Bash a bridge - Lose your license?

ScaniaUltimate:
Change the route or height slightly & the mind does not focus on this aspect as much as it needs to.

Nah not having that, it’s no excuse.
The fact that the route has changed should make the driver MORE aware…the mind should focus BECAUSE of the circumstances you point out, its part of the job as a supposed 'professional .
:bulb:

“Suedehead” Posted a pick of a bridge-strike by a container. The bridge is clearly marked at 4.4m/ 14’ 6" (? blurry.)
Surely that is usually high enough for a container to pass? And it does not look like it has just scraped it, but has smashed it a good way down the box?

wakou:
“Suedehead” Posted a pick of a bridge-strike by a container. The bridge is clearly marked at 4.4m/ 14’ 6" (? blurry.)
Surely that is usually high enough for a container to pass? And it does not look like it has just scraped it, but has smashed it a good way down the box?

It’s known as…

A ‘high cube’. Shipping containers and storage containers can come in a range of sizes, 20ft and 40ft shipping containers are the most common container lengths (externally) and 8ft in width as standard. Commonly the height of a container will be 8ft 6” and a high cube will have an additional foot to be 9ft 6”.

This is what’s caught the driver out. I’ll add if it was an empty box and the driver had the Scania mid-lift up, you can add another 3 inches as well.

yourhavingalarf:

wakou:

It’s known as…

A ‘high cube’. Shipping containers and storage containers can come in a range of sizes, 20ft and 40ft shipping containers are the most common container lengths (externally) and 8ft in width as standard. Commonly the height of a container will be 8ft 6” and a high cube will have an additional foot to be 9ft 6”.

This is what’s caught the driver out. I’ll add if it was an empty box and the driver had the Scania mid-lift up, you can add another 3 inches as well.

Ok, I suppose there’s an element of excuse there, even I thought containers were standard height. :blush: …then again I don’t do and never have done container work, but maybe I would know different if I did. :smiley:

It’s been…

A long time since I was a box jockey.

If you look at the top of the squished box, there’s some black and yellow tape. This is applied to all high cubes. At the bottom, you can see a yellow triangle and a yellow box. These are high cube warning signs. I forget what’s actually written on them.

I see less and less 8 foot 6" boxes these days.

This is my point about complacency setting in with regularity.
Most of our driving is done on mental ‘auto pilot’ when we have great regularity.
If 90% of your job today is the the same as for the last umpteen trips but the one thing that has changed is a trailer that looks the same as usual but is actually 6" higher then you can easily get caught out. Your brain focus will be on the variables (traffic mainly) whilst filtering the regular stuff to ‘auto-pilot’.
That bridge coming up is not going to be in your main focus if you have passed under it safely dozens of times before.

The recent double-deck bus bridge crash was caused as a result of a driver who was on ‘auto-pilot’ running the same route he had done many, many times except all previous times he was doing it in a single deck bus. The bridge did not register with him because his mind has so many times previously accepted it as not an issue.
The vehicle was a major change rather than a minor one, but he still had his ‘auto-pilot’ mode on due to the regularity of his run.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s been…

A long time since I was a box jockey.

If you look at the top of the squished box, there’s some black and yellow tape. This is applied to all high cubes. At the bottom, you can see a yellow triangle and a yellow box. These are high cube warning signs. I forget what’s actually written on them.

I see less and less 8 foot 6" boxes these days.

I think the triangular marking means Super Heavy.

Not all ISO containers are the same height :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Not all ISO containers are the same height :laughing:

Absolutely right.

The load you’ve pictured doesn’t allow the sheet to go back over so those tyres would more than likely go on a flat rack.

yourhavingalarf:

wakou:

It’s known as…

Can someone help me. Container 9’ 6" usual fith wheel 1250mm =4’1" give 13’7" usually jellies have thin chassis and fifth wheel plate let’s say 9" 14’4" that bridge marked 14’6"" but been battered well down. TNCSI hel

From my memory…

If I came across anything marked 15’ 3", I’d go another way with a high cube on. 4’ 1" seems low for a skelly.

I’m sure a current box jockey would give you a better answer.

What happened to carrying a tape measure? I carry a 10m one all the time, as my vehicle height varies due to the load. It’s 10m so it’s robust enough to raise vertical for any vehicle height.