Bbc, jeremy vine ,cyclisti

I thought the Vine show on BBC2 today was a disgrace,a motorist who opened his door and knocked a man off his bike and into the path of a following bus,the motorist made a mistake and was hung drawn by the ignorant public that phoned, they could only see one side, the bike and bus must be partly to blame,the bike for going to close to the car and not allowing for a door to open and the bus for being unable to stop when the situation unfolded before him. I am sick of this bikes can do no wrong and the truck bus or care is guilty no matter what,

i was always taught that when overtaking a parked car you pass with enough room for the door to fully open.
we had proper instructors back then.

Jeremy Vine is a condesending ■■■■ :unamused:

fuse:
I thought the Vine show on BBC2 today was a disgrace,a motorist who opened his door and knocked a man off his bike and into the path of a following bus,the motorist made a mistake and was hung drawn by the ignorant public that phoned, they could only see one side, the bike and bus must be partly to blame,the bike for going to close to the car and not allowing for a door to open and the bus for being unable to stop when the situation unfolded before him. I am sick of this bikes can do no wrong and the truck bus or care is guilty no matter what,

+1 i agree cyclists never held accountable for theyre ■■■■ ups

Well said that man, many trucks are fitted with all new equipment now to help spot, warn, and alert cyclists yet what the ■■■■ have they done to help their cause.

That’s because they are normally dead afterwards and can’t give their account of things maybe ■■

They should make cyclists do the equivalant of dcpc and charge 400 quid for it…see how many are left then ? :angry:

yes the bus could be to blame after all your supposed to overtake a overtaking vehicle ,
but then so could the biker not watchin the car driver and wondering what they are doing,

you want to try riding a bike and ending up in a car door, last person tryed to claim off me for a bent door, he said ," sorry mate didnt see you" ,
( me in yellow fluro jacket , fluro trousers and two flashing front white lights, one on all the time ) i asked him did you look , his words were err no ,

its like indicating at roundabouts , whos bothered, most arnt

fuse:
I the motorist made a mistake

Which resulted in someone’s death. People get upset about that, it’s understandable! A jury found him not guilty, end of matter. Personally, I would not have been cycling that close to parked cars, I would have been further out annoying you lot :smiley:

shytalk:
They should make cyclists do the equivalant of dcpc and charge 400 quid for it…see how many are left then ? :angry:

There are some free DCPC modules available, hackney.gov.uk/HGV-CPC.htm

I wonder if cyclists form the bulk of the Friday/Sunday afternoon lemming car driver herd, you know, the ones who drive absolutely flat out regardless of visibility or conditions often impaling their chariots into people other vehicles road furniture foliage walls ditches or the river…exactly how they ride their bloody bikes, blindly furiously and suicidally.

This is not to take away others responsibilty to them, particularly drivers who regard themselves as professionals but who drive anything but.

Don’t for pete’s sake listen to JV, pure state broadcaster propaganda.

Juddian:
I wonder if cyclists form the bulk of the Friday/Sunday afternoon lemming car driver herd,

■■■■, you’ve discovered our secret! After spending the week annoying everyone in Central London, we jump in our cars to annoy ramblers in the countryside at weekends :unamused:

Hexhome:

Juddian:
I wonder if cyclists form the bulk of the Friday/Sunday afternoon lemming car driver herd,

■■■■, you’ve discovered our secret! After spending the week annoying everyone in Central London, we jump in our cars to annoy ramblers in the countryside at weekends :unamused:

Haha, actually I do do that, when I greenlane in the landy.

Seriously though, whilst I partly agree that all road users have some responsibility for themselves AND other road users, we as drivers of cars, and large vehicles are obliged to take responsibility for vulnerable road users, hence why we are always seen as the guilty party until proved otherwise.

The lemming comment just shows up the mentality of most drivers who DON’T care about other road users except themselves.

So what are you suggesting, that the car driver was perfectly entitled to open his door and risk seriously injuring/killing someone?
Bet you would be moaning like hell if someone opend a door and scratched your truck.
Yes it is a good idea to ride at elast a door width away from parked cars buyt not always possible normally due to someone trying to get past and having to take avasive action back toward to cars so they dont knock you off, possibly what happend here with the but i dont know i didnt listen to the report, I take it the cyclist got killed?
What i dont see is how on earth it could be the cyclists fault? people should look before opening doors and Its never a good idea to be overtaking somone who is already over taking a parked car, certainly not in a bus and by the sounds of it the bus was far to close if it managed to hit him, the highway code recomends a minimum of 6ft when passing a cyclist

JJ192:
+1 i agree cyclists never held accountable for theyre [zb] ups

Find an example of a story where a cyclist seroisly injured of killed someone then and was let off??

I bet for everyone one if any you find i can find 100 where a cyclist was killed and the driver be it truck of car was let off with noting more then a slapped wrist
I bet theres also a fair few more where truck drivers have been the cause of serious accidents and the charges eventally dropped

AHT:
the highway code recomends a minimum of 6ft when passing a cyclist

Actually, it says this
hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

It is sometimes safer to take up the ‘primary’ position in the centre of the lane. This is not to annoy other road users (which would be very counter productive) but to prevent dangerously close overtakes at pinch points.

Hexhome:

AHT:
the highway code recomends a minimum of 6ft when passing a cyclist

Actually, it says this0

It is sometimes safer to take up the ‘primary’ position in the centre of the lane. This is not to annoy other road users (which would be very counter productive) but to prevent dangerously close overtakes at pinch points.

True, I would recon a car being about 6ft wide so hence where i got 6ft from.

All i was thinking as there was a bus involved is that the cyclist may have been out far enough then been pushed back by the bus as seems to happen quite often

Lets substitute the car door for a child running from behind the car, the bike would have hit the child because he was not paying attention to what was going on around him he left it to others,guilty m,laud

AHT:
All i was thinking as there was a bus involved is that the cyclist may have been out far enough then been pushed back by the bus as seems to happen quite often

It’s possible but the problem is we don’t know all the facts. The jury did and the driver was found not guilty of manslaughter. Because technically he wasn’t driving, there were no lesser charges that might have been brought. Anything else we add is guesswork.

I thought the point one caller made about always opening the door with the opposite arm so you’re forced to turn (and therefore actually look behind you before opening the door ) was valid.

I didn’t actually hear any truck or bus bashing by middle England, but there again I did only have one ear on it. It would seem that alot of car drivers just open their doors without a care in the world, however in this case it was a just verdict.

Sounds like the car driver, the cyclist and the bus each made a small error of judgement and each of those little errors (which on their own would be no more than slightly annoying) came together with ultimately tragic consequences. The downside is, the only offence that could be proved was the car driver opening his door so as to cause danger (£30 non-endorsable ticket)