Beamish and other "Living Museums"

I visited Beamish last weekend for the first time in many years :blush: :blush: Here’s a few shots I took of the vehicles I encountered. The buses and trams are resident and carry the visitors around the site, I have a lot more pics but they are on the Pc which is having problems, but I managed to get a few on the laptop. I think we are very lucky to have such a magic venue on our doorstep. I hope other museums enthusiasts will add to the thread. regards Kevmac47.

Excellent pics Kevmac, I’ll be going to Beamish in September for their annual classic car rally. I’m a member of the North East Restoration Club in Washington and while it’s not really a museum there’s plenty of old vehicles in there, mostly cars but with a smattering of old bikes and a few commercials. We’re having an open day on May 13th and I can recommend it to anyone interested in vintage and classic vehicles.

kevmac47:
I visited Beamish last weekend for the first time in many years :blush: :blush: Here’s a few shots I took of the vehicles I encountered. The buses and trams are resident and carry the visitors around the site, I have a lot more pics but they are on the Pc which is having problems, but I managed to get a few on the laptop. I think we are very lucky to have such a magic venue on our doorstep. I hope other museums enthusiasts will add to the thread. regards Kevmac47

Beamish is a wonderful place and I’ve been several times, though not since this photo was taken, and I imagine it has been further developed since then.

This is one of a whole series of photos taken as part of a whole day’s photoshoot at Beamish for Edbro, for publicity for their 75th Anniversary. The Thornycroft is reckoned to be the oldest hydraulic tipper still in working order - it’s the original, actually fitted to the motor when it was new in 1924.

It was a freezing cold, midweek day in late November (I think 1996), and I remember having a right old tussle getting the rascal to start on the handle. The clogs were a good size too small and were pinching my feet something rotten, and I was frozen to the marrow by the time we’d finished. Then I set off home to Lancashire in a Gardner-engined Atki with no heater…

This is my favourite shot of Beamish.

The Sun Inn in the background, close to the shops so the ladies can window shop and I can buy Porter at 2 groats a pint :stuck_out_tongue:

The place is amazing, we were there for 3 days in 2010 and I watched a programme last week about rebuilding an old coal fired Chip Shop near the schoolhouse and workers cottages.

Eden Camp is good, as is York Railway Museum

These are the only ones I have from a museum.Wil they do.

Hi Mate
Where is the Commercial Vehicle Museum? I would love to vist that. My wife has booked us on a holiday on the north east coast for my retirement in June and Beamish is one of the places we are going to vist.
Cliff

Stanfield:
These are the only ones I have from a museum.Wil they do.10

The Commercial Vehicle Museum is in one of the old Leyland Motors factories at, of all places, Leyland.

Google BCVM and you will see their site.

If you plan to visit have a look at which weekend there are special events on the car park and try to go then.

The Bowkers Beaver in the photo somewhere higher up this thread was recently burn out but Bowker has bought another restored bonneted one and it has been painted in his livery. I was at the Museum last weekend and was told that it will be there any day now.
I am a member and will be there again in the morning for the Ford show and if the Beaver is there I will take some photos of it.

It is many years since I went to Beamish and really enjoyed it, I see there has been many more exhibits so another visit is planned.

Russell.

south Yorkshire transport museum aldwarke

Milestones in Basingstoke is very good. Plenty of Thorneycroft stuff there.

revman:
south Yorkshire transport museum aldwarke

The Leyland Comet in Armstrong Cork colours looks very like the late Bill Wilkinsons pride and joy. He would be very pleased to know its still around. regards Kevmac47

A few more from the BCVM Leyland.

Tankerman
Thanks for the info mate I am going to see that. I know were the Leyland site is I used to load rubber hoses from BTR at Leyland.
Cliff

Tankerman:
The Commercial Vehicle Museum is in one of the old Leyland Motors factories at, of all places, Leyland.

Google BCVM and you will see their site.

If you plan to visit have a look at which weekend there are special events on the car park and try to go then.

The Bowkers Beaver in the photo somewhere higher up this thread was recently burn out but Bowker has bought another restored bonneted one and it has been painted in his livery. I was at the Museum last weekend and was told that it will be there any day now.
I am a member and will be there again in the morning for the Ford show and if the Beaver is there I will take some photos of it.

It is many years since I went to Beamish and really enjoyed it, I see there has been many more exhibits so another visit is planned.

Russell.

Imperial War Museum, Duxford.

Kevin the Comet is not ECN 73. It is now owned by a haulage contractor in Banbury and has a livestock body.

ERF64cu1:
Kevin the Comet is not ECN 73. It is now owned by a haulage contractor in Banbury and has a livestock body.

Evening gents; Do you mean this one? :smiley:

NathanB:

ERF64cu1:

Evening gents; Do you mean this one? :smiley:

Thats the motor Nathan. Iain, I think your uncle Bill would be happy to see "his "Comet looking so good. regards Kev.

We have both drove many a happy mile in that motor. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ERF64cu1:
We have both drove many a happy mile in that motor. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Your right there Iain, your “uncle Bill” was one of the true “knights of the road”, great memories of years gone by. Regards Kev.