Bad week :(

First week of 2013 got off to a bad start for me and I should have kept my mouth shut on Thursday morning when I got home. I actually started Wednesday collecting a load for Ben & Jerry on Thursday at 04.00 but due to delays with minus 28f (thats 60 degree’s of frost folks) I didn’t arrive till 07.00 then came home thinking that as work was slack the first week I would just stay home, there was no weekly minimum this week because it was a 3 day week, but the one trip plus new years day and a personal day for Monday would still give me something and I was quite content to do that and sit home but I opened my mouth and said “Do you need me for anything else or can I stay home ?”
“Would you like to earn a tad more ?” asked my dispatcher, “What about coming down to NYC, doing some preloads on Friday morning, taking 10 hours then a Friendly’s at 10.00pm and go home ?”
I accepted the task and just had 10 hours home then set off down to get to NYC for 02.00 and do a spot of loading, in other words put 3 tankers under the loading pipes then dropping them and going to bed till the night run was ready. At 2.30 pm dispatch call me, “Can you come back to NYC after and collect a preloaded Ben & Jerry for Monday ?” it would mean cutting it fine but ok I agree’d, then he dropped a bombshell “Friendly’s don’t want that load till 06.00 am Saturday now” :cry:
I took the load out Friday evening and it’s only 3.5 hours to Wilbraham MA, so I took 10 off there and started after the tank was empty at 07.15, back to NYC, hooked to the loaded B&J and got home at 4.00pm, I will actually have to take a damm 34 hour break this week… Still :exclamation: The First B&J and Saturday’s Friendly’s plus the hourly pay for the loading and delay unloading at Friendly’s puts me only about $100.00 bellow the actual weekly minimum.
Still hate being away from home Friday night though.

I actually managed to get home for reset for the weekend which is un common for me as norm have them in the week. Off to NJ tomorrow nice miles drop on friday

taffytrucker:
I actually managed to get home for reset for the weekend which is un common for me as norm have them in the week. Off to NJ tomorrow nice miles drop on friday

Will try and hook up as I mentioned on FB Taffy. In my opinion the NJ turnpike is the most dangerous road in the country and the area you are going is a real sod.
Trouble is … I am usually heading home on Fridays :wink:

I’ll try and get down thurs night and ill give you a ring boyo

Rich, in case you struggle to recognise Pat, here’s a picture of him :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pat Hasler:

taffytrucker:
In my opinion the NJ turnpike is the most dangerous road in the country and the area you are going is a real sod.

I prefere it to the 95 in CT between New Haven and the GWB, but only just. Where abouts in NJ is he going? I used to do a lot of the cold stores in Elizabeth, Linden, Wood Ridge, Woodbridge and Jersey City etc. Truely horrible places on the most part but not usually too difficult to find if they’re close to the turnpike.

Exit 12 off the turnpike I think, He is pulling meat so I’ll bet it’s for White Rose supermarkets. Been there once on my old company and had a major row with the shipping manager, refused to handle my load and sat there for 4 hours before he caved and got his men on it.
The entire area is so confusing to get about as you know, if Taffy comes off I-80 and heads south the turnpike spits as you know, then rejoins before Newark … then splits again to cars to the right and trucks to the left and when you get off at exit 12 it’s really confusing. I can’t remember how to get to the warehouse but you can see it from the highway before you get there. I deliver to Snapple at the same exit but the opposite side.

I like Snapple, loaded it in Austria once, near Bregenz and Lake Constance IIRC, the scenery was a little nicer than Jersey as I recall :laughing:

Taffy just phoned me, he’s doing a change over half way and back to Canada now … Lucky lad :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
Taffy just phoned me, he’s doing a change over half way and back to Canada now … Lucky lad :laughing:

Definetely.

Pat Hasler:

Sounds like another illegal switch in the US from H&R (not for Taffy), unless the other driver who delivers Taffy’s load is American…

Just my thoughts…

The Kraut:

Pat Hasler:

Sounds like another illegal switch in the US from H&R (not for Taffy), unless the other driver who delivers Taffy’s load is American…

Just my thoughts…

From what I gather the switch will be done on the Canadian side.

its not illeagal as it is a load from canada still on a canadian haulier what is illeagal would be if i had loaded it on the states as thats interstating but nowt wrong with a switch as all the goods have cleared customs same as going from the UK and doing a switch in france for the same company to take on to Germany or where ever. had a switch in Toledo back to brampton on empty in Winterpeg now. Dont see what the fuss is the weather her is almost tropical!!! If youre a polar bear lol

taffytrucker:
its not illeagal as it is a load from canada still on a canadian haulier what is illeagal would be if i had loaded it on the states as thats interstating but nowt wrong with a switch as all the goods have cleared customs same as going from the UK and doing a switch in france for the same company to take on to Germany or where ever. had a switch in Toledo back to brampton on empty in Winterpeg now. Dont see what the fuss is the weather her is almost tropical!!! If youre a polar bear lol

