Ban double deckers/ bloody dangerous

Had one last night,80 cages and dollies,came round r/o and along slip indicating onto d/c,truck flashes me out and it’s foot to the floor board,the 420 was giving it’s all,we got to about 25 mph then that was about your lot up the slight incline,like a mobile road block,busy time of the day,bloody dangerous,should ban them

Think yourself lucky you’ve got a 420, we’ve gotta cope with 400 pulling dd’s :laughing:

That’s what Smart Phones were invented for-so that Drivers of Heavily Laden Lorry’s had something to do while they accelerate up hills. Lol.

Nothing to do with the size of the trailer.

Maybe you should go with this line

“Ban heavy loads / Bloody Dangerous”

A 20 ft container loaded with tiles probably weighs more than your double Decker. . . . Should we ban these?

Minnimum of 900bhp at 44 ton

kr79:

Who will get there first,Volvo or Scania?.Bet they are working on it!

kr79:

There’s a lot to be said for that

Trying getting on the A56 out of Accrington in a fully laden DD. There’s around a 1.5 mile incline after the junction and we’re lucky if we’re doing 30mph by the time we get to the top.

Having said that though, I don’t think DDs are a problem just because they’re DDs. Many DDs are to carry bulk rather than extra weight. Our loads are all bulky so a fully loaded DD will always weigh more than an SD but look how many 44t SDs there are on the roads. Lots basically.

We backhaul for asda into Chepstow had a decker with 52 pallets mainly tv’s and microwaves our new FH’s have 500hp and they struggle up hills 35 sometimes but they do go downhill like a stabbed rat lol.

Its not that deckers are dangerous just another trailer but some hills can be a challenge

kr79:

That’s a very good point, I don’t know about 900 BHP but certainly 500 would be a starter.
Scanias in particular seem to suffer with a lack of torque when pulling uphill but 44t with 420 BHP is always going to be a big ask especially going up Beattock.

Cue all the old boys saying ‘you young’uns don’t know you’re born, in my day I pulled 60 tons with a 180 Gardner. Eeee by eck’

trubster:
Nothing to do with the size of the trailer.

Maybe you should go with this line

“Ban heavy loads / Bloody Dangerous”

A 20 ft container loaded with tiles probably weighs more than your double Decker. . . . Should we ban these?

Some of those deckers can weigh over 40 ton. And they’re very much top heavy too. I had one once which was over 41ton, took it up to the Lake District up a massive hill towards Barrow. Going up the hill it never got over 25mph, I started to worry when the temp gauge started to creep up to the red. Pulling a full 44ton must be interesting!

Back in the days of old we were delighted with 150bhp for 32 ton, and managed quite well.
You just need to drive accordingly.

emmerson2:
Back in the days of old we were delighted with 150bhp for 32 ton, and managed quite well.

I was,foot through the floor,and I could still only achieve 25 mph :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Terry T:
Trying getting on the A56 out of Accrington in a fully laden DD. There’s around a 1.5 mile incline after the junction and we’re lucky if we’re doing 30mph by the time we get to the top.

Your not wrong Terry I normally start at the bottom at M65 so get a run up but can only manage 40.Sometimes I get on where you do and like you say 30 would be good.
Are you coming out of Benson’s at Huncoat.

Most of the double deckers i see on the A38 A5 & M42 are driven by lunatics and go like ■■■■ of a shovel

Why dont we just ban hills on motorways !!..problem solved :stuck_out_tongue:

emmerson2:

But this isn’t the old days anymore. It’s not even ten years ago, when everyone ran 10 brake per ton. I think 500 bhp is just adequate now, anything less is average or worse. There’s a reason that most hauliers in the west country and deep Wales have been running 500 plus, for the best part of 20 years

Tooz:
Why dont we just ban hills on motorways !!..problem solved :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah like in der Nederlandsh, it’s all flat end you can schmoke der hesh end have der prostitutes in der vindows, I like dat man! :laughing: