Bedale transport north yorkshire

So sorry to hear that, all ways had time for abit of criac RIP harry

Lawrence Dunbar:
A firm at Seaton Burn bought one of their 8 Wheel Fodens & it had a Scania engine in a one off I would think, Regards Larry.

It was a D reg Foden reg no D992 BAJ and it came with a ■■■■■■■ L10 290 when it was new, it went well for the first 3 years running 7 days a week across to kronospan at Chirk with urea from ICI although I do remember the first winter we had it when it was only a few months old my dad and I went down to the yard to start all the lorries about 5am one morning as it had been extremely cold and it was the only bloody thing that didn’t start. At about 3 years old it seized 2 engines in the space of a few weeks which is when we put a Scania 111 engine into it and it was no bother after that. I can’t remember the blokes name who bought it but if I remember right there were 2 brothers and they bought a few lorries off my dad over the years.

Is the f12 globetrotter still in action :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing:

metcalfe135:

Lawrence Dunbar:
A firm at Seaton Burn bought one of their 8 Wheel Fodens & it had a Scania engine in a one off I would think, Regards Larry.

It was a D reg Foden reg no D992 BAJ and it came with a ■■■■■■■ L10 290 when it was new, it went well for the first 3 years running 7 days a week across to kronospan at Chirk with urea from ICI although I do remember the first winter we had it when it was only a few months old my dad and I went down to the yard to start all the lorries about 5am one morning as it had been extremely cold and it was the only bloody thing that didn’t start. At about 3 years old it seized 2 engines in the space of a few weeks which is when we put a Scania 111 engine into it and it was no bother after that. I can’t remember the blokes name who bought it but if I remember right there were 2 brothers and they bought a few lorries off my dad over the years.

That’s correct, The two brothers were called Boiston they are my cousins, They bought a F7 Volvo from him it was a ex J & R Youngs motor, It was the only wagon they ran for two months and traded it back in for the Scania engine Foden, They didn’t rate the Volvo at all, In fact they refered to it as a gutless usleless item, Of course they ran Fodens for donkeys years, They also had a Foden Unit that they bought from him, Happy Foden days Eh, Regards Larry.I think this one came from him to.

Lawrence Dunbar:

metcalfe135:

Lawrence Dunbar:

That’s correct, The two brothers were called Boiston they are my cousins, They bought a F7 Volvo from him it was a ex J & R Youngs motor, It was the only wagon they ran for two months and traded it back in for the Scania engine Foden, They didn’t rate the Volvo at all, In fact they refered to it as a gutless usleless item, Of course they ran Fodens for donkeys years, They also had a Foden Unit that they bought from him, Happy Foden days Eh, Regards Larry.I think this one came from him to.

Correction, The F7 Was one of R&A Youngs motor from Eshwinning, Regards Larry.

My first encounter with the Lyon family was when I was loading bulk “Stimuflav” from Ballantynes distillery in Dumbarton and I met a John Lyon driver by the name of Frankie Buck whom I believe was from Leyburn. He was driving a Mandator and later had a 240 F88 OAJ ■■? M or N not sure.Anyway John and I did reciprocal work i.e he would load. me from the North East to Scotland and I would load him back from Elgin to Oldacres in Bishops Cleeve. I believe IIRC he bought a company colled Veitch from Gainford about this time and I spent many nights at John’s house in Richmond admiring his paintings as he was a very gifted artist and painter.I never did anything with Harry but remember his registration no on his car HJL 10N. Always loved the village name Patrick Brompton and the telephone exchange was Constable Burton. I understand that the yard in Patrick Brompton is now occupied by J J Ward the walking floor trailer hauliers. Sorry to hear about Harry RIP was told by Cliff Sayer recently when I collected a hire tanker from him.

The Foden tractor unit did come from my dad as did the trailer. If I remember right the Foden used to have roller Coaster written on the front.

