B - C&E training following C fail?

Is it wise for me to consider B - C&E training having failed my class C a couple of times a few months back?
I suspect from an experience and learning point of view it may not be ideal to bypass C but I have limited funds and where I live has significantly more C&E work.

ConvoyKid:
Is it wise for me to consider B - C&E training having failed my class C a couple of times a few months back?
I suspect from an experience and learning point of view it may not be ideal to bypass C but I have limited funds and where I live has significantly more C&E work.

Depends why you failed C

If you have failed obtaining your C licence what makes you think it would be any easier to gain your C+E? Driving a C+E is harder than driving a rigid in some scenarios and vise versa. Rigids don’t bend and positioning you take varies whether rigid or artic etc, an artoc is a lot longer and a rigid is much shorter and acts much like a car in terms of reversing etc.

Why did you fail your C test and how many times? You say a couple so I assume 2 tests?

Without knowing more information how can anyone give you any useful advice. What did the examiner explain for the failures to you and did your instructor follow up on the fail points with you.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

ROG:

ConvoyKid:

Depends why you failed C

Short and succinct Rog! I could have just said that [emoji1787]

1st attempt

Serious faults:
*Control steering

Driving faults:
*Awareness/planning (3)
*Use of mirrors/signalling (2)
*Positioning/normal driving (2)
*Use of mirrors/change direction (1)

2nd attempt

Serious faults:
*Junctions - turning left
*Positioning - normal driving

Driving faults:
*Approach speed (2)
*Appropriate speed (2)
*Undue hesitation (1)

ConvoyKid:
1st attempt

Serious faults:
*Control steering

Driving faults:
*Awareness/planning (3)
*Use of mirrors/signalling (2)
*Positioning/normal driving (2)
*Use of mirrors/change direction (1)

2nd attempt

Serious faults:
*Junctions - turning left
*Positioning - normal driving

Driving faults:
*Approach speed (2)
*Appropriate speed (2)
*Undue hesitation (1)

From that it sounds like you need to learn to slow things down a little bit. Not driving too slowly but relax and slow things down a bit and give yourself time to react to developing situations. Driving too slowly can attract a mark down, but it’s learning appropriate speed and things like that.

Out of curiosity how long have you been driving?

Cheers for your advice simcor. I’ve been driving for just over thirty years.

ConvoyKid:
Cheers for your advice simcor. I’ve been driving for just over thirty years.

Hmmm, that could be part of the problem the longer you have been driving the easier it is to get into bad habits. And getting out of them is hard. As is being overconfident in our abilities as a driver.

I’m not saying either of those are the case here but things to think about.

Do you suffer from nerves on tests etc, could that be why your rushing or making those mistakes. Or could you be being overconfident leading to being to fast on approach etc?

Did you pass your B licence first time or did that take multiple attempts?

Your instructor should have given you a debreif and gone through all those faults with you tbh. Do you feel ready for your test with the provider you went with?

Some people are just more natural drivers than others, some people just will never be a good driver no matter how much effort is put into them but may well still pass a test.

Sorry lots of questions but something is causing this and they are the most likely reasons as I can see it from an armchair perspective.

A quick look at your post history has revealed that you had a fail and then a quick re-sit, which had the same result. You were unhappy with the training being with another trainee and would have preferred being trained alone.

If there is more class 1 in your area I would go for it, but do your research on the trainer. The forum sponsor operates the type of 1 on 1 training you prefer and always comes with high recommendations. Pay the extra to cover a second test and if you turn up willing to learn you should walk away with the category.

I’d be more concerned about the serious driving faults tbh than the minors but it seems the minor also needs working on as well.

You really should have had all these explained to you by the instructor after the tests.

simcor:
I’d be more concerned about the serious driving faults tbh than the minors but it seems the minor also needs working on as well.

You really should have had all these explained to you by the instructor after the tests.

The instructor did explain them to me following the tests but due to excess adrenalin of the occasion I have forgotten the specifics.
I do remember that the major in my first involved my inside left rear wheel lightly brushing a kerb at a point where the kerb on one side of the road juts out causing it to narrow. The other I clearly remember was my positioning on approaching a set of temporary traffic lights on the back road of a local industrial estate. I was positioned a little too far to the right which resulted in me impeding oncoming traffic.
With the lights on green on my approach I proceeded around 100 metres and as so often happens the lights changed to amber just as I started to position myself to move on to the other side of the road in order to squeeze through the narrow contraflow system. Once I realised, I calmly slowed to a stop and reversed into my side of the road to allow the oncoming traffic passed me. Insufficient familiarity with the width of my vehicle contributed to this as well as the traffic lights changing after I had started to position myself further to the right - either way I hold my hands up.

