Ban double deckers/ bloody dangerous

44 tonnes is 44 tonnes no matter how many decks the trailer has. DDs are only top heavy if loaded that way, and because they have smaller wheels the centre of gravity is lower(not that this affects their speed). I overtake plenty of single deckers on hills - maybe we should ban them instead.
Having pulled mainly double deckers for ten years I have not found them to be any worse than any other trailer provided they are properly loaded and you drive them sensibly.

When I were a youngster chucking my beef dripping butties
out of the window was the only way to make some hills.

I would like to see you on Sutton bank in an ERF :laughing:

it’s not the DDs that cause it to be slowish up hills, it’s just that not all units have HORSEpower, some of them only have RABBITpower.

oatcake1967:

I’d like to see some of these alleged “drivers” actually drive an ERF now that would be entertainment :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

gardun:
44 tonnes is 44 tonnes no matter how many decks the trailer has. DDs are only top heavy if loaded that way, and because they have smaller wheels the centre of gravity is lower(not that this affects their speed). I overtake plenty of single deckers on hills - maybe we should ban them instead.
Having pulled mainly double deckers for ten years I have not found them to be any worse than any other trailer provided they are properly loaded and you drive them sensibly.

Also wind resistance comes into it with some DD’s & slows you down a lot - they are very ‘box’-shaped after all & tall!! Especially if not close-coupled and/or wind deflector not correctly adjusted.

“Ban heavy loads” - Sounds like a move from the pro-cycling lobby… “HGV’s should all get off the road, rather than us cyclists”.

A big drop in the price of fuel soon would be a real game changer wouldn’t it? :smiley:

cav551:
it’s not the DDs that cause it to be slowish up hills, it’s just that not all units have HORSEpower, some of them only have RABBITpower.

transport manager Yeah but they’re basically the same inside, it’s just a few different extras on the horse.

mike68:

oatcake1967:

I’d like to see some of these alleged “drivers” actually drive an ERF now that would be entertainment :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We have a lad started on the pick up,took his class 2 went on Erf/ twin split,like a duck to water ,refuses to drive anything else now ,they aren’t rocket science!

Tooz:
Why dont we just ban hills on motorways !!..problem solved :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need to ban the uphill half.

A minimum legal BHP to weight ratio wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Back in the seventies, the firm I worked for had Atkis running at 32t on tipper work, with Gardner 180’s and it wasn’t unknown for them to stall on hills, especially one near Congleton IIRC.

Talking of horsepower, at an MSA today I saw a Waitrose DAF unit proudly badged 310 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Our race transporters are all DD and built with lockers down to the floor. The Decker we currently use for UK racing is one of the most stable trailers I have ever driven - even at 4.8m in reasonable wind. I’d certainly say a standard euro-liner is more effected by wind, and there is no noticeable reduction in acceleration with the DD vs std trailer.

switchlogic:
Cue all the old boys saying ‘you young’uns don’t know you’re born, in my day I pulled 60 tons with a 180 Gardner. Eeee by eck’

180 lad, we use to dream of a 180, 150 more like, sat on an Orange box , one wiper, no heater and a coat pulled over us lap.

Bulk tankers run close to 44tes most of the time - A live load coupled with a tired 410 DAF, hills are often leisurely to say the least :neutral_face:

You young’uns don’t know you’re born, in my day I pulled 60 tons with a 180 Gardner :laughing:

You missed a zero of the 60 :smiley:

Ban DD’s Ban Hi viz ban everything what a world we live in full of toscas, im goin to collect that scammer from spain in me bugatti veyron now

I think all road haulage should be operated by a fleet of push bike mini-trailers, ridden by organic fed Teletubbies at at a maximum of 8mph.

Those fan-dangled ‘engine’ things are a bloody liability, and just encourage the use of THUNDERING JUGGERNAUTS!!

Socketset:
Back in the seventies, the firm I worked for had Atkis running at 32t on tipper work, with Gardner 180’s and it wasn’t unknown for them to stall on hills, especially one near Congleton IIRC.

Talking of horsepower, at an MSA today I saw a Waitrose DAF unit proudly badged 310 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i didn’t think they still made anything under 400 these days. But they are only what they say on the tin and we don’t know how much they have been tweaked to save a bit of fuel

emmerson2:
Back in the days of old we were delighted with 150bhp for 32 ton, and managed quite well.
You just need to drive accordingly.

Remember when the M6 finished at Carnforth? Can any old boys confirm that hh used to CHANGE THE DIFF for the climb up Shap? :astonished:

ADR 1:
Bulk tankers run close to 44tes most of the time - A live load coupled with a tired 410 DAF, hills are often leisurely to say the least :neutral_face:

They will be ,a Daf is the most over rated lorry on horsepower I’ve ever driven,if it says 480 it will go no better than a 400 ■■■■■■■ .