Bash a bridge - Lose your license?

At least thats the way it’s being slanted. I have to say though that I don’t actually know anyone personally who has bashed a bridge so I don’t know if licenses get lifted as a matter of course. If so, then it wouldn’t be the the first time the media are a few years late with a story, or are simply recycling old news to fill space.

I do admit (through gritted teeth) that its hard to disagree with the Daily Wail on this though. You’d have to have a ■■■■ good reason to avoid a ban, like if the posted bridge height was wrong, and even then you’d be on a sticky wicket if your vehicle height was still over the posted height.

Yes know one recently who hit a bridge & was sacked , started a new jobs a week or so later for £2.50 ph more

I’ve always said this should be the case,.a ban followed by a re.test.
Things that were once drummed into me and guys who took their tests at the same time, just ain’t concentrated on in training any more…evidently.
Stuff like …
Always be aware of your trailer height,.always check routes for bridges,.and if you do come across one make it a priority to check it’s height.
Christ I’m so brainwashed as a trucker, I even notice heights when driving my car. :open_mouth:

So these clowns who are not only incompetent, but usually sat nav slaves :unamused: are not the right calibre of driver to be let loose on a big and high truck…so ban them, it ain’t rocket science…and address the poor training ‘‘learn to get around a test route’’ procedure

For the record other things that were hammered into us in those days were stuff like…
Kerp left unless overtaking.
Show empathy and courtesy to your fellow truck driver,.by letting them out and in.
Ok maybe the second one was not on the official training syllabus, but it shows the quality and mindset of the trainers in those days compared to today.
I ain’t saying that there are no longer trainers like this, but we do not see much evidence these days of those that are by who and what they let loose on the road with an artic licence. :bulb:

Something has to be done…

But, I can’t see that a ban will actually prevent the bridge strike in the first place. The drivers who do this seem to have a complete disconnect from what’s going on and a ban won’t stop that. However, a ban and re-test would give the offender a chance to develop their driving skills further.

In cab height indicators don’t work.

Flashing ‘overheight vehicle divert’ signs don’t work.

Large black and yellow painted bridges don’t work.

High vehicle lanes don’t work.

Satnav directions don’t work.

For my own part, I’ve come across many bridges I couldn’t get under but never clouted any of them.

Would it not be fair to ask for 100% harmonisation in the signing of vehicle & bridge heights first?
Why do we still have a mix of meters & feet & inches?

Are we aware of the reasons given for bridge strikes?
Does it include calculation errors or unit of measurement confusion?

No, let them carry on.

Such events (should) make employers appreciate their decent staff when they’ve previously been taking them for granted, if they are too foolish to do so and take the necessary action re terms and conditions to boost retainment and cherry picking from the better applicants then eventually they will go out of business.

this has been going on in Grantham as long as I can remember , daily , we’ve heRd it all from the rail authorities , cost ££££!££££ , what there going to do about it , years later rinse & repeat , nothing will change , well it may with new ring road & a 7.5 t limit in Grantham , we will see
Think of all the millions they’ve spent repairing bridges , yet it’s taken 20 + years to decide we will tell the t/ c , yea alright . Be hearing that & the millions it costs in another 20 years no doubt

Nearly, once! Many years ago.
Central Paris. (7.5t) One of the tunnels running alongside the Seine, rush hour. Height in Metres, cab notice in Feet (I know! I should have done the sums and added it to the cab-sticker or commited it to memory!)
Quick sums in the head and down the approach… OH NOES!!!
Rush-hour drivers in Paris are not the most “patient” of people, as you might imagine. No chance of backing up or turning round. But letting all of the air out of the suspension, and some out of the tyres, and I squeaked through! Phew! :blush: :astonished: :blush:

Juddian:
No, let them carry on.

I’m confident…

They’ll continue without any help whatsoever.

wakou:
Central Paris. (7.5t) One of the tunnels running alongside the Seine, rush hour. Height in Metres, cab notice in Feet (I know! I should have done the sums and added it to the cab-sticker or commited it to memory!)
Rush-hour drivers in Paris are not the most “patient” of people, as you might imagine. No chance of backing up or turning round. But letting all of the air out of the suspension, and some out of the tyres, and I squeaked through! Phew! :blush: :astonished: :blush:

Useful honesty.
It is not just idiots who strike bridges.
Bridges strikes are a mistake & are the result of a myriad of reasons.
One of which is the failure of the standardisation of the unit of height measurement.
Those in steady jobs doing the same repeat routes seem to forget what it is like to be in a new vehicle, with a new route, new paperwork, new company, new load - all vying for a part of our limited cognitive capacity as we navigate the roads.

