Bays

Right i have a question,

Is there a written rule in this industry when waiting to get on a bay?

I give you an example,

Today i pulled up outside a store with two supermarket lorries in front with one on the bay and one waiting on the road. I pull up behind and chat with the driver for a good 20 minutes. The lorry on the bay then moves off so he then waits till he leaves and makes his way up the ramp. I am still on the road waiting to unload. After a further 30 minutes he leaves the bay and as he was leaving a lorry just go straight pass me and makes his way on to the bay. Now i had words (Nice words not swearing etc etc) and stated that i have been here nearly an hour waiting to get on to the bay and got a reply “Well, how the ■■■■ am i suppose to know your waiting to get on a bay?” i replied “I was sitting there with the flashers on and lights and you had seen me start my engine up to make my way up the ramp but you just carried on past me and pushed in”.

All i can say is that it buggered me up making me late for the rest of the drops. Rant over!

Depends if it’s timed or not. More often that not though, it’s first come, first served

C-Kay:
Depends if it’s timed or not. More often that not though, it’s first come, first served

I was spitting white stuff!

Did you go into the warehouse and explain to whoever was in charge? I to would of be very annoied but would speak to someone at the yard and failing that would call my boss to check it was alright with him for me to be waiting even longer now.

Sounds like you handled it well, fair play to ya.

I rang the yard and advised them, and was told not to say anything but to just sit in the truck and wait. So i waited and had a few cigs :smiley:

mickyblue:
I rang the yard and advised them, and was told not to say anything but to just sit in the truck and wait. So i waited and had a few cigs :smiley:

Good times :sunglasses:

it’s first come first served in most cases. they usually put their own trailers on first though.
so i’m afraid you just came across an inbred ■■■■■■.
next time just sound your horn, and don’t put your hazards on, he may think you’ve broke down.
and that’s another thing. lets’ say you have broke down where most sensible people will think you’re waiting for a bay, fold you’re off side mirror in and put your hazard lights on.
but then sods law says you’ll end up coming across another inbred ■■■■■■ that won’t realise the signs that you’ve broke down.
the moral to this is “you can’t [zb]ing win whatever you do”. :laughing:

Unless its booking in times etc then its fist come first served. But shops like tesco do prioritise their own chilled vehicles over 3rd party.

Some people will always try and rip the ■■■■ ‘‘ive only got 2 pallets mate’’ that 2 pallets turns into 8 pallets of split crap that takes forever to check. Park your truck in a position where someone can’t scalp you in a reverse like if you parked infront of this lorry on the bay, you would need to move for him to pull out - then if someone comes in that very moment you’re in the space they need to reverse. Every drop is different you’ll get a feel for it, you’ll be able to look at a delivery point and risk asses it for any danger and if you’re vulnerable to someone jumping in front of you.

mickyblue:

Phew, close one Mickey! Don’t ya know it’s illegal to smoke in a company vehicle? Lucky there wasn’t any boys in blue around! :smiley:

Speak to the back door man. Show him your notes so he knows you’re ‘next’ in the queue and he might also make space for your delivery so you’re not sat there with it half on half off the leveller… or maybe not, but it’s worth a try…

Just shout.

Oi! Dkhead. Can’t you see we are waiting? Get to the back of the que you ■■■■■■.

You see, been polite in some cases will just get the ■■■■ ripped out of you, as above, 2 pallets turn into 8+ then before you know it your 2 hours late.

Something like this happened to me a few months ago, sounds like you handled it better than me. I put a thread on here about it.

lankyphil:
Speak to the back door man. Show him your notes so he knows you’re ‘next’ in the queue and he might also make space for your delivery so you’re not sat there with it half on half off the leveller… or maybe not, but it’s worth a try…

That is the first thing to do, he may say. The bread man is due in about 20 minutes, you can follow him on, or he will say get on the bay now or next. Do not listen to other drivers who only look after themselves

the maoster:

mickyblue:

Phew, close one Mickey! Don’t ya know it’s illegal to smoke in a company vehicle? Lucky there wasn’t any boys in blue around! :smiley:

nah stood outside ya tart :smiley:

The bread wagons usually like to try this one on. It’s invariably a rab c nesbitt lookalike who’ll come up with the argument (in a scouse accent) that “I’m salaried pal, and I’ve only got 3 to come off - you’re agency, you’re paid by the hour, so more time waiting for you is more money right?”

NOT when I’m on 13 hours now, and it’ll be an hour unloading/reloading and half an hour back! :imp: :imp:

FFS - “I’m salaried” is becoming the working class version of “I went to Eton ak-too-arr-lee” :angry:

mickyblue:

C-Kay:

I was spitting white stuff!

■■? What had you been doing to get a mouthful of white stuff■■?

I always get shafted by the dray men getting on the drop Point first. Oh well, brew up. Generally first come first served.

I like to think it works like a barber, you just hope there’s not a muppet with a mullet in front.

mickyblue:
Right i have a question,

Is there a written rule in this industry when waiting to get on a bay?

I give you an example,

Today i pulled up outside a store with two supermarket lorries in front with one on the bay and one waiting on the road. I pull up behind and chat with the driver for a good 20 minutes. The lorry on the bay then moves off so he then waits till he leaves and makes his way up the ramp. I am still on the road waiting to unload. After a further 30 minutes he leaves the bay and as he was leaving a lorry just go straight pass me and makes his way on to the bay. Now i had words (Nice words not swearing etc etc) and stated that i have been here nearly an hour waiting to get on to the bay and got a reply “Well, how the [zb] am i suppose to know your waiting to get on a bay?” i replied “I was sitting there with the flashers on and lights and you had seen me start my engine up to make my way up the ramp but you just carried on past me and pushed in”.

All i can say is that it buggered me up making me late for the rest of the drops. Rant over!

You’re doing it wrong.

1. See foreman
  2. provide notes
  3. ascertain your position to load/unload if there are others waiting.
  4. also check to see if their own traffic has priority.
  5. if no to 4, position yourself as such so that no-one else can easily get in unless you move.
  6. done.

Also, when waiting in a lengthy queue, it is wise to wait until you’re nearly at the gate before booking in. If you follow all the other sheep that join the back of the queue half a mile away and then walk down to book in, you’ll come back to find that a dozen trucks have pulled into the space in front of you that developed when the queue moved up.

On a related note but slightly OT ,i delivered a load of shelving for tescos(culverhouse cross around 0100am) the other week ,i was the only wagon so got in via the intercom ,gate opened no problem ,tipped the load in 15 mins ,pulled out the bay ,the gate was shut,looked for the electric eyes to open the gate there where none ,looked for a button on the inside to press ,none scratched head a bit ,returned to vehicle sat for 5 nothing happened ,walked all the way back to the bays ,they where shut walked around to entrance of the stores searched for anyone with a tesco badge and the ability to put a coherent sentence together to explain i had just tipped and needed to be out ,bloke calmly walked over to a big green button and pushed it (must have been a manager to have such authority :unamused: )