Barron Wood Distribution

lol 8 yrs old thread :laughing:

We pay our owner drivers a percentage of the load rate we get paid by our customers. Our planning team will advise the rate for each load/ consignment prior to allocating any load to an owner driver. Our planners are incentivized to ensure owner drivers are provided with the right mix of work to ensure their target earning levels are met. Typically our owner drivers will earn between �2k to �2.5k per week (based on a 5 day week) depending on their availability and flexibility; additional earnings can be achieved for 6 or 7 day operation

Im considering going Owner op , but weighing up figures and all, just wondering if what they are quoting is anywhere near reality, and if so, if you do work for these, how much derv would you use in a typical week? do you use their insurance, well really is it a good deal considering the cost of derv etc

I used to backload heinz at wigan to welham green in 2003. My boss said they paid £250 for that and at the time he was moaning about the fuel going up to 68p a litre, though he bought 30000 at a time. So unless they’re paying £500 now, then the job definitely ain’t worth doing

Wayne:
Any one know anything about Barron Wood based in Lancashire, we have just started to pull back loads for them, just being curious.

Wayne.

What sort of loads are on offer , and where to ? .

I have done a bit for them in the past. Old school general haulage carrying anything and everything all over the place. No problem money wise cheque there every week. Rates are on par for clearing house traction subbies kind of work.

my gaffer has done some regular work for them recently, they promised him well over 2k a week but when the rates came in, it wernt nowhere neer that and it used a â– â– â– â–  load of deisel doin it cos it is heavy â– â– â– â– , neer enough full wack all the time

i might be wrong, but i dont think hes got any motors on there now, moved them over to tippers cos he says its better money, i not seen any odd curtain siders in the yard recently

What scania 730 said is spot on.

I had a truck on there for a while, was told that the earnings would be between £2200 and £2600 per week

The most I got was once it was just over £2000, but usually never anywhere near what they said

The mileage rate is an average over the week at between £1.30 and £1.40 per mile

As has already been said, most of their work is close to max weight and as such will use a lot of diesel

Just for the odd backload, they are fine, but to run a truck full time? No!!!

Thanks guys for the input, will consider it for the odd load or two, but a deffo not a reg thing

this thread makes me laugh. the last time i wrote an invoice, i told them how much it was.
businessmen :laughing: :laughing: [zb]ing idiots. :unamused: :unamused:

shuttlespanker:
I had a truck on there for a while, was told that the earnings would be between £2200 and £2600 per week

The most I got was once it was just over £2000, but usually never anywhere near what they said

The mileage rate is an average over the week at between £1.30 and £1.40 per mile

As has already been said, most of their work is close to max weight and as such will use a lot of diesel

you needed a real driver on the job thats why…

limeyphil:
this thread makes me laugh. the last time i wrote an invoice, i told them how much it was.

lol, not many businesses that accept the rate/cost the customer sets,
I wish ferrari would do the same :laughing:

limeyphil:

I wish I lived in cloud cuckoo land like you, it must be nice there.
My experience in 25 years as an OD is that if you are asked to quote for a job by another haulier/clearing house is that you will only get the job if your price is less, or at best the same as, the price they would have offered anyway. Unless of course they are desparate when normal rules don’t apply.
Different of course if you are lucky enough to have your own customers working to your own rates, but I doubt that many OD’s are in that situation

Tipper work isnt great money as they pay per tonne.One haulier from Driffield that shall remain nameless has undercut others by 50p per tonne when the job rate was only £4.50 tonne to start with!Put it this way it will cost him to do the job as i have been doing it the past two days and the rate should be more.

Lol. Just fancied a lol. :smiley:

Any one know anything about Barron Wood based in Lancashire, we have just started to pull back loads for them, just being curious.

Wayne.

Can’t tell you much, Wayne, except we do work for them too. Not a bad bunch of guys from what i’ve seen. Fairly helpful if the customer tries to stitch you up.
Hope it helps

Kate

No problem with this company, money is paid on same date every month.
Dave.

shuttlespanker:

2 years down the road, no improvements, nothing change. Wish I could read this thread before : )
I signup for a week with barron wood, short runs to a max weight, couldn’t even make 700 pounds after diesel, towards that left with unwelcome feeling.

Ideal back loads if the alternative is running back empty. But at the rates I have seen (like the 250 to welham green), it’s not a viable option.

msp:
2 years down the road, no improvements, nothing change. Wish I could read this thread before : )
I signup for a week with barron wood, short runs to a max weight, couldn’t even make 700 pounds after diesel, towards that left with unwelcome feeling.

That’s not good, I set a target of £1,400 a week after diesel and normally manage to meet or exceed it, I reckon my fixed costs are between £600 and £700 a week, and I don’t consider that I earn a great deal by any means.