Our mistakes are highly visible & can cause expensive damage & possibly serious injury but they are still mistakes.
It is wilful negligence however to fail to standardise height measurement in the industry to remove one of the reasons for bridge strikes.

For the record - I’ve never collided with a bridge.

im not sure what the answer is. If a driver is following a preordained route and it takes them under a bridge that is marked up as too low yes the driver should realise that and take action however the only information he has to go on unless he has physicaly messured his truck every time he has unloaded or loaded somthing is the height indicator in the cab.

all that is assuming that the obstical is marked up correctly

robroy:
I’ve always said this should be the case,.a ban followed by a re.test.
Things that were once drummed into me and guys who took their tests at the same time, just ain’t concentrated on in training any more…evidently.
Stuff like …
Always be aware of your trailer height,.always check routes for bridges,.and if you do come across one make it a priority to check it’s height.
Christ I’m so brainwashed as a trucker, I even notice heights when driving my car. :open_mouth:

So these clowns who are not only incompetent, but usually sat nav slaves :unamused: are not the right calibre of driver to be let loose on a big and high truck…so ban them, it ain’t rocket science…and address the poor training ‘‘learn to get around a test route’’ procedure

For the record other things that were hammered into us in those days were stuff like…
Kerp left unless overtaking.
Show empathy and courtesy to your fellow truck driver,.by letting them out and in.
Ok maybe the second one was not on the official training syllabus, but it shows the quality and mindset of the trainers in those days compared to today.
I ain’t saying that there are no longer trainers like this, but we do not see much evidence these days of those that are by who and what they let loose on the road with an artic licence. :bulb:

I’m the same mate
I don’t get why you would plough under a bridge if your not 100%
I use to drive transporters so different heights up to 16ft everyday.
If I was a 100% sure I would stop the truck and get out and have a look.

wakou:

I don’t believe you! not letting air out of tyres anyway.

Wheel Nut:
I don’t believe you! not letting air out of tyres anyway.

Did too! Also had my ‘driver’s mate’ on top of the cab to see the gap between my truck roof and the tunnel!

Long time ago, but I think it was this one!

“Voie Express Rive Gauche”

Themoocher:
I’m the same mate

Your variable & extra high height makes height & bridges an absolute priority in your mind - for good reason.
The problem arises more when a driver is used to being a regular height & traveling a regular route & complacency sets in.
Change the route or height slightly & the mind does not focus on this aspect as much as it needs to.

ScaniaUltimate:

Themoocher:
I’m the same mate

Your variable & extra high height makes height & bridges an absolute priority in your mind - for good reason.
The problem arises more when a driver is used to being a regular height & traveling a regular route & complacency sets in.
Change the route or height slightly & the mind does not focus on this aspect as much as it needs to.

What I notice is 99% of low bridges have no way for a truck to turn around so I guess lots of them will be like f- it, I’m going in :slight_smile: rather than reverse for 2-3-10 miles on a (often) countryside road

ETS:

ScaniaUltimate:

Themoocher:
I’m the same mate

What I notice is 99% of low bridges have no way for a truck to turn around so I guess lots of them will be like f- it, I’m going in :slight_smile: rather than reverse for 2-3-10 miles on a (often) countryside road

Don’t see many country roads inside the M25 or any other city where you would need to back up 2-3-10 miles but I do see thousands of bridges thou.
Need be a idiot to plough through a bridge in the countryside.

I did hear rumours some time ago about automatic referrals to the TC for both operator and driver for every bridge strike. So far it hasn’t come to pass but it would probably be more quickly implemented than a ban under law via the same channels as more typical offences, the TC having a lot of free reign to remove an HGV entitlement without recourse to anyone else.

ETS:

ScaniaUltimate:

Themoocher:
I’m the same mate

What I notice is 99% of low bridges have no way for a truck to turn around so I guess lots of them will be like f- it, I’m going in :slight_smile:
rather than reverse for 2-3-10 miles on a (often) countryside road

A bit like this ■■■■

As long as we have drivers being pushed to the limit and running around like blue-arsed flies, these bridge strikes will continue to happen. Give the job a bit of dignity and make it a job where a living can be made on 40 hours a week and these strikes will reduce considerably. Give proper accompanied training to all new recruits and it will reduce further. I won’t hold my breathe.