Bedale transport north yorkshire

hi does any body know about bedale transport from .bedale north yorkshire.they ran white and red scanias mostly bulk tippers i think they ran about twenty . does anybody have any info or photos. :smiley:

Heres one off m200pal flickr site hope he wont mind me putting it on here.
Bedale Transport.jpg

Hi ragamuffin,
I can remember seeing the Scania ( and Volvo ? ) tippers in the 1980s , but sadly Ive no photographs.
IIRC, there was the name " Lyon" associated with Bedale Transport , maybe the Lyon
family were the owners.
At the rear of the garage/workshop was a huge graveyard of old Scanias.

There was a Weighbridge at the front of the yard , where we often weighed loads of hay & straw.

I havent driven through Patrick Brompton for about 6 years , so Im sorry that I can`t update you .

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Aye i delivered fuel to them for a long time,i remember them being took over by Harry Lyon(not so good to get on with)his brother John from Catterick Bridge was a true gent,i think John took both depots on later on and it all was known as John Lyon Transport.

Hi v7victor,
Was there any connection between Bedale Transport/Lyon/Lion and a tipper haulage company at Carlisle ?
IIRC, there were Scania units parked there bearing Carlisle area addresses . Was the name Hinchcliffe ( Carlisle )
in any way connected ? Similar colours and livery,… and Scania & Volvo operators too.

Over to you …

cattle wagon man:
Hi v7victor,
Was there any connection between Bedale Transport/Lyon/Lion and a tipper haulage company at Carlisle ?
IIRC, there were Scania units parked there bearing Carlisle area addresses . Was the name Hinchcliffe ( Carlisle )
in any way connected ? Similar colours and livery,… and Scania & Volvo operators too.

Over to you …

Hi CWM,I done a lot of work in Carlisle but i did not know of a lyon there,i did know Peter Hinchcliffe but i don’t think they were conected,but maybe John /Harry got some secondhand motors from him.

Harry Lyon trading as Bedale took over some work (and possibly some of the waggons) in the Durham / Wearside area when Jimmy (AB) Seymour from Trimdon packed in. I know at least one of Seymour’s drivers went to work for Bedale. They use to deliver coke to us from the likes of Fishburn coke works through Clark Taylor.

Heres a photo of the yard of late(not the best of pics)

I remember them well still go past the yard now and it has Christhensen (?) wagons in there from Aberdeen

See Harry Lyon at vintage truck and steamer show’s alway’s good to have the criac with, cheer’s bob

black box could you ask him if he as any photos as im trying to gather info and photos so i can model bedale transport in 1.87 scale.thanks ragamuffin :smiley:

Hi ragamuffin you could try Hargreaves ltd 01913734485 they will have his tele no i think , they took over R A Young and harry was good friends with bob and alan young hope this helps you cheer’s bob.

A firm at Seaton Burn bought one of their 8 Wheel Fodens & it had a Scania engine in a one off I would think, Regards Larry.

Been past the yard at Patrick Brompton a few times recently , used to have a Scammell Handyman unit parked ( show condition)

NNL136R Was new to w armstrong prestwick ponteland oct 76 my dad had it for three month the mrs armstrong closed up shop.

tyneside:
Harry Lyon trading as Bedale took over some work (and possibly some of the waggons) in the Durham / Wearside area when Jimmy (AB) Seymour from Trimdon packed in. I know at least one of Seymour’s drivers went to work for Bedale. They use to deliver coke to us from the likes of Fishburn coke works through Clark Taylor.

hi would that be Clark Taylor company that had Cazally bros…■■ or something to do wi them…i worked for Clark Taylor out of a Sawmill south o Lockerbie (loads an loads of pit props)in the mid 70s and the Cazally drivers backloaded out o there and said we all worked for the same bosses.
sorry for taking the thread of course.
jimmy.

JIMBO47:

tyneside:

hi would that be Clark Taylor company that had Cazally bros…■■ or something to do wi them…i worked for Clark Taylor out of a Sawmill south o Lockerbie (loads an loads of pit props)in the mid 70s and the Cazally drivers backloaded out o there and said we all worked for the same bosses.
sorry for taking the thread of course.
jimmy.

Hi JIMBO47 Yes that is the same Clark Taylor. They were solid fuel wholesalers and were the “middle men” between the NCB and the retail coalmen like ourselves. They also held the leases on a lot of the coal railway sidings which they rented out on an individual basis. As you say they also owned Cazaly Bros who were based in (I think) Wideopen or Hazlerigg just North of Newcastle. The manager was called Jim ■■?
If Larry Dunbar is reading this he will be able to provide a bit more detail. Not sure what their timber yard interests were but if they were pit props destined for the NE pits their finger would be in the pie somewhere.
The main office was in Portland Terrace, Newcastle but in the late eighties, as the coal trade diminished, they moved onto the Team Valley Estate.
The business closed altogether about the early nineties. Cheers Tyneside

RE… Clark Taylor they owned 2 sawmills just south o Lockerbie just off the A74 …at Castlemilk…the small stamp mill could be seen from the road and mostly put out posts and the new mill(well in 77ish) produced Props ,fencing . A lot o folk would mind this place as the police used the weighbridge all the time.
yup wideopen industrial estate was cazally .
i can remember the main men from the NE coming over when ever a client wanted shown round. :unamused:
We ran a 76reg Merc 6x4 timber truck it was not in Cazaly colours but any probs /servicing went through the NE>
sorry again for being off thread
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
RE… Clark Taylor they owned 2 sawmills just south o Lockerbie just off the A74 …at Castlemilk…the small stamp mill could be seen from the road and mostly put out posts and the new mill(well in 77ish) produced Props ,fencing . A lot o folk would mind this place as the police used the weighbridge all the time.
yup wideopen industrial estate was cazally .
i can remember the main men from the NE coming over when ever a client wanted shown round. :unamused:
We ran a 76reg Merc 6x4 timber truck it was not in Cazaly colours but any probs /servicing went through the NE>
sorry again for being off thread
jimmy.

Hi JIMBO47 & apologies to everyone for going off thread once again. We used to always deal with a chap called Jack Telfer from Clark Taylor. Not sure if he was a director or senior manager. He used to collect CASH weekly from some of the merchants for the previous weeks supplies. This was always on an evening. About once a month he would call at our house after collecting to see my Dad and have a glass or two of Bell’s. He always wore an overcoat with a “poachers pocket” for the cash and by this time of night it was usually bulging. Sometimes the glass or two would evolve into three or four and he would then drive home. This was in the 60’s/70’s and I often wonder what would happen these days if he got stopped and breathalysed and then all that cash was found in his pocket !!!

Just had the sad news that Harry Lyon owner of the former bedale transport and Lyon of bedale lost his battle with cancer at the age of 67 a great old character