Back to front pillion

Just been pulled travelling 200 yds down the road on a quad after heading off a neighbors cattle that were heading for the main road, been booked for no insurance, and the bikes been confiscated.
Not to worried about the bike, as I have checked out with my broker and I’m covered to drive any vehicle, so I’ll have great pleasure in providing the info and getting the bike back, but my lad was on the back facing towards the rear which the [zb] also cautioned me for. Is there a law against the pillion facing the wrong way on a bike?.
To say I’m feeling well ■■■■■■ off with Cheshire Contabulary would be an understatement, our lane is used as a cut through with cars reaching big speeds, so getting the beasties off the road was pretty important to the safety of man and animal, the irony of the matter is was that this [zb] and his highly embarassed colleague in their unmarked Vectra had been called out to deal with the loose cattle. [zb]s

Tell it to the judge. It was literally a matter of live and death for both the beasties and any mad motorist charging down on them. You had no choice, it was an emergency and couldn’t rely on the police, their response times or even if they intended to turn up at all.
The police were probably ■■■■■■ off with you by showing them up for what they are. Useless.
If it comes to court you should expect a magistrate to always side with any police version. If you intend fighting the case you should consider demanding a jury.

You haven’t mentioned how old your son is.I would imagine that if he were a minor it would compound your problem.

Deathstar:
You haven’t mentioned how old your son is.I would imagine that if he were a minor it would compound your problem.

14, but he was wearing a helmet.

As you accept it is a bike in your original post. I think this may be what the nice policeman was using as a starter for ten.

Pillion Law

Without going through all the road traffic acts, here’s a brief synopsis:-
You must hold a full licence for the machine you’re riding, wear a safety helmet etc.
Your Bike must be adapted to carry a pillion (a rear seat and passenger footrests).
Your pillion must wear a safety helmet, sit astride the machine facing forward (side-saddle is illegal).

There’s no legal age required for riding pillion but he/she must big enough to hold on, sat astride with feet on the foot pegs (so there is a size limit) and able to fully understand the detailed instruction you will surely give.

I imagine you could get away without the helmet though.

There is, apparently, no specific legal requirement for the pillion to be facing forwards.

Nor is it a requirement for the passenger’s feet to be on the rear footpegs, only that said footpegs must be fitted and he must be able to reach them; I would however check that the machine is designed to carry a passenger, if it isn’t they could nail you for that. Said requirement is in place for two-wheelers, not sure about quads.

Cut and pasted from Google;

“Section 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 requires that passengers must be carried in a manner so that no danger is caused, or likely to be caused, to any person on the vehicle or on the road.”

Yes, it does have a double seat and footrests.

Watching ‘The Tour of Britain’ bike race, the pillions on the camera bikes were sat facing backwards to film the bike riders. I would assume that it’s not illegal as they’ve been doing this for years.

Tiger

I can’t see riding without a helmet being a problem. It isn’t a requirement on a trike so can’t see it be required on a quad.

enit?:
I can’t see riding without a helmet being a problem. It isn’t a requirement on a trike so can’t see it be required on a quad.

Until you fall off, head first :blush:

As far as I can see so far you have not broken any law, the Police however would be better equipped to do thier job if they actually knew the law :unamused: And why they sent an unmarked car to do a job that requires high visibility for other road users should be brought into question :wink:

Eventually got to court today with this matter,

Charge 1:Using a vehicle with no insurance
Charge 2:Carrying a passenger in a dangerous manner.

The original hearing was set for 27th November, my solicitor pleaded not guilty to both charges on my behalf and a proper trial was set for Dec 15th.

Two days before the case was adjourned again until Apr 1st (today) because the CPS still hadn’t put their case forward right.

This morning the CPS dropped the no insurance charge as they finally accepted I was covered, but they pressed ahead with charge 2
The Magisrates heard charge 2, and after retiring to discuss the matter, concluded that according to the P.C.s statement, the bike was not being ridden in a dangerous manner, in fact it was being driven in a safe way with precautions being taken to alert other road users of its presence, and as there was a valid reason as to its presence on the road, there was nothing to answer, case dismissed :sunglasses:

Big Joe:
Eventually got to court today with this matter,

Charge 1:Using a vehicle with no insurance
Charge 2:Carrying a passenger in a dangerous manner.

The original hearing was set for 27th November, my solicitor pleaded not guilty to both charges on my behalf and a proper trial was set for Dec 15th.

Two days before the case was adjourned again until Apr 1st (today) because the CPS still hadn’t put their case forward right.

This morning the CPS dropped the no insurance charge as they finally accepted I was covered, but they pressed ahead with charge 2
The Magisrates heard charge 2, and after retiring to discuss the matter, concluded that according to the P.C.s statement, the bike was not being ridden in a dangerous manner, in fact it was being driven in a safe way with precautions being taken to alert other road users of its presence, and as there was a valid reason as to its presence on the road, there was nothing to answer, case dismissed :sunglasses:

Congratulations buddy! :sunglasses:

What were these [zb]'s doing nicking you in the first place??

It seems these day’s if you try and be a good samaritan, or help out (as in this situation) you can get nicked really easily! :imp: One thing that might have helped your case is the fact a lot of magistrates are farmers/landowners so might be sympathetic to you in a case like this :wink:

Thought of making a complaint :question:

Sometimes the CPS really make me laugh - all that public money wasted :open_mouth: as well the inconvenience to many people

Come on Rog lets have some fireworks…

Somebody beat THE MAN… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oatcake1967:
Come on Rog lets have some fireworks…

Somebody beat THE MAN… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Something to shoot the CPS would be more apropriate me thinks :bulb:

Come on Rog,

You know you want too…

Great result, congratulations.

Well Big Joe aint got no fireworks, but when somebody wins they gotta sumtin
youtube.com/watch?v=8J07UDPL … =1&index=1

Erm Coffeeholic if you could help out with the link I would be mighty obliged :laughing:

enit?:
If it comes to court you should expect a magistrate to always side with any police version.

In Rural areas a lot of the magistrates are likely to have something to do with farming, so somebody who’s motive was the protection of livestock is likely to get a fair hearing.

As for the pillion facing backwards on the bike they are using the cover all of riding in a dangerous manner, bit like the due care and attention. It all comes down to you work verses thiers and unless you’ve got a good defence you probably don’t stand a chance. The Police say they want the backing of the community and when some is community spirited they’re the one that get nicked. :imp: Great way to encourage the community to help you. :unamused:

Personally now you been cleared I’d get the story in your local paper and demand an appology for getting nick whilst trying to avoid what could have been a major incident. A vehicle hitting cattle is going to be messy for all involved.