Beamish and other "Living Museums"

kevmac47:

ERF64cu1:
We have both drove many a happy mile in that motor. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Your right there Iain, your “uncle Bill” was one of the true “knights of the road”, great memories of years gone by. Regards Kev.

Iain, I wonder if the Comet will ever come back north for the Tyne Tees Run? I think it would get a very good reception as it was a stalwart for many years. Regards Kev.

Carlc:
Hi Mate
Where is the Commercial Vehicle Museum? I would love to vist that. My wife has booked us on a holiday on the north east coast for my retirement in June and Beamish is one of the places we are going to vist.
Cliff

Stanfield:
These are the only ones I have from a museum.Wil they do.10

If you are up here on June 3rd you could see the Tyne Tees Commercial Run at Bents Park , South Shields.

Lovely, always wanted to go to Beamish, it’s a long way away but I’ll make it someday…

Harry Monk:
Lovely, always wanted to go to Beamish, it’s a long way away but I’ll make it someday…

It is worth a couple of cheap travelodge nights Harry, you wont see enough in one day, there is enough to keep you occupied for a week I imagine.

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

It is worth a couple of cheap travelodge nights Harry, you wont see enough in one day, there is enough to keep you occupied for a week I imagine.

I’m thinking that when I get my truck on the road, I could look at getting weekended somewhere nearby?

Bowmans Classic Commercial Museum at Shildon, next to the Rail Museum is also worth a visit. They have some nice examples of Bedfords as well as other items. A little cluttered as seen in these pics but nice restorations and there are some ‘to be done’ vehicles outside in pretty poor condition but its amazing what can be done with what looks like total scrap.
They are looking for more visitors so try and visit this Summer.

A few more from the museum at Leyland nr Chorley.Remember to take cash if you go for a visit has they dont take credit cards.(just a thought)
Leyland @ Museum 1.JPG
Leyland Beaver @ Museum 2.JPG
Leyland Octopus @ Museum.JPG
This one is not exactly a museum its Mr Baileys workshop

Graham Baileys Seddon & Albion.jpg

kevmac47:

NathanB:

ERF64cu1:
Kevin the Comet is not ECN 73. It is now owned by a haulage contractor in Banbury and has a livestock body.

Evening gents; Do you mean this one? :smiley:

Thats the motor Nathan. Iain, I think your uncle Bill would be happy to see "his "Comet looking so good. regards Kev.

Iain, I knew I had a shot of your uncle Bill somewhere, I think this was at the Gateshead Garden Festival 1990ish?
Regards Kev.

Here’s another taken at Beamish, This 1912 Ransome,Sims,and Jeffries engine has been in Dave Cuthbertsons family since 1954. Built in 1912, it was bought as a wedding present for the first owner along with the ploughing and threshing equipment, to enable him to start an agricultural contracting business. Regards Kev. Ps This is a local engine it spent all its working life in the County Durham and North Yorks area.

We visited the museum at Leyland around three years ago and they have the last Foden ever built as well as the prototype Rootes TS4 engine which never went into production. Beamish we have done a few times, even had a caravan rally in the grounds back in 1990, but each time we visit there is even more to see though we have never been when any of the special events have been on.

Pete.

The first three images are from Crich Tram Museum

Crich Tramway 074.JPG

Thank’s for the Crich shots, I really do intend to visit there shortly. More of the same please. (Anything thats relevant). By the way,DON’T try to laminate the pass for Beamish, it’s thermally printed and will turn black. I’m talking from experience. :blush: :blush: I’ll have to go and get a replacement. They will change it for £3.50p. Don’t laugh I was only trying to be clever. :unamused: :unamused: regards Kev.

Crich is a good day out, although very small compared to Beamish. They do have a lot of themed days where they have staff dressed in period costume, and after walking round the museum, take a run up to Crich Stand.

Crich Tramway 109.JPG

Crich Tramway 104.JPG

Crich Tramway 097.JPG

Crich Tramway 096.JPG

Crich Tramway 092.JPG

Wheel Nut:
Crich is a good day out, although very small compared to Beamish. They do have a lot of themed days where they have staff dressed in period costume, and after walking round the museum, take a run up to Crich Stand.

T hanks Wheelnut, I love the “Jag” could they be villians looking for a bank to rob? regards Kev. Ps I think I watched to much of “The Sweeney” :smiley:

Kev there was somebody worked for Armstong Cork restored an old Riley my missus reupholsterd the seats for him, can`t remember his name,went to se it at the first show he did which was Saltwell Park must be around 20yr ago now remember seeing Fat 1 there he had an old camper.

greek:
Kev there was somebody worked for Armstong Cork restored an old Riley my missus reupholsterd the seats for him, can`t remember his name,went to se it at the first show he did which was Saltwell Park must be around 20yr ago now remember seeing Fat 1 there he had an old camper.

Hello Kenny, I remember the lad your talking about, first name Jimmy, but memories gone blank for his surname. I’m sure ERF64cu1 will come up with his name. By the way do you have any proof that FAT1 is an old camper? :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp: . I know he does follow this thread, this might get him fired up to make him contribute. Come on Dave, answer please :smiley: :smiley: . Regards Kev.

Here’s some more taken at Beamish, taken by John Urwin who is a far better " snapper" than me.

The BSA Is a 1923 reg, a real classic eh, Regards Larry.