ConvoyKid:

simcor:

The instructor did explain them to me following the tests but due to excess adrenalin of the occasion I have forgotten the specifics.
I do remember that the major in my first involved my inside left rear wheel lightly brushing a kerb at a point where the kerb on one side of the road juts out causing it to narrow. The other I clearly remember was my positioning on approaching a set of temporary traffic lights on the back road of a local industrial estate. I was positioned a little too far to the right which resulted in me impeding oncoming traffic.

With the lights on green on my approach I proceeded around 100 metres and as so often happens the lights changed to amber just as I started to position myself to move on to the other side of the road in order to squeeze through the narrow contraflow system. Once I realised, I calmly slowed to a stop and reversed into my side of the road to allow the oncoming traffic passed me. Insufficient familiarity with the width of my vehicle contributed to this as well as the traffic lights changing after I had started to position myself further to the right - either way I hold my hands up.

Well it sounds like you recognise the issues and how you got to them, so that’s good.

The only other thing I can really suggest is treat a green like a red, if it is green and has been green for some time expect it to change to red and slow the approach down.

If it’s red then slow the approach down and roll it up to the lights, by the time you get there the lights will have likely changed and you can get moving much quicker.

As for the kerb just make sure you are giving yourself enough room to avoid clipping the kerb, sometimes it feels counter intuitive going further forward than you feel to make a turn but when you are long enough sometimes you have to take very wide turns or go further forward than you feel, even if that means encroaching onto the wrong side of the road when it is safe to do so. Also with positioning on turns ensure your positioning is giving you the space you need to make the turn.

And of course using your mirrors and speed really affects making turns easier or harder as well. If it’s tight nice and slow and keep checking those mirrors.

when i did my rigid training my instructor was pulling his hair out with me for my signaling and mirror habits. when it came to my test i put my door keys down my left sock so they were under my foot and reminded me to use my mirrors and signals.

same when i came to do class 1 having driven 7.5t and rigids for 2.5 years first thing my instructor said to me and my fellow student was you need to look up the road and plan me being me said well i have driven rigids for the last couple of years he just looked at me and said ok so at least you look half an ants personal part beyond the bonnet then he was right you need a hell of a lot more planning than you do in a rigid.

cooper1203:
same when i came to do class 1 having driven 7.5t and rigids for 2.5 years first thing my instructor said to me and my fellow student was you need to look up the road and plan me being me said well i have driven rigids for the last couple of years he just looked at me and said ok so at least you look half an ants personal part beyond the bonnet then he was right you need a hell of a lot more planning than you do in a rigid.

Thanks for that although I must admit I struggled to understand it in parts.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of financial support available anywhere to complete my training? I have tried my local benefits office but it appears the money allocated for HGV training around Covid time has run out. I would like to get this done & dusted asap so that I don’t spend oodles of never ending cash that I don’t have. Financial support would take away so much of the stress as the worry is that should I fail again my self confidence and bank balance will take fatal hits.
It’s frustrating as I’ve spoken to a local haulage company who have told me to contact them as soon as I have my full license with a view to a possible job.

ConvoyKid:
Does anyone know if there is any kind of financial support available anywhere to complete my training? I have tried my local benefits office but it appears the money allocated for HGV training around Covid time has run out. I would like to get this done & dusted asap so that I don’t spend oodles of never ending cash that I don’t have. Financial support would take away so much of the stress as the worry is that should I fail again my self confidence and bank balance will take fatal hits.
It’s frustrating as I’ve spoken to a local haulage company who have told me to contact them as soon as I have my full license with a view to a possible job.

The bootcamp scheme is over?

Many driving schools offer credit/loans for training, the obvious one being the forum sponsor, Peter Smyth?

Thanls for your advice Tony.

the point i was trying to make is you need to be even more aware and plan even further ahead than you do in a rigid.

cooper1203:
the point i was trying to make is you need to be even more aware and plan even further ahead than you do in a rigid.

Ok, Cheers for that cooper1203

If it’s any consolation, I failed Class 2 , passed 4th time which I thought was disgusting and Class 1. Passed 5th time. (I won’t be doing any tests in a moon rocket at this time…)