backs covered

we do work for a local timber engineering firm who make trusss,joists etc.a few weeks ago a lad broke his shoulder whilst off loading,the exact details i do not know. anyway,i went to load up this morning and was presented with an induction which i must sign before leaving.included in the induction was a part about safe unloading and how it should be done,when trusss are loaded,they are tied to a central frame in batches so that the fork lift/crane can take them off a few at a time.
when the fork lift/crane has the weight of the first batch the band is cut by the driver using a telescopic pole with a blade attached,only trouble is they have only got a few and the regular lads have got them in their cabs.
up untill know i have had to climb up to cut the bands which is the most hazardous part of the job(their words)which i was reasonably happy to do.
thing is,if i fall off now they will say its my fault for climbing up and that ive signed the induction to say i know how to unload properly.this will probably affect the outcome of any compo claim should the worst happen.i asked for the cutting tool again today but they are waiting for them to be delivered…another case of a multi million pound company ■■■■■■■■ on the little man…tossers…what do you guys think :question:

Don’t perform the activity if they can’t provide the tools they say you need to perform the activity.
If the risk assessment says you need to use a telescopic whatsit, then you’re well within your rights to refuse to do it without one.

yes i know,but it just goes to show,all this h/s is just a load of crap to save their skins should anything go wrong

the guy who broke his shoulder will probably have a claim going through,and all of a sudden they are big on h/s.,which is fair enough,but to not have the equipment they say i should use is a complete urine extraction as far as i`m concerned.
then they wonder why people adopt a “take them for as much as you can” attitude

commonrail:
yes i know,but it just goes to show,all this h/s is just a load of crap to save their skins should anything go wrong

Not necessarily, a dude broke his shoulder, not only does it cover their arses but it might just stop you going home with a broken shoulder too. If you choose to ignore the new rules (even if it’s because they haven’t provided the tool) and end up injured, you’ve got nobody to blame but yourself. Follow the risk assessment word for word. If something prevents you from doing this then don’t do it full stop.

i was going to kick off about it but by the time they loaded the tr it was time to come home

When you get a new Lorry,order a Tipper.You may have to do in Future anywhy flexible with work.
As we had it in the 60’s and 70’s

commonrail:

It may be crap, but is born out of the compensation culture that is in this country.

There was someone else on here last week complaining of breaking a finger nail and that he was “going to get what he deserved” (or words to that effect).

If you were company boss, what would you do?

PS, dont do the job without the correct tools.

Don’t cut the straps unless you have the correct tool. End of.

lee mc67:

its that simple!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

rocky 7:

lee mc67:

its that simple!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Or do it - ONLY if you can run faster than the trusses :wink:

Cut 'em ■■■■ 'em. :laughing: Seriously though…DON’T DO IT!