8E-59245851CCDD.jpeg

I’m guessing this must have been adapted for shop delivery as I’ve never seen one like this before?

Clever!