Sadly Frank Buck died just before Christmas after bravely fighting cancer, he was a cracking bloke and a good friend who drove for both my uncle John and my dad before running his own lorry for years before retiring. My uncle John is still about and still lives in the same house in Richmond he’s in his early 70’s now and has been retired for a few years. I also used to load out of Dumbarton with the same stuff when I drove for Reids of Minishant in the late 90’s. My dad and uncle John both used to do a lot from the North of Scotland as my Granny came from Nairn so they spent a lot of time up there and knew a lot of people in that area. As a result of this I still buy a lot of trailers from that area from the likes of Bannermans, Ian S Rogers and R&j Milne.

metcalfe135:
The Foden tractor unit did come from my dad as did the trailer. If I remember right the Foden used to have roller Coaster written on the front.

That’s correct, The older brother of the two drove it, He had Roller Coaster on the front as it had a RR, engine, It came from Scotland originally, I think your Dad used to buy quite a few motors from them , Cant remember their name though, Regards Larry.

I remember going past the Bedale yard with my dad mid 80s ,he would take scrap to I think Stillington ? Then load flur spar from surrender bridge up from Reeth bound for Horace Taylor minerals nr Matlock ,I wonder if Bedales would of done this job too ?

Lawrence Dunbar:

metcalfe135:

That’s correct, The older brother of the two drove it, He had Roller Coaster on the front as it had a RR, engine, It came from Scotland originally, I think your Dad used to buy quite a few motors from them , Cant remember their name though, Regards Larry.

Dad used to buy a lot of motors from Baillie Brothers the Foden dealers in Elgin but I can’t remember who this one used to belong too.

metcalfe135:
Sadly Frank Buck died just before Christmas after bravely fighting cancer, he was a cracking bloke and a good friend who drove for both my uncle John and my dad before running his own lorry for years before retiring. My uncle John is still about and still lives in the same house in Richmond he’s in his early 70’s now and has been retired for a few years. I also used to load out of Dumbarton with the same stuff when I drove for Reids of Minishant in the late 90’s. My dad and uncle John both used to do a lot from the North of Scotland as my Granny came from Nairn so they spent a lot of time up there and knew a lot of people in that area. As a result of this I still buy a lot of trailers from that area from the likes of Bannermans, Ian S Rogers and R&j Milne.

If you have occasion to speak to John please tell him that Noel Minchew was asking after him and give him my fond regards Thanks

Dan Punchard:
I remember going past the Bedale yard with my dad mid 80s ,he would take scrap to I think Stillington ? Then load flur spar from surrender bridge up from Reeth bound for Horace Taylor minerals nr Matlock ,I wonder if Bedales would of done this job too ?

I can’t remember us doing this job but we used to do the odd load from Alcan at Lynemouth to Eyam on account of James of Bedlington. We also used to reload out of a lot of quarries around Buxton.

metcalfe135:

Dan Punchard:

I can’t remember us doing this job but we used to do the odd load from Alcan at Lynemouth to Eyam on account of James of Bedlington. We also used to reload out of a lot of quarries around Buxton.

Hi just remembered it was called old gang mine and the man who loaded you was called Charles he lived south of Reeth in the valley .

This is the Boiston Brothers having a laugh after their Foden was wrecked, Regards Larry.

metcalfe135:

Lawrence Dunbar:

metcalfe135:

Dad used to buy a lot of motors from Baillie Brothers the Foden dealers in Elgin but I can’t remember who this one used to belong too.

This one that Brian Patterson had may have come from your Dad, Plus Boistons had a one that belonged to Bobby Cambell from up that way, Regards Larry.

A mate of mine gets the the Commercial Motor magazine handed down to him and when he has finished with them he hands them to me so they are a few months old by the time I get to read them. I picked up one the other dated 27/7/14 and it said KW Bulk Services of Leeming Bar were wanting to change their operating centre and they also wanted to base three vehicles at the Garage Patrick Brompton. regards prattman.

Here’s a photo I took of one of Bedale’s Scania units at Tip-Con in the mid 80’s.regards prattman.

ragamuffin:
hi does any body know about bedale transport from .bedale north yorkshire.they ran white and red scanias mostly bulk tippers i think they ran about twenty . does anybody have any info or photos. :smiley:

A few from my collection, late 80’s. Someone out there may recognize the young man washing the wheels, who will now be more like in his early forties■■?

Barry/Gloves