Beacons.

if he was operating under STGO then the use of beacons is required loaded or empty its laid down in the special vehicle regulations from 1998 which then became special type general order in 2003.

regulation 6 from the rules reads.

1. An amber warning beacon shall be fitted and used on the drawing vehicle and on the
    end trailer of the combination of vehicles.

so the guy wasn’t being a royal ■■■ and it was probably better you had not said anything if you didn’t know the rules and let the guy get on with his job legally

The switch for my beacons is rubbish and I occasionally forget to turn them off if I have loaded/unloaded on a road or on a site, I feel a right ■■■ when I forget to turn them off and I am glad if someone points it out. I go more orange than the beacons :blush: :laughing:

wildfire:
if he was operating under STGO then the use of beacons is required loaded or empty its laid down in the special vehicle regulations from 1998 which then became special type general order in 2003.

1. An amber warning beacon shall be fitted and used on the drawing vehicle and on the

so the guy wasn’t being a royal ■■■ and it was probably better you had not said anything if you didn’t know the rules and let the guy get on with his job legally

I don’t know where you’re quoting that from, but it doesn’t appear in STGO 2003 (which, somewhat confusingly, is actually Statutory Instrument 1998 of 2003). There are a couple of references to warning beacons in STGO 2003, but they only relate specifically to mobile cranes and recovery vehicles.

Roymondo:

wildfire:

I don’t know where you’re quoting that from, but it doesn’t appear in STGO 2003 (which, somewhat confusingly, is actually Statutory Instrument 1998 of 2003). There are a couple of references to warning beacons in STGO 2003, but they only relate specifically to mobile cranes and recovery vehicles.

From what I understand stgo is an extension of the special vehicle regulations 1998, well that’s the way I read it. If I am wrong Roymond then I bow to your knowledge.
But I was always told when operating under stgo regs and if the trailer is over a certain size, length ect beacons had to be use regardless.

Not an extension of the 1998 legislation - STGO 2003 repealed the 1998 SI. Is that where the quoted text comes from?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62532

still duno :laughing:

In my opinion this topic should be filed under “who gives a toss”

gazsa401:
I wonder if it was the same chap who drives with the front fog lights on when it’s a glorious sunny day but fails to use them when there’s a real pea souper

I used to get annoyed by these type of antics, these people are doing us a favour by using fog lights/beacons ETC.

It gives us the means to identify those who are incompetent thereby giving them a wide berth and avoiding any incidents/accidents.

mike68:

gazsa401:
I wonder if it was the same chap who drives with the front fog lights on when it’s a glorious sunny day but fails to use them when there’s a real pea souper

I used to get annoyed by these type of antics, these people are doing us a favour by using fog lights/beacons ETC.

It gives us the means to identify those who are incompetent thereby giving them a wide berth and avoiding any incidents/accidents.

A bit like people who have “powered by fairydust” graphics, eyelashes on the headlights and the worst fish symbols.

Back Home once parked a Lorry on the Hardschoulder with a Flat Tyre and Bacon on as well as Hazard Light. That Lorry had a Bacon as he often pulls a Lowloader around.
Popped Police by and checked.
Technicall Defect=OK. No Fine for parking on the Hard Schoulder
But then :slight_smile:
1.) Bacon can’t be switched on without Certificate of the Authority,and the Certificate the Driver showed is “For use with Wide Machinery”
as there were no Lowloader and no Machinery 300.- Schilling Fine
2.) Bacon had wrong Din Number 300.- Schilling Fine and Certificate taken away. Lorry had one Week to be at any Police Station without Bacon,or Bacon with right Din Number and new Certificate
3.) Driver failed Alko Test and lost License

:arrow_right: Dont switch it on in Austria.

I saw one of those road planing W&D’s yesterday with a small Tarmac laying machine on the trailer, his beacons where also on.

No bacon in Austria :frowning: :grimacing: