Back in the real world

Hi chaps its been some time since my last post about me job hunting after my redundancy from Belkin. well i finished on the 2nd March still with no job to go to when a mate suggested i give Richard Long a call. they said come and see us and put you gear in the car as if every thing ok they had truck standing due to driver illness. on the Tuesday afternoon went for interview. got the job, night out in yard then load next day " convoy exceptionnel" for Hungary fantastic i was as happy as a pig in muck. done that with a nice reload in Germany near the Swiss border back to uk tip in west country reload JCB for Czech. home for weekend happy days. Then 3 weeks away and home again no problem i am well happy love the job good variety plus decent tackle. Long story short the fly in the ointment is the pay there is no incentive for the weekends the money is almost the same as for five days which is not brilliant and no extra for bank holidays. So long story short again i have moved on shame loved the job but not willing do seven days for five days pay its a question of principle. Start a new position on Tuesday still on low loaders will post with update when i have settled in.

I met 2 of richard longs on saturday fuelling in pamplona, they had loaded farm machinery in murcia. the one i spoke to made harry monk’s avatar look smart :open_mouth: i know we do tramping but there’s no need to take it literally :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
hope you keep the new job though keep us informed how you get on :smiley: :smiley:

welshboyinspain:
I met 2 of richard longs on saturday fuelling in pamplona, they had loaded farm machinery in murcia. the one i spoke to made harry monk’s avatar look smart :open_mouth: i know we do tramping but there’s no need to take it literally :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
hope you keep the new job though keep us informed how you get on :smiley: :smiley:

will do, am looking forward to it. ref longs drivers didn’t meet many of them in my short stay but they were a mixed bunch some ok but i know what you mean about tramps they made some of the eastern clan look good. Ive always been amazed how some drivers don’t bother to look after them self’s, the smell on the bus at the train in the summer can make you sick.

thetourist:

welshboyinspain:

will do, am looking forward to it. ref longs drivers didn’t meet many of them in my short stay but they were a mixed bunch some ok but i know what you mean about tramps they made some of the eastern clan look good. Ive always been amazed how some drivers don’t bother to look after them self’s, the smell on the bus at the train in the summer can make you sick.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: my boss hates the train so we never have the pleasure of “odour de camionero” :blush: :blush:

The standards and wages must have dropped with RL in the last three or four years then, was OK when I was there. (I’ll stick up for you Richard, but I’ll be on my own) :blush:

raymundo:
The standards and wages must have dropped with RL in the last three or four years then, was OK when I was there. (I’ll stick up for you Richard, but I’ll be on my own) :blush:

wasn’t knocking longs just the wage structure same money for seven days as five is so wrong. would still be there for the right rewards thoroughly enjoyed the job

I’m in between ships at the mo and wouldn’t mind going back to bit of drivin over the water, but I dont think Richard or Lorraine have yet forgiven me for loosing a drive wheel of the unit on the motorway just outside of Rouen, (two new tyres and the wheel hub ruined) Sorry !!
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

What are the wages ■■?

There used to be about £500 a week go into my bank account, not a fortune but I was satisfied for sitting on my arse driving and admiring the scenery for nine hours a day. Not much physical hard work either, apart from checking the straps/chains for a couple or so days then stand back while someone else drives the machine off, reload could sometimes be a bit of a pain when the planners fill the trailer to the hilt.

raymundo:
There used to be about £500 a week go into my bank account

Was that after tax and NI?

Batista230:

raymundo:
There used to be about £500 a week go into my bank account

Was that after tax and NI?

After all deductions £500 in the bank 5 or 7 days that’s the problem no incentive to be away

I cant comment on what are good wages or bad wages, being out of the game now for a few years. A realistic true figure might be handy to know though just in case one day I may have to do it again. Being away for two or three weeks would be a doddle cos with my present job I’m away for at least 8 weeks.

did that include night out money

Batista230:
did that include night out money

yes thats it all in £500.

The £500 I mentioned was for about four or five years ago so with pay rises, inflation, ROE between € and the £, and the state of the industry I should think its worth about £300 now :slight_smile:

thetourist:
Hi chaps its been some time since my last post about me job hunting after my redundancy from Belkin…

I was asking Fiona a couple of weeks ago if she had seen you or knew how you were getting on. She told me you were, “Driving a truck with Bobcats in the back.” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I worked out it was probably Long’s from that scant information. :smiley: :laughing: Good to hear you have work sorted.

Just a little bit off topic, sorry :blush: , but for ‘thetourist’ I remember your post’s about your time at Belkin and your impending redundancy and had forgotten about it until last week when I saw a Belkin Scania pulling a box SB on the M1 and just today saw, possibly the same outfit, pulling an m/t skell SB on the A34. The unit is still liveried up as a Belkin motor :question: :question: Thats why it stood out and I knew someone from here had said they were getting rid of their own motors and that it was a really good job :exclamation: :question:

Any way ‘thetourist’ hope the new job works out OK :exclamation:

Rregards
Dave Penn;

As an aside, the Claas motors that ran from Saxham, just on the Newmarket side of Bury was also Richard Longs but used to have a completely different atmosphere when in that yard. Plenty of hard graft there with de-wheeling combine harvesters etc etc. But I dont know if that depot is even still running, do someone know?

If apply for a job with Richard Long,they ask if you wear jogging bottom trousers,and dont like un-tidy drivers.

raymundo:
As an aside, the Claas motors that ran from Saxham, just on the Newmarket side of Bury was also Richard Longs but used to have a completely different atmosphere when in that yard. Plenty of hard graft there with de-wheeling combine harvesters etc etc. But I dont know if that depot is even still running, do someone know?

As far as i know it’s still operating … used to be MAIN import centre for Claas. I’ve seen a couple of Claas trucks recently … artic & wagon/drag … in Claas colours - but i think one had Long’s name on it :wink:
The “box” lads out of Felixstowe should know for certain if Saxham is still open … as the A14 goes right past the end of the yard … i always used to have a “nosey” :laughing: