Bad assessment (CAT C)

Hi all,

I’ve long aspired to be a truck driver since about 2008 though have been in office based jobs most of my working life, so this is all new to me.

I decided I don’t want to be bound to the confines of an office anymore so decided to make the leap and become a truck driver. Without any previous LGV driving experience, I had my initial driving assessment yesterday in a 18t Scania rigid truck. Literally 5 minutes after meeting my instructor, I was asked to hop straight into the cab and perform a reversing maneuver. It became clear that I had misunderstood his instructions when he yelled “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!! I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO!!!”. Not a great start and it seemed somewhat rude, especially given that we had only just met.

As we set off, I thought I’d let him know that I was nervous to which he said “you’re going for the wrong license if you’re nervous!”. He kept implying that it’s just like driving a car and that most people have no problems at all. I didn’t question him but in the back of my mind I remember thinking my car doesn’t weigh 18t, it’s nowhere near as long or wide and it doesn’t have a split shift gearbox either. While I’m sure it wouldn’t take too long to get to grips with it, it seemed as though my instructor expected me to be familiar with it all from the word go.

It feels somewhat of a set back. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong here? Not sure if I should pursue this further or if I’m simply not cut out for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Exvr:
Hi all,

I’ve long aspired to be a truck driver since about 2008 though have been in office based jobs most of my working life, so this is all new to me.

I decided I don’t want to be bound to the confines of an office anymore so decided to make the leap and become a truck driver. Without any previous LGV driving experience, I had my initial driving assessment yesterday in a 18t Scania rigid truck. Literally 5 minutes after meeting my instructor, I was asked to hop straight into the cab and perform a reversing maneuver. It became clear that I had misunderstood his instructions when he yelled “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!! I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO!!!”. Not a great start and it seemed somewhat rude, especially given that we had only just met.

As we set off, I thought I’d let him know that I was nervous to which he said “you’re going for the wrong license if you’re nervous!”. He kept implying that it’s just like driving a car and that most people have no problems at all. I didn’t question him but in the back of my mind I remember thinking my car doesn’t weigh 18t, it’s nowhere near as long or wide and it doesn’t have a split shift gearbox either. While I’m sure it wouldn’t take too long to get to grips with it, it seemed as though my instructor expected me to be familiar with it all from the word go.

It feels somewhat of a set back. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong here? Not sure if I should pursue this further or if I’m simply not cut out for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I would wait for wiser heads than me to answer but I would suggest you need a different instructor and/or training company

You’ve had an assessment with a crap HGV driving instructor, don’t be put off just find another training company and have another assessment.

If you tell us your rough location someone may be able to recommend a good training company in your area.

Most HGV instructors are not total pricks you was just unlucky in your first choice, so like I said don’t be put off :wink:

You are allowed to name on here the school and instructor which you had the bad experience with … might help others avoid

Another example of very poor instruction. I would have thought that a demo drive was essential for a candidate with no experience of larger vehicles. And to imply that it’s like a car is 100% incorrect.

There’s also no need to use a manual - assuming you have a manual car licence. Without a doubt, it’s easier on auto though I would add that an hour on a manual, once you’ve passed your test and the pressure has gone, is a good idea.

Find another trainer and try again.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Also ignore the crap instructors comment about it being the wrong career if you’re nervous!
Everyone should be nervous or at least apprehensive when stepping into an 18t truck (VAN :wink:) from a car, as if you aren’t, you’re probably a danger on the road throught not giving it enough care, attention & respect!

Best of luck! :smiley:

As being newly passed myself will echo what the others said try somewhere else, went to a few places for assesment drives and by no means was I the most confident person on getting in one (It felt totally different from the van Id drove for years) but not one of them was impatient or rude. I went with my gut feeling of where I wanted to train and was more than happy but if Id missed there I was made to feel comfortable and relaxed with the other places too, if that was my first experience Id have probably been totally put off but dont worry about it they definately arent all like that.

As ROG said name and shame. I’m looking to book my c+e and would hate to have an instructor like that.

If you let us know which area you are perhaps we can recommend a good trainer local to you.

Paul owner of a driving school :smiley:

Don’t let them put you off as no doubt the company will find they darvin themselves out of existence if that’s the quality of instructor they employ. There are plenty of good ones, including two already on this thread, so don’t worry you’ll do much better second time around. From someone who passed about 6 months ago, it does all fall into place pretty quickly but you’re right to be nervous to start with.

As for his comments about it being the same as a car, I’m surprised he didn’t say it’s just like riding a bike! Maybe only 9x heavier than an average car and 6x bigger, but those are only minor things, until you hit something. :smiley:

PS: If you are going to go up against something, remember cars are fair game but arctics are bigger than you, so play nice.

Exvr:
Hi all,

Cheers

Like others have said,try another instructor. I tried 3 before deciding and none of them spoke to me like that! I was really nervous myself on my first go in an hgv but a good instructor soon gets rid of the nerves,its natural,they are nothing like cars! When i first got in one i thought “f*** me this is big”!

Given that an assessment drive is 50% a chance for the school/instructor to tout for business you’d think they would be on their best behaviour on such an occasion…

Enough said . :unamused:

My trainer kept telling me “get out of car mode”, “you’ve gone back into car mode again” he kept drilling it into me otherwise I was leaving a lot of rubber on kerb. It’s nothing like a car, numpty.

GhostRider17:
When i first got in one i thought “f*** me this is big”!

That reminds me of my ex! :open_mouth:

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement, much appreciated.

ROG:
You are allowed to name on here the school and instructor which you had the bad experience with … might help others avoid

I was reluctant to do that but seeing as they haven’t replied or even acknowledged my politely worded complaint which I sent 2 days ago via their website, I guess I should. The company is “Paul Williams Training Services” just outside Gloucester and the instructor was “Paul G”.

elmet training:
If you let us know which area you are perhaps we can recommend a good trainer local to you.

Paul owner of a driving school :smiley:

Gloucester area, if anyone could recommend a training provider in the locality that would be great. :slight_smile: I know there’s a big difference between knowledge on a particular topic and being able to teach. With that in mind is there anything specific I could ask for to find out if they’re appropriately qualified?

Monsterbrown:
Given that an assessment drive is 50% a chance for the school/instructor to tout for business you’d think they would be on their best behaviour on such an occasion…

Enough said . :unamused:

That’s what I thought too, though they don’t appear to be short of business. I had to wait a couple weeks for the assessment.

With that in mind is there anything specific I could ask for to find out if they’re appropriately qualified?

Ask them for their instructor qualifications. The common answer is “fully qualified” meaning that they meet the statutory requirement of holding a driving licence for 3 years. But dig a little deeper. There are 2 qualifications that you could look for. One is the DVSA Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors. Those instructors will have a blue badge with their photo and should be able to produce it. The second is RTITB Register of LGV Instructors. I imagine they also carry a badge of some description but I’m not that familiar with their system as I changed to the other one many years ago.

Another safeguard is to use a DVSA Accredited LGV Training Centre as they have to employ ONLY registered instructors. These can be found at dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

There are perfectly sound instructors who, for whatever reason, are not registered. You may be able to find these by word of mouth but this is clearly not as straightforward.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds similar to my assessment drive! The instructor I was with went a drive first for about 15 mins then handed over to me and all he said was “good luck”! I had already told him I had never driven anything bigger than a transit van nor had I ever touched a split gear box in my life!
Safe to say the drive I done was the worst and longest 45 mins of my life!
The instructor I felt was very arrogant and sarcastic, albeit my poor driving was a major factor in his mood!
I left the training centre feeling like sh*t tbh and wondering if it was the right choice I was making but when my advisor phoned and booked my training he gave me the auto option so I jumped at the chance!

Training start day arrived and was told it was the same instructor I had for my assessment drive! My heart sank a good bit tbh!

But by end of the day and spending time with the guy he was like a completely different person!

By sounds of it in your case it might be worth looking elsewhere for training centres? Or grin and bear it and work hard for getting that pass!

Everyone has good and bad experiences I suppose! If its your own cash you’re using then you must get the right training that you’re comfortable with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was spending my hard earned, I’d want to be treated properly and trained correctly. There would be no grin and bear it if it were me. No way!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi…

Unfortunately as has been mentioned already you just made a poor first choice. Have you paid for a course or just had the one-off (free?) assessment. If your left out of pocket consider at some point using the small claims county court process. Its fairly straight forward to do and worked well for me in perusing a rogue motor cycle training school. You cite failure to provide a standard of service acceptable under Supply of goods and services act 1984. You don’t need legal representation, you talk to the judge yourself. With such a subjective matter your ex instructor could struggle for a good argument against why you feel so aggrieved and deserve re-imbursement.

Any instructor who has to resort to shouting at all especially things like “I told you what to do” is not the worth whatever money you are paying him. I’d find someone else Immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk