Bad habits

Harry Monk:
I said "I do 80,000 miles a year, !

You working part-time now then Harry?? :smiley:

orys:
I had my assesment bus drive today. For my surprise it was much easier than I expected, and for my another surprise, I will need two days to ride off my bad habits such as:

• keeping my hands on the steering wheel in 2:50 position instead of 2:45
  • also I am turning the wheel with big hand movements, and I should to model pretzels insteadā€¦
  • changing two lanes at one time, instead of changing one, then put indicator off, then put indicator on and change another one.
  • putting indicator on to change a lane when the lane I want to go into is not clear (By that I wonder how I can join M8 from M80, if I will not show them that I want to go into their lane, they wonā€™t let me in, as they will think I want to go to the Cathedral.
  • I am checking my mirrors very often when necessary, and not as often when driving straight on the easy motorway - I should do it ā€œevery 4 or 5 secondsā€ā€¦

I have also to get into the habit of checking mirror with a big head movement, as when I just looking into the mirror they think that I am not checking it (itā€™s not a problem with the left one, but the right one is in very convienient position so I donā€™t have to move my head to check it).

Also: itā€™s dangerous to roll slowly to the red light on neutral gear on empty road - I should keep a gear onā€¦

Oh, I wish I had passed my driving test and I could come back to my dangerous habits againā€¦ :grimacing:

Yes,you would loos powerstearing when engine goes off and you are in neutral

Harry Monk:
We had to have an assessment drive for the insurance company and I felt really insulted by this, so when the assesser hovered over his clipboard and said ā€œNow, can you tell me about your experience?ā€, I said ā€œI do 80,000 miles a year, Iā€™ve driven in 28 different countries and I drove to Siberia and back during the coldest month in Russia for over a hundred yearsā€, and he shut right up!

Ha,Ha,Ha
and i took a Day off to celebrat my 38 Year in Business and got first Shift i was on cancelled. Why? New Driver is more usable,as he unloads on Busstop.
Iā€™m old Stupid waited 2 Hour 300 Meter from Shop till unloadidn Area was free to approach.
Thats why i have to ask the Question:ā€œWhat is experiance worth,if in Office is one seating who knows the Job just from Book?ā€

Lovelyperson:

as well as when engine goes off and I am in gear.

orys:
ā€¦and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  out about every rally driver I know (and I know a few, my both uncle were rally drivers).

Rally driving and circuit driving uses different methods of steering which is right for those conditions and should never be compared to public road driving.

orys:
Yeah. Can I quote you? :>

Any time Orys :smiley: - If they want my number Iā€™ll PM it to you :wink:

orys:
I keep my hands asymetric.

Me too :smiley: :smiley: (I think that means level at all times - heā€™s Polish and knows bigger words than me!!)

ROG:

orys:
ā€¦and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  out about every rally driver I know (and I know a few, my both uncle were rally drivers).

Rally driving and circuit driving uses different methods of steering which is right for those conditions and should never be compared to public road driving.

Why? Why ā€œrallyā€ technic, when you can react quickly and have quick move arround the wheel on the public road should be replaced with ā€œforming pretzelsā€ which canā€™t be never as fast as the other one and therefore you are turning wheel slower (and taking note at how many times you have to change your hands position on the wheel, you driving with one hand only for longer period).

Rally drivers are just drivers who drive in extreme condition. If something is good enaugh in extreme condition it should be also good in normal everyday live (altough sometimes not to comfortable - I would not like to drive rally car to work or shopping) :wink:

Rally driving and road driving are completely different.

Try doing public road driving on a rally course and you will not get too far

Rally style driving on a public highway is a deffo no no - in most cases that would classed as dangerous driving by the police

I cannot see, apart from knowing how to use the controls, what the similarities are :confused: :confused:

ROG:

Rally style driving on a public highway is a deffo no no - in most cases that would classed as dangerous driving by the police

I cannot see, apart from knowing how to use the controls, what the similarities are :confused: :confused:

Ok, that was some nice and true round world. I guess if I will push you that way, you will keep repeating them, so I have other proposition:

Forget about rally driving, and explain me why turning the wheel with releasing hand and puting it in other place after every few degrees is better than one, big move? We know that itā€™s slower, we know, that it means that very often you are driving with one hand only (as you are still changing one hand or another) so what benefits are from this method of turning the wheel?

Using the whole of the steering wheel and keeping each hand in itā€™s own half is what is advised by just about every driver trainer I know

I got a slap on the wrists when i got here and started driving like that Rog, I was told i must start crossing my arms over to get maximum amount of leverage and control over the wheel while turning, as you can turn the wheel faster when crossing your arms over, than doing lots of smaller push / pull movements on the wheel. But yes back in England, I was always told to do the push / pul thingy.

