Back to work she goes! old timer

Well boys and girls just a quick one to let you all know we have purchased this stunning scania from CDC and shes going back to work!

there will be some changes in time to come so just keep watching this space! :slight_smile:

IMG_1350.JPG

Wouldnā€™t you have been better sending the trailer in for shotblasting and a refurbish? :stuck_out_tongue:

i love that truck. hope it stays looking awesome. im surprised he sold it though

Still wouldnā€™t look out of place today, & it could still hold its own with the best of them today. A drivers lorry that you still have to drive, iā€™d have it tomorroā€¦ :smiley:

Hi mate, is this mr BInns who owns the fantastic transcon too? I love that truck, the scania is stunning too, looking forward to seeing this one get the treatment in the future ! All the best, harry.

Only 1 thing to say, wat a beautiful truck.

Hullo Binnsy 1987,
Whatever turns you on old lad, but that isā€™nt an old timer to me, thatā€™s a modern lorry, worst of all though itā€™s got all that flashy stuff and tatt all over it. What about getting a good old Working Lorry, one with a bit of character about it, one thatā€™s had a good working life, and pamper that. I just donā€™t understand all this crap about taking a flashy looking Wagon, standing it in a line of others in a field, polishing it, and pratting about with it, it just doesā€™nt all add up. Get yourself a good old Motor, one that has worked for a living, donā€™t tart it up, just wash it over and let people see it how it was, donā€™t bend history, lorries just wereā€™nt like that, if they werer then I donā€™t remember them.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
Hullo Binnsy 1987,
Whatever turns you on old lad, but that isā€™nt an old timer to me, thatā€™s a modern lorry, worst of all though itā€™s got all that flashy stuff and tatt all over it. What about getting a good old Working Lorry, one with a bit of character about it, one thatā€™s had a good working life, and pamper that. I just donā€™t understand all this crap about taking a flashy looking Wagon, standing it in a line of others in a field, polishing it, and pratting about with it, it just doesā€™nt all add up. Get yourself a good old Motor, one that has worked for a living, donā€™t tart it up, just wash it over and let people see it how it was, donā€™t bend history, lorries just wereā€™nt like that, if they werer then I donā€™t remember them.
Cheers, Archie.[/quote

You havin a laugh or what?? A modern lorryā€¦ it 's a 1989 for god sake! Not sure if your aware but were now in 2011!! Hardly a modern truck is itā€¦ And considering Iā€™m 23 to me itā€™s a old timer! If you donā€™t like all the extra add on bits then fairs doā€™s but a lot of people do and that includes me, Anyone can have a plain bog standard truck but it takes a lot to keep a kitted up truck looking good and people put a lot of time into keeping them looking good !!

As we own several trucks 20 + years old and as youā€™d say modern to you surly itā€™s a good thing to have them looking so good and to look after them unlike some drivers that donā€™t care one bit about there motors and just run them into the ground!?

Bend historyā€¦ Think someone needs to have a look back before they say somethingsā€¦

Thatā€™s a classic truck, deffo an old timer to me. I certainly remember them and want to see them preserved not left to fall to pieces and get totally hammered and then scrapped.well done mate and keep up the good work , Iā€™d love it I really would, all the best harry.

Old timer status varies due to each persons age. To me that is a classic and its now twenty years since I first used to see it winning at shows, it was very much a hard working lorry too in those days if reports are correct. Its a well known and liked truck and deserves to be looked after [as Iā€™m sure it will be in its new home].

What is an old or classic truck to be taken to shows is something that is always changing as everything [and everyone] gets older. Whilst no one would dispute the classic status of 1950ā€™s AECā€™s, Leylands etc theres an ever growing generation of truck enthusiasts who they mean very little to that would much rather look at 143;s, F16ā€™s and their like. I would hope theres room for all of them.

I do agree with the point that its good to see some trucks preserved in ā€˜as workedā€™ style, but its always down to the owners own choice how they want it, and as said the 143 in question here was never a run of the mill standard motor.

Looks nice, all the flashy stuff isnt for me though.

Just coming into the classic age 20+, keep it looking as good.

Archie Paice:
Hullo Binnsy 1987,
Cheers, Archie.

hiya,
Agree wholeheartedly Archie they are for working not showing at that tender age and nice to hear to them being referred to as wagons and lorries, you unload ā€œlorriesā€ with ā€œtrucksā€. just got to dodge the flak now but i can take it, ā€œold soldierā€.
thanks harry long retired.

Archie Paice:
Hullo Binnsy 1987,
Cheers, Archie.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

harry_gill:
hiya,
Agree wholeheartedly Archie they are for working not showing at that tender age and nice to hear to them being referred to as wagons and lorries, you unload ā€œlorriesā€ with ā€œtrucksā€. just got to dodge the flak now but i can take it, ā€œold soldierā€.
thanks harry long retired.

Harry, Iā€™m 55 this year so I donā€™t think Iā€™m quite as old as yourself or Archie & like you two I also donā€™t like all the bolt on ā€˜goodiesā€™ but I donā€™t think anyone has the right to denegrate the work or taste of another enthusiast. Iā€™ve bought a truck for the preservation scene and I wonā€™t be adorning it with stainless steel and polished aluminium, just a nice paint job to represent how I liked a truck to look when I was running them back in the 70ā€™s, 80ā€™s & 90ā€™s.

I packed up in haulge in 2006 and by then all the joy and pleasure in a job well done had long gone by that time, so Iā€™ll fettle & re-trim my F16 and remember when the job was worth doing.

Iā€™m really pleased to see someone in their 20ā€™s with the drive and motivation to take on the job of working a 20yr old truck, all the best bud, I hope it makes all your dreams come true, itā€™ll certainly get you plenty of attention in the truck stops. No doubt Iā€™ll be seeing you in and around Liverpool? (scrap carrier??)

Ross.

PS, Iā€™ll probably be seeing you at some truck shows once Iā€™ve finished my Volvo :wink:

If you want to see some real oldtimers working, get yourself to Turkey. I was driving from Istanbul to the Otosan plant in Golcuk a few weeks ago, and saw Scania 111ā€™s, flat top F10ā€™s, several old Mans of the same vintage, and bonnetted Tonkas that looked like theyā€™d come straight from the Destination Doha DVD, all still plying their trade, unfortunately no pictures, though if I go back, Iā€™ll take me camera this time.

any chance of those boring old ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  who cant see past the '60ā€™s and atkis and erfs just turning off their new fangled computers ?
its not how things were done in the 60ā€™s after all when time stood still for them. :unamused:

Good luck to the 23 yr old, Particularly as the 143 is going back to work. My pal and I (ERF64CU ) started restoring a 1970 ERF 20 years ago it 's now 40 yrs old and would have been history if we had not rescued it, Ps. no bling on it but times have changed.

I am with Archie in a lot of ways yet I am younger than Ross. I went to Gaydon and was quite perturbed to see some 112 Scanias and an F10 :open_mouth:

My opinion, not that anyone gives a toss, including meā€¦i dont like it, never have.

Wheel Nut:
I am with Archie in a lot of ways yet I am younger than Ross. I went to Gaydon and was quite perturbed to see some 112 Scanias and an F10 :open_mouth:

When you get over your ā€œshockā€ think about it, has he got to hide it in a cupboard for another ten years? when will it be old enough for the purists? That attitude is out of date, when our ERF was first restored 20yrs ago we heard the same stories. Give your head a shake, the ā€œyoung whippersnapperā€ is preserving a piece of transport history. Good luck to him although I dont personally like all the bling and paint jobs that make vehicles look like a gypsy caravan lots of people do.