Average Speed Checks

I have been up & down the M1 quite a lot recently, and through the 12 miles+ of roadworks where they are widening it between Trowell MSA and J28

Now, when I am in the truck, slowing down to 50 doesnt seem too bad, but when I am in my van it feels like I am going backwards, and its very frustrating, especially like coming home Saturday morning at 2am with nothing else on the road, and no work going on anywhere as far as I could tell

There are the “average speed check” cameras all the way through here as you all will know…but do they actually work? I have seen cars pass me at 70/80 mph several times, and trucks stuck on the limiter at 55/56mph.

Has anyone ever been done for speeding after being “checked” by these cameras?

Don,t know and I aint gonna chance it . Watched the lads trying to put the cones out on the M6 last night it was flashing 2 lanes closed for a good 2 miles and still the cars left it til the last minute . The guy putting the cones out had more bottle than me I can tell ya!

Just to add, its not that I want to speed through and get home 3 minutes earlier, I just wondered if anyone had been done by them thats all. I thought it would be quite difficult to prosecute someone for speeