Bbc, jeremy vine ,cyclisti

fuse:
Lets substitute the car door for a child running from behind the car, the bike would have hit the child because he was not paying attention to what was going on around him he left it to others,guilty m,laud

Lets create any scenario we like to make some cheap crack at someone who died!

I thought Jeremy Vine coverage of this case was pretty much what I’d expect of him. :unamused: and personally I’m not a fan of sticking people in prison for careless mistakes. It won’t bring the victim back to life and probably won’t be much of a deterrent to others. Better to find out what happened and try and stop it happening again, whether through education and changing attitudes or trying to find a way not to have that situation in the first place.

We can all say things like the cyclist should keep away from parked cars, but how practical is that really?
And the bus should have been further back, maybe true in and ideal world, but what if he was moving to overtake the cyclist at one point he would have been to close to stop. Unless we say no vehicle must overtake cyclists and stay the stopping distance behind, about 75ft or 23m at 30mph that nearly the length of 1.5 artics.

From what I’ve heard of this case I can’t see how the cyclist can be blamed, the driver apparently flung the door open into the flow of traffic, whilst the bike was alongside of the door he had no chance to avoid it. Even if the driver had looked first he may not of seen the bike as his windows were heavily tinted only letting 17% of the light through the legal limit is 70%.

i turn my radio off between 1200 and 1400…job done :sunglasses:

It is not a cheap crack it is a valid oppinion ,the car driver is getting all the blame as would a truck or bus.It is sad that a man died but had he slowed he could have let the bus pass the got passed the car and then been ready for a child running out or a door opening

fuse:
It is not a cheap crack it is a valid oppinion ,the car driver is getting all the blame as would a truck or bus.It is sad that a man died but had he slowed he could have let the bus pass the got passed the car and then been ready for a child running out or a door opening

The problem is that you are not in possession of any facts, just your own prejudice on how you believe all cyclists behave. The Police and DPP decided the charges not the cyclist, and a jury let him off. Anyone else adding comment to this verdict is just blowing off steam.

To explore your scenario, if my child ran out into the road, I would much prefer it to be into the path of a cycle than a car/bus/hgv etc.

We will just have to beg to differ

Hexhome:

AHT:
the highway code recomends a minimum of 6ft when passing a cyclist

Actually, it says this0

It is sometimes safer to take up the ‘primary’ position in the centre of the lane. This is not to annoy other road users (which would be very counter productive) but to prevent dangerously close overtakes at pinch points.

So exactly what is TFL trying to achieve with this cycle lane layout and what are the lines,which divide it from the main carriageway,meant to denote :question: . :confused:

maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.4 … =12,0,0,0

fuse:
We will just have to beg to differ

OK but I can guarantee that the cycle will be the lowest impact by a country mile!

Carryfast:

Hexhome:

AHT:

Actually, it says this0

It is sometimes safer to take up the ‘primary’ position in the centre of the lane. This is not to annoy other road users (which would be very counter productive) but to prevent dangerously close overtakes at pinch points.

So exactly what is TFL trying to achieve with this cycle lane layout and what are the lines,which divide it from the main carriageway,meant to denote :question: . :confused:

I’m afraid that I can say very little about that arrangement that is polite! It can only be designed by persons with no knowledge of road traffic behaviour or cyclists needs. It achieves nothing at all and contributes to the ‘give em’ cycle lanes and they don’t use them’ crap!

The car driver is to blame end of!! :imp: I have passed many a lay by with cars already parked in them, I don’t know how long they have been there as it is the first time I’ve seen them…I carry on, try to move a little to the right if traffic allows. Numerous occasions over my driving career the drivers door has opened as I’m passing - result!!! draught gets hold of door and swings it wide open :unamused: obviously damaging hinges :laughing: They should look!! Some park so close to the carriageway they are lucky not to lose the door :unamused: I would NEVER open my door without checking mirror first - just like pulling away from standing start - NOB off…Nearside, Offside Blindspot!

Maybe if the dolls head in question had experienced something of the above then maybe the INNOCENT cyclist would still be here.

Hexhome:

fuse:

The problem is that you are not in possession of any facts, just your own prejudice on how you believe all cyclists behave. The Police and DPP decided the charges not the cyclist, and a jury let him off. Anyone else adding comment to this verdict is just blowing off steam.

To explore your scenario, if my child ran out into the road, I would much prefer it to be into the path of a cycle than a car/bus/hgv etc.

In which case it’s foreseeable in those circumstances that the cyclist could get knocked off the bike and into the path of traffic using the road. :bulb: The risk of idiots opening car doors or knocking cyclists off their bikes for whatever reason is another good reason why cycling on the road is an unnacceptable risk.

Hexhome:

Carryfast:

Hexhome:

AHT:

Actually, it says this0

I’m afraid that I can say very little about that arrangement that is polite! It can only be designed by persons with no knowledge of road traffic behaviour or cyclists needs. It achieves nothing at all and contributes to the ‘give em’ cycle lanes and they don’t use them’ crap!

I think that layout is just based on the good old fashioned cyclists should keep well to the left to allow traffic to pass easily idea assuming that they don’t want to ride on the pavement.It actually seems to work reasonably well so long as cyclists don’t try to ride side by side or try to overtake slower cyclists.Which unfortunatley happens a lot along there. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

fuse:
Lets substitute the car door for a child running from behind the car, the bike would have hit the child because he was not paying attention to what was going on around him he left it to others,guilty m,laud

Sorry how do you figure that the cyclist was not paying attention? If someone opens the door on a parked car infront of your truck does that mean your not paying attention?
Have had it happen to me several times when driving, come up to a parked car suddently door flies open

What was he ment to do diffrently?

