AXOR !!!!!!

Had a 58 plate Axor, the gearbox failed constantly.
Now have a brand new 2543 Axor.
Having problems at least twice a week.
When I use cruise control, the Gearbox will go into manual mode and will not let you select another gear, just stays in 12th. I have to pull over and do a full gearbox reset, which takes a couple of minutes. The red light says GS 28. This is the same gear selector problem with the old one.

I need to know if anyone else is having this issue?

My ■■■■■■■■ TM seems to not believe me !! Apart from driving Class 1 for 20 years, I think I know a bit !

Oh, try driving this truck in the green band on auto !! Forget it, just revs the engine to death.
I am aware this is a lower category truck, but not and OD so I get no choice.

I took a week old axor out,last Thursday…totally ■■■■.I know people say it’s only a fleet truck,but it isn’t in the same league as the little fm

Satans gearbox ruins this otherwise excellent durable and driveable lorry, as with all other vehicles except those fitted with Volvos version.

Vehicle buyers have swallowed the sales hype and bought into one of the best cons ever.

Suspension is crap.on a poor road surface(a1/m1link)the suspension simply cannot handle the bumps,resulting in a unstable truck.you can actually feel the front wheels skipping along the road surface.
■■■■■■ thing was all over the shop.

I agree, the slightest rut in the road and it feels like you are losing control. Especially when I pull the double deck.

But has anyone had to reset the gearbox?

gearbox was fine on the auto i used.oh…and another thing,the brakes are wooden

Snarley:
I agree, the slightest rut in the road and it feels like you are losing control. Especially when I pull the double deck.

But has anyone had to reset the gearbox?

dum dum daaaaaa… and cue dramatic Stobartesque music

“will our intrepid driver make it to Tescos on time? As he battles desperately in a fight to the death with the killer lorry” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Where’s the Knappster with his"drama queen" piccy :grimacing:

no drama…just saying it`s ■■■■ like…which it is.

I’ve been driving them for the past month, and i’ve tried really hard to like it, but I just can’t.

I’m glad other people have mentioned the road holding, because it feels dangerous at times, whereas in other trucks you would feel like you were on rails. These are only 4 wheelers, so I thought that might be the issue, as i’ve only ever driven 44t units, but it seems you are all finding the same.

Not only does it not go where you point it without a lot of driver input, it seems to throw you around the cab whilst you are doing it. It feels tiring to drive, i’m always wanting to go to sleep when I get where i’m going and that isn’t like me at all.

I can’t adjust the seat to make it comfortable either, there just doesn’t seem to be enough room, and i’m not exactly a giant at 5’10.

Compare the 430 to the 440 of the other marques, and it also feels like there is a lot more than 10 ponies missing!

I thought the gearbox was the good bit, you can change through the gears a lot quicker manually that i’ve known any other auto box to let you. Except maybe an i-shift, although that was so long ago now I can’t really remember.

Drive them all the time, have lost all gears coming up to a traffic standstill on the M6 :open_mouth: , reset to get me to the HUB where they recalibrated the gearbox.

What you say about the suspension is true as well, couple of bits on the inside lane on the M6 (one is near the Kendal/Sedburgh turn off), if you hit the ruts wrong it throws you right across the lane towards lane 2 :imp: . They go through side light bulbs at a hell of a rate :unamused: .

Also find that 5hrs into a shift my arris and backs of my legs start to get painful due to the seat.

What a ■■■■ truck, all should be scrapped & replaced with little fm, cf, g series etc… :exclamation:

Drive em in manual turn the damper to the softest setting on the seat job done, compared to the trucks of yesterday E.R.F Sudden Accident’s and the like they ain’t a bad unit.

Ultra reliable, decent engine nice and light on the steering perfect for certain work not as good as an FM but lots cheaper.

I’ve had a 2543 for the last two years from new. Previously (and occasionally now if I’m a good boy) I get to drive one of our Actros’s.

Axor is the most uncomfortable of all, despite having an excellent seat. It is in the wrong place and can’t be adjusted to compensate.

Suspension is taken from a Roman Racing Chariot and has a similar ride to the go-kart we built as kids, although less stable. Steering is hit or miss - less than 20 tonnes on the headboard and it will only go straight no matter what, although it does a brilliant Roger Clark impression on roundabouts. Put weight on the back of the trailer and you’ll be lucky to get enough traction to move at all.

Gearbox is superb on the odd occasion it works as it should. GS 22, 26 and 28 I think are the main fault codes. Usually it shows these when there is a queue behind - turn of, count to thirty, turn on, repeat, maybe it will reset and you can get on your way. Sometimes (roughly every 3 months, not sure of the exact dates!) it will lock into 12th while on the move. Pull over (remembering you have only one gear left!) turn off engine, count to thirty, try again. It might work. Always ensure you have enough air, or it is unable to select neutral anyway.

Otherwise not a bad truck for trunking. No less reliable than the Actros and will out-pull the 2544 up a hill (as much as a Merc will pull at all at the sight of a hill). Good radio, wipers work, lights as good as the Actros. Stupid slow moving setting (never use it, even I can reverse faster than 2 yards a day) but no anti-skid/traction control. Driver’s side mirror totally opaque in anything less than light drizzle, but who needs mirrors?

Anything else you need to know - ask my osteopath :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:
Where’s the Knappster with his"drama queen" piccy :grimacing:

drama queen.jpg

For the life of me, I can’t understand why people like these smaller type cabs on a unit (CF/FM/Axor/Pcab etc)…the driving positions are dire if your over 3’ tall or have or drive with no air in the seat suspension…no room to move, no room to put ya legs and getting to the passenger side without getting out and entering through the drivers door is the job of a contortionist (sp). I don’t want a big cab to make me look like King Ding-a-Ling, i want to be able to move around a bit. We have a few rentals in at the moment, all newish…A G-cab 440 hi-liner & a R- cab version, both 440’s…i swapped to the R cab simply because it’s got a smaller hump in the middle…and it’s a manual, not the Opticruise!

Recycled U-boats.

Finally proof that I can show the TM, thank you.

These trucks are close to dangerous.

just out of interest…what`s the price difference between an axor and a fm :question:

Axor due for chop?

truckingtopics.co.uk/antosiaa.html

Snarley:
Finally proof that I can show the TM, thank you.These trucks are close to dangerous.

As we speak I’m on the weighbridge at AKK hull having loaded my tank for heysham! Stuck in reverse, airs dropped out of it and it won’t reset the gearbox