ROG:

well ROGā€¦

I was on the no.666 bus going into town once and our bus driver was i assume new to the job as he had a co-driver reading pacenotes out to him as we went into town such asā€¦

" Left, Over Crest, Outside, Slippy, Moderate left turnā€¦ over the crest, stay to the outside, caution slippy"

andā€¦

ā€œ100 K left 2, 100 K right 2, 200 square left, 100 K right 4, 50 caution Jump into right 2 tightens, donā€™t cut, 100 oversquare right, 400 flat to crest into K left 4, 100 finish bust stationā€

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

BigJon:
crossing my arms over to get maximum amount of leverage and control over the wheel while turning, as you can turn the wheel faster when crossing your arms over, than doing lots of smaller push / pull movements on the wheel.

My point exactly.

pecjam23:
well ROGā€¦

I was on the no.666 bus going into town once and our bus driver was i assume new to the job as he had a co-driver reading pacenotes out to him as we went into town such asā€¦

" Left, Over Crest, Outside, Slippy, Moderate left turnā€¦ over the crest, stay to the outside, caution slippy"

andā€¦

ā€œ100 K left 2, 100 K right 2, 200 square left, 100 K right 4, 50 caution Jump into right 2 tightens, donā€™t cut, 100 oversquare right, 400 flat to crest into K left 4, 100 finish bust stationā€

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Thatā€™s reminds me when I found old navigator notes in my uncleā€™s garage. They were from 60s, and in this time rallies were conducted on the normal open roads.

There was written there:
ā€œIf green light on, right two, sharp
If red light on, straight on on full speedā€ :smiley:

orys:

well actually no, you donā€™t lose the power steering if the engine stalls and you are in gear, maybe in a jelcz or smth like that, although you can surely continue yet another wind-up thread of yours with the argument that you donā€™t have power steering with the gear engaged, engine stalled and the vehicle stationary

pecjam23:
I was on the no.666 bus

Was Damien driving :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BigJon:
crossing my arms over to get maximum amount of leverage and control over the wheel while turning, as you can turn the wheel faster when crossing your arms over, than doing lots of smaller push / pull movements on the wheel.

orys:
My point exactly.

Thatā€™s the error - smaller push / pull movements on the wheel
Correctly using the whole of the wheel does the same job as crossing hands - I know - I do it and so do many others but it is a practiced artā€¦

Exception being very low speed tight manoeuvring

orys:

danielwilkie:
Who was it you went for the assesment with?

It was assesment for driving course, with Happy Hour.

Why do you want to drive a bus,the licence you get is for automatics,get a proper stick licence and you wont have to drive service buses you can go coach touring.

Orys already has his lorry licence so he can take bus test in an automatic and be entitled to a full stick licence for bus or coach.Whether there are vacancies for touring coaches ,well thats another matter. Good luck Orys.

ā€¦and I am doing my lessons on manual bus anyway.

ROG:

BigJon:

orys:
My point exactly.

Thatā€™s the error - smaller push / pull movements on the wheel
Correctly using the whole of the wheel does the same job as crossing hands - I know - I do it and so do many others but it is a practiced artā€¦

Exception being very low speed tight manoeuvring

ā€œI knowā€ - that is this explanation?

Ok then, I also have this one. :slight_smile:
I know, that using big moves does the same job as feeding, but itā€™s faster and you have to change grab less often = you are keeping both hands on for longer periods of timeā€¦
As you can see, apart of ā€œI knowā€ I gave you this two arguments, do you have any other contradicting mine (ā€œI knowā€ does not counts :stuck_out_tongue:) ?

You said that error is in thinking that in your technique we have to use smaller pushes/pulls, but itā€™s right: if you start from the ā€œten to twoā€ position and you are not allowed to pass your hand to the other half of the wheel, you have to change it after about 30 degreesā€¦ If you can go futrher, first change will be in about 60 degreesā€¦

Sorry Rog for being so discussive here, but I am sometimes annoyed but all that myths passed from generation to generation, when older teach younger how they were taught and so on and noone even thinks about if it can be done betterā€¦

Off course, feeding the wheel can also be quite fast with a big of ā€œpracticed artā€, as well as someone, who is going backwards with a bit of practice can go as fast as someone walking forwardā€¦ If there is some benefit in using ā€œdriving instructors techniqueā€, please let me know it as wellā€¦

Last but not least: from my observation made during 10 years of hitchhiking: there is a strict corelation: most good drivers use ā€œrallyā€ technique, most bad drivers still drives as they were taught at driving lessonsā€¦

orys:

Lovelyperson:

No,becouse when your Engine goes off is she still running,powered from your Poweraxle,and Hydraulicpump gets powered by your Engine