If a child runs out into the road then with the best will in the world there is a chance they will get hit, normally by a car, bus or truck somtimes by a bike, it would be tragic but in most cases it would the the childs fault, if a chile ran under your truck would you think it approreate if you ended up in jail for it? Didnt think so.

I think its likely that the car driver got off on a technicality as he wasnt actally driving, and i dont think the fact he got off is any evidence that he wasnt guilty, after all he wouldnt be the first to walk free after killing a cyclist.

Carryfast:

Hexhome:

I think that layout is just based on the good old fashioned cyclists should keep well to the left to allow traffic to pass easily idea assuming that they don’t want to ride on the pavement.It actually seems to work reasonably well so long as cyclists don’t try to ride side by side or try to overtake slower cyclists.Which unfortunatley happens a lot along there. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

As above i really dont know what TFL are trying to acheive? Why shouldnt cyclist overtake slower cyclists? thats like saying cars sholdnt overtake slower cars, trucks should overtake trucks etc it makes no sence

When the cyclist was hit by the door the cyclist couldve been thrown towards the middle of the road, the bus may have initially given enough room but the force of being flung across road means cyclistsplatted.
The driver maybe shouldve looked in the mirror or over theor shoulder, and the cyclist maybe shouldve taken control and pulled further into the middle of road,
Many maybe’s but 1 huge misfortune.

Being a cyclist myself I know just how vulnerable you are, you either dont get seen or you feel like your wearing a target.

Carryfast:

Which is exactly what would happen without the silly lines being painted on the road! Keeping well to the left is where cyclists mostly position themselves. If they took primary in certain circumstances as recommended by many organisations such as the IAM and ROSPA they would be in a much safer position. As for overtaking and riding 2 abreast, both perfectly legal, but selfish and not really acceptable if it obstructs vehicles from overtaking safely.

Carryfast:
cycling on the road is an unnacceptable risk.

Well if that’s the case, then walking along the pavement and going to the bathroom are also an unacceptable risk. The actual statistics show that cycling is much safer than we perceive and per kilometre, safer than walking! Statistically, cyclists live longer, are wealthier and cost the NHS less money as well.

I am happy to let my 14 year old cycle on the road. Whilst it is not without worry, I have to accept the small risk it entails just as I accept many other risks in life.

America has this covered with a charge of ‘reckless endangerment’;

apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.36.050

I fully believe in ‘The States’ he’d have been charged with this & convicted given the facts as reported.

It’s not too different riding a bycicle on city roads to riding a motorbike (fast) anywhere on public roads, something that I’ve done lots of & managed to stay alive, mostly through carefull observation and always riding with the thought that every car arriving at a junction isn’t going to see you (and pull out) & every parked car you’re passing is going to either pull out on you or open his door in your path.

I’ve seen plenty of people riding bikes ‘head down ar5e up’ assuming that nothing can go wrong & they are the centre of the universe, guess what? they’re not to the bloke in a car with other things on his mind.

One question, who thinks the verdict would still have been ‘not guilty’ if it had been a lorry driver that opened his door & knocked a cyclist into the path of a bus??

Ross.

PS, I think that, had it been a lorry driver, he’d be behind bars now making certain he didn’t drop the soap in the shower!!!

bigr250:
America has this covered with a charge of ‘reckless endangerment’;

apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.36.050

I fully believe in ‘The States’ he’d have been charged with this & convicted given the facts as reported.

It’s not too different riding a bycicle on city roads to riding a motorbike (fast) anywhere on public roads, something that I’ve done lots of & managed to stay alive, mostly through carefull observation and always riding with the thought that every car arriving at a junction isn’t going to see you (and pull out) & every parked car you’re passing is going to either pull out on you or open his door in your path.

I’ve seen plenty of people riding bikes ‘head down ar5e up’ assuming that nothing can go wrong & they are the centre of the universe, guess what? they’re not to the bloke in a car with other things on his mind.

One question, who thinks the verdict would still have been ‘not guilty’ if it had been a lorry driver that opened his door & knocked a cyclist into the path of a bus??

Ross.

PS, I think that, had it been a lorry driver, he’d be behind bars now making certain he didn’t drop the soap in the shower!!!

Would never happen if it was a lorry driver, we have to stop in narrow laybys so many times that the ones that don’t look were thinned out years ago!

Hexhome:

Carryfast:

Which is exactly what would happen without the silly lines being painted on the road! Keeping well to the left is where cyclists mostly position themselves. If they took primary in certain circumstances as recommended by many organisations such as the IAM and ROSPA they would be in a much safer position. As for overtaking and riding 2 abreast, both perfectly legal, but selfish and not really acceptable if it obstructs vehicles from overtaking safely.

As above except that the lines denote that if a cyclist is in the cycle lane, then a vehicle should not enter it whilst in the vicinity of the cyclist. It gives the cyclist a small percentage of priority, which they have anyway, over the passing vehicle which would not necessarily occour if there were no lines to denote that.

We have several of this type of lane in Bristol and they work very well. In fact we have more problems with vehicles that won’t enter them when there isn’t a cyclist using them.