Beacons.

I’ve got a little question to ask the low loader, heavy haulage chaps on here, is it law to have your beacons on all the time even with only a small load on?? The reason I ask is yesterday coming out of Knottingley there was a chap with a low loader with them on, he didn’t have anything on the trailer and it wasn’t a rear steer so I flicked my beacons on and off to tell him. He then stopped on the exit of the roundabout blocking all the traffic opened the window to tell me it’s the fking law he has them on and what would I know driving a tipper! :smiley: At this point he was nearly foaming at the mouth so it was obvious he was in a bad mood so I told him to have a lovely day (which was met with fk off) and off I popped. So the question is, is it law or was this bloke a Royal ■■■?? Cheers.

I thought compulsory use of beacons on public roads only applied to vehicles with limited design speed, such as farm tractors. Most construction sites and highways working insist on you using them and I know abnormal loads need marker plates and sometimes marker lights, but never read anything about amber beacons being a legal requirement for low loaders or recovery vehicles?

I wonder if it was the same chap who drives with the front fog lights on when it’s a glorious sunny day but fails to use them when there’s a real pea souper

And the AA people who have them on when towing a broken down Smart car.
I think some low loaders, the beacons are wired up along with the other lights so once plugged in they stay on. Unless the trailer was unusually wide which would explain why they were left on.

Generally whats known in the trade as : GLORY Lights :sunglasses: .
Tape measure and knowing the lighting regs & carriage of goods and law requirements required - so my mate biggus dickus says :wink:
First off ,
Was the construction of the vehicle or including any load carried more than 2.9 metres in width :question:
Was the construction of the vehicle or any load carried including projection longer or more than 18.3 metres :question: or , in the combination of the vehicles :question:
Was the vehicles (including the towing of a trailer ) of the construction/use of the vehicle, speed limited to 25 mph or less :question:
Was the vehicle /combination an agricultural vehicle :question:
Was the vehicle entering / travelling within / or exiting a construction site where there are specific requirements :question:
.If not , turn the fekker off :grimacing:

It’s the 7.5t slide bed recovery guys carrying a car that get me. Where is the load? on the back just like any other normal vehicle.

I sometimes come across bin lorries,no pun intended :smiley: .When they are festooned in glory lights how are we to know when they use the indicators?

trux:
Generally whats known in the trade as : GLORY Lights :sunglasses: .
Tape measure and knowing the lighting regs & carriage of goods and law requirements required - so my mate biggus dickus says :wink:
First off ,
Was the construction of the vehicle or including any load carried more than 2.9 metres in width :question:
Was the construction of the vehicle or any load carried including projection longer or more than 18.3 metres :question: or , in the combination of the vehicles :question:
Was the vehicles (including the towing of a trailer ) of the construction/use of the vehicle, speed limited to 25 mph or less :question:
Was the vehicle /combination an agricultural vehicle :question:
Was the vehicle entering / travelling within / or exiting a construction site where there are specific requirements :question:
.If not , turn the fekker off :grimacing:

No to all of the above. :laughing:

alamcculloch:
I sometimes come across bin lorries,no pun intended :smiley: .When they are festooned in glory lights how are we to know when they use the indicators?

They don’t, they will move off as you overtake them.

alamcculloch:

That’s exactly what bugs me about something with a million flashing amber beacons. You can’t tell if they indicating or not. The AA trucks i used to drive had a night mode for their amber beacons. It halfed the power going to the bulbs making them dimmer but still visible, meaning people following you never got dazzled.

I was in a puddlejumper going up a main road when I met the bin man in full glory mode flashing ambers on the roof flashing amber below the windscreen and dipped headlights .He put on his right indicator but I didnt see it ,if I did I would have given way to him and made both of our lives easier.

diggers tractors etc only need beacons on when on unrestricted dual carriageways unless oversize or long etc

Gass:
I’ve got a little question to ask the low loader, heavy haulage chaps on here, is it law to have your beacons on all the time even with only a small load on?? The reason I ask is yesterday coming out of Knottingley there was a chap with a low loader with them on, he didn’t have anything on the trailer and it wasn’t a rear steer so I flicked my beacons on and off to tell him. He then stopped on the exit of the roundabout blocking all the traffic opened the window to tell me it’s the fking law he has them on and what would I know driving a tipper! :smiley: At this point he was nearly foaming at the mouth so it was obvious he was in a bad mood so I told him to have a lovely day (which was met with fk off) and off I popped. So the question is, is it law or was this bloke a Royal ■■■?? Cheers.

There has to be more to this - You flicked your beacons on and off and somehow he knows from this that you’ve noticed his beacons are on and you think he doesn’t know/has forgotten to switch them off? Telepathy? Or were there some other hand signals/gestures involved?

Only time it bothers me in the slightest is when I end up following one of the ■■■■ in the dark on the Motorway with the full-on strobe effect in my face. If it gets too much, I drop back and let someone else enjoy the show.

I’m for ever leaving mine on when I come off site , I’ve twigged now but used to think what’s he pointing at the sky for , never seen that warning before , then it just commes to me , beacon :blush: :cry: :cry: .dark nights help as shows the reflection up more .

Why does the even a simple labourers’ transit van have those large light bars on, what was wrong with a simple flashing light? I also don’t get quarry and building sites’ obsessions with having them switched on. Can’t you see a lorry without it lit up like a christmas tree?

Roymondo:

Gass:

There has to be more to this - You flicked your beacons on and off and somehow he knows from this that you’ve noticed his beacons are on and you think he doesn’t know/has forgotten to switch them off? Telepathy? Or were there some other hand signals/gestures involved?

Only time it bothers me in the slightest is when I end up following one of the ■■■■ in the dark on the Motorway with the full-on strobe effect in my face. If it gets too much, I drop back and let someone else enjoy the show.

Nothing more to it, I just flicked them on and off and he hits the brakes to tell me how much he was annoyed at me :laughing:
There were quite a few of us on the job so i might have been the 10th tipper to tell him and I was just unlucky that he collared me.
It just made me chuckle that he got so angry just for letting him know. I’ve seen people get less angry in a pub fight!!!

alamcculloch:

Half of them don’t use then

alamcculloch:
He put on his right indicator but I didnt see it

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now there’s a quote :unamused:

I used to drive a dustcart on cardboard recycling for sita,i allways left the yard without them on and as soon as I got to the first pick up they went on and stayed on until the last pick up,a lot of the fellas used to go out with their beacons on even if their round was about 5 to 10 miles away,did not see the point of it and neither did sita when they put a memo out telling drivers only to put them on when on their round,i think the drivers liked seeing the lights on in the dark

cav551:
It’s the 7.5t slide bed recovery guys carrying a car that get me. Where is the load? on the back just like any other normal vehicle.

Makes my skin crawl, I drive an 18t recovery lorry, only used beacons a couple of times a week, usually if recovering on public roads, sometimes when coming through tight areas if I’ve got something big in the spec, why these idiots, as well as the ones on glorified transit vans feel the need to use them whilst doing 60mph in lane 2 is beyond me…utter tools