Dont quote me on this as I have not asked US customs as I dont want to start asking questions that will then cast suspicion on myself but I’m lead to believe that a load cleared in to the US has to be delivered to the final destination by the driver that the ACE is cleared with in connection to the load. The fact that you do a trailer swap inside the US and the continue with that load to destination is an internal move on your part with your starting and ending location in connection to that load being inside the US and hence technically interstating. This is only my understanding of it and I’m quite prepared to admit being wrong about it. Either way I’m sure its something all or most of us have done at some point.

When i drove for Schneider Transport i met one of the S/National trainers i knew from the Ohio terminal in upstate NY. She had a Canadian driver with her she was training but because they had a load going to Maine that was picked up somewhere else in the US she said she had to do all the driving. Even though the Canadian was a co-driver she said he could’nt drive till they actually had a load going to Canada.
That seemed a little extreme to me but that’s what she told me :unamused:

Charles

The US authorities are very keen on catching people interstating and I’ve known trucks from other local companies be pulled apart by customs at Houlton, Maine because they suspect illegal working in the US and have been looking for hidden documents that would suggest such activity. During my first year in Canada the US border guards would often ask me directely, or in directly at times, if I’d be picking up loads in the US for delivery in the US and would often say something like “Oh come on, we know you guys all do it, dont deny it” etc. Either way its a serious offence if caught and after prosecution would see a Canadian driver banned from entering the US for either life or a very long time. What Taffy has done is definetely just a technicality in my eyes, but as we’re all too aware, technicalities are often pursued more with an unnatural amount of zeal and portrayed by the authorities to be something of a much greater magnitude than is really the case.

taffytrucker:

Would like to see the officers face when you’ll tell him this story :laughing:
You should be aware of the stories H&R will tell you, for them all is legal as long as they make their cash.
It will be you who will be denied entry to the states, not anybody in the office at H&R!!!

You should read this:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/cargo_security/carriers/land/how.xml

or this:
http://www.trucknews.com/news/law-and-the-border-on-cabotage-and-trailer-switching/1000191997/

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to use your brain and think about all.

"(A Canadian) driver delivering goods from Canada or Mexico to a point in the United States (or traveling in the opposite direction) may meet at a drop yard or other location and switch trailers with another driver also delivering goods from Canada or Mexico to a different point in the United States (or travelling in the opposite direction), so that, for instance, the drivers may make their deliveries closer to their home in Canada or Mexico, or so that one driver can meet a tighter delivery schedule.

that says yes.

On the other hand, a driver coming from Canada or Mexico may not switch trailers with a Canadian or Mexican driver coming from a point within the United States, when the driver coming from within the United States will only be returning to another point in the United States.

that says no so it depends

If the drivers realize that a switching of trailers will bring them closer to their respective homes, it makes sense to switch trailers, and that is allowed under the regulation.

so yes you can uder certain circumstances Kraut. now that you for the information and yes i will keep it in mind but just about every post I have seen from you is bad mouthing H&R one way or another now if thats all you come on here for then no offence why bother??

remy:
When i drove for Schneider Transport i met one of the S/National trainers i knew from the Ohio terminal in upstate NY. She had a Canadian driver with her she was training but because they had a load going to Maine that was picked up somewhere else in the US she said she had to do all the driving. Even though the Canadian was a co-driver she said he could’nt drive till they actually had a load going to Canada.
That seemed a little extreme to me but that’s what she told me :unamused:

Charles

yup when i started my first load was to LA from Manitoba with another driver ,we were to run super single wi me doing the driving…well when we unloaded in LA our pickup was for Dallas TX■■?..seems my trainer was a US citizen and could interstate and i was not permited to drive,soo ended up a paid passenger to Dallas ($120 a day).
lol…different story when empty in Dallas …picked up regular load to wpeg ,left Dallas 5pm on a friday and that was interesting to say the least ,Ken got in the bunk at 6pm and told me to wake him at 4am and we ran full Team back home. jimmy.

I could not sleep when someone else is driving, I have to completely trust his driving to do that. There is only one person that I felt safe enough to actually hit the bunk and sleep soundly as he drove and that was James Thompson, another brit.