Bacon!

It’s not quite trucking, but…

A couple of years ago I delivered a load of Dairy Cows to a farm just south of Steinbach, MB. The family were originally from Glasgow way. Once we had unloaded they invited me in for a brew and a proper fry-up, with proper back bacon! Amongst other things, they told me all about a Butchers shop North West of Brandon. They raved about this place. Ran by a Scottish Butcher, he did proper back bacon, black puddings, haggis, scotch pies, the job lot. And all of his meat, steaks, etc, are cut the English way! They spent $500 bucks last time they went!!!
I have just had some of the worst bacon and sausages ever since moving over here. And after being given a tour of my new home town, which makes Corner Gas look like a bustling metropolis, I don’t hold out much hope for the local grocery stores. Apparently, there is a meat delivery ONCE a week!!!
The point is … Do you know where this Scottish Butchers is■■?

don’t know how long you been out there but here in wales it aint much better if you buy it in a town… my sons boss is a haulier/ farmer / butcher its the only way to buy meats etc straight from the farm .but that don’t help you much…sorry…

Yes I do know :smiley: Jimbo told me a few months back :smiley:

flat to the mat:

Come on then!! spill the beans (or the Bacon)… where abouts is it?? :smiley: :smiley:

cliffystephens:
don’t know how long you been out there but here in wales it aint much better if you buy it in a town… my sons boss is a haulier/ farmer / butcher its the only way to buy meats etc straight from the farm .but that don’t help you much…sorry…

About 5 years! They cut their meats differently out here, and their idea of bacon is streaky, streaky, or streaky! And they deep fry it. Its beyond gross!! I’ve yet to find a decent butcher… they are few and far between. But, this Scottish Fellas reputation is far and wide. Got to be worth a visit.

Angela:

flat to the mat:

Come on then!! spill the beans (or the Bacon)… where abouts is it?? :smiley: :smiley:

Dont boarAngela byhamming ,......sow wheres this piggin place , " flat to the mat" :unamused: :question:

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

You’re best to PM Jimbo , but the directions he gave are on this forum , somewhere :smiley: . Failing that next time you drive through Thunder Bay stop at the Husky on 17 as they serve back bacon there too . BTW , enjoy living with the rednecks :laughing:

There is a deli in Steinbach called the Country Meats Deli that does Wiltshire Bacon, the best English style bacon in this area.
The Canadian streaky bacon, fried to destruction is a joke. Disintegrating bacon that flies off the plate when you fork it.

I think I may of found it! Henri’s meats? 3 miles west and 3 miles north of Brandon on Hwy 270. Does that sound right?? I thought I might have a drive down tomorrow. I have had another place in Brandon recommended, Obermeir Meats. The recommendation comes from my neighbour! Dunno if that counts. lol. By neighbour, I mean, 4 miles up the road and just as you come into the valley there is a curve, turn there! Holy Chuff!
My Redneck landlady (of the plot of land my place is sat on) took me for a drive around town and for lunch. Three streets and a hotel that made Corner Gas look heaving. Then we drove to the grocery store, 2 doors down!!! I kept thinking “puppy on a piece of string, look at what I’ve got”!!!

Reckon you’ve found it Angela , enjoy .

when on holidays over there I quite liked that brittle stuff … seemed to remember it came in multiples of three looked like it had been cut with a razor mind…

Brittle! That’s the word I was looking for. Thanks Cliffy.

lol,aye its on the rd to Rivers,from #1 ITS ON THE RIGHT a couple o mls up,if you get to the camper sales place you have went to far.
proper sausages as well.butcher was from Castle Douglas in dumfries and galloway iirc.
pies etc… gluten free sausages as well…jimmy

Went today. Got some Gluten Free ■■■■■■■■■■ sausages on the (charcoal) bbq as we speak… can’t wait! There was an English couple in there just in front of me. Bought a good three cool boxes worth of stuff, including the entire shelf of back bacon :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: They had a couple of packs in the back though! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Spent a good $50. Back to bloody work tomorrow so I will have to wait to sample the rest. :cry: :cry: :cry: Cheers!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Should you ever be in the NYC area, you can get good ‘real’ bacon and sausages in Yonkers, McClain ave has a few Irish butchers selling the stuff and Morley’s supermarket on Yonkers ave sell loads of British stuff.
Broadway diner, on Broadway just by the Bronx / Yonkers line has full English breakfast (although the call it Irish).

Small packs of Wiltshire back bacon are sold in Canadian Superstore in flat white packaging, its smoked but is the nearest thing to real bacon we have found, the place near Brandon sounds interesting though, may have to check that out :smiley:

I find the nearest thing to back bacon is the peameal bacon.

West Country Water Buffalo do on online or telephone service for Ex Pats. For those who’ve never had buffalo, it’s like very tender tasty beef.

Dieseldog66:
I find the nearest thing to back bacon is the peameal bacon.

I love the Peameal bacon. :slight_smile:
I haven’t had chance to try the back bacon yet, it’s at home and I’m not!
Why are Canadian Sausages to GD Awful too■■?

ach you should have bought some tatie scones, black/white pudding,steak,scotch pies,haggis when at the butchers …thought the lamb was good as well jimmy.