Baby due any day!

My partner is due to give birth in 12 days however she feels that the baby is going to come sooner due to the pains she’s having etc… I drive 18 tonne rigids for a firm in bristol, although they have plenty of local work they have chosen to send me to central London tomorrow with all the road closures due to tour dr France.

The company are fully aware of my situation.

Has any body else been in this situation, has there company done there best to offer them local work?

Many thanks

your company has a duty of care to follow,have a word with your union or swap with one of the lads ,im sure if they are a good bunch it wont be a problem :wink:

A decent company would re-schedule / rejig drivers to allow you to be close to base. What does it matter to them who does what as long as it gets done…

My employer made sure I was never more than an hour away for over 2 weeks and let me drop what I was doing the moment I got the call without deduction in wages.

ZiggyPhillips:
My partner is due to give birth in 12 days however she feels that the baby is going to come sooner due to the pains she’s having etc… I drive 18 tonne rigids for a firm in bristol, although they have plenty of local work they have chosen to send me to central London tomorrow with all the road closures due to tour dr France.

The company are fully aware of my situation.

Has any body else been in this situation, has there company done there best to offer them local work?

Many thanks

Call in sick. Tell them your missus has to go for hospital check up because of the pains. Baby being born is more important than ANY JOB!!!

Don`t miss the birth you and the missus would never forgive you.

Stick to you guns.

Not sure if I’d want to be there tbh, I’m just odd :frowning:

Pimpdaddy:
Not sure if I’d want to be there tbh, I’m just odd :frowning:

Nothing beats it, it’s a life changing experience for both parents.

My two youngest were both born on Saturday’s for the elder of the two got to the hospital at 11 and he was born at 4 for the youngest got there at 9 and she was born at 10 reckon even the police on the A75 might have let me off for speeding that night. But you have to be there best thing that can happen to you, just don’t look at the business end and be prepared to be called all the names under the sun. :smiley:

Kaistar:
Nothing beats it, it’s a life changing experience for both parents.

I know it’s life changing but the mrs is a pain:lol:

Well I ain’t read all of that but the bairn comes first, ■■■■■ the job.

2 weeks na just go do your job 1 week now that would be different … I was in Safeway Fort Dunlop when my 2nd was due a week away got called to the goods in office and was asked to ring the boss mean time they had already sorted out a slot and was tipping me, called into Droitwich and did a pick up on the way back too and then back to Bristol, even without the pick up I wouldn’t have made it.

Lets face it even if they kept you on locals whats to say you’ll get back to the yard and get to the hospital in time any way…
if its that important take holiday …

Pimpdaddy:
but the mrs is a pain

Just wait until you are there holding her hand through it all and suddenly she sits bolt upright and the nails sink DEEP into your hand, her head spins 360 degrees, her eyes almost pop out of her head and she turns to you snarling “YOU!!! YOU did this to me!!!”

It’ll all be worth it, trust me :stuck_out_tongue:

Kaistar:
Just wait until you are there holding her hand through it all and suddenly she sits bolt upright and the nails sink DEEP into your hand, her head spins 360 degrees, her eyes almost pop out of her head and she turns to you snarling “YOU!!! YOU did this to me!!!”

This is why I don’t want to be there:lol:

Kaistar:

Pimpdaddy:
but the mrs is a pain

On the 1st one she grabbed me and said with that wolf blood snarling teeth baring voice “NEVER AGAIN” :open_mouth:

Dont miss it was easy for my daughter as my granddaughter came out the sunroof so he had her for first hr they now have a very good bond

My x was there for both although nearly missed 2nd as I got to hospital at 10.00 son was born 10.15 & he named both when born

Don’t forget you’re entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave once its born. This is in addition to holidays but is only payable at £138 a week.

Conor:
Don’t forget you’re entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave once its born. This is in addition to holidays but is only payable at £138 a week.

Some decent companies pay you full wages for the 2 weeks!

Be there for the birth,some say its the best form of contraception.Congratulations in advance.

When the wife was due a few months ago, I was assigned (bar a few) localish runs. When I asked what would happen if she suddenly dropped I got told to simply bring the load back from wherever I am and they’ll reschedule it. Even said if anybody tells you any different “they want their head feeling”. End of the day family comes first, don’t miss the birth because your transport manager has told you to go somewhere or you’re not allowed to bring it back etc. It’s not to be missed, your missus and baby need you.

ZiggyPhillips:
My partner is due to give birth in 12 days however she feels that the baby is going to come sooner due to the pains she’s having etc…

Ask about Braxton-Hicks contractions. It’s like a rehearsal for the actual event, kind of like an athlete having a warm-up. (3 grown-up kids…)
Good luck with the impending doom :smiling_imp:
Can’t help with the other q sorry - only been driving a couple of months… :blush:

When my second came, I drove straight to the hospital with the motor, and my transport manager met me outside to take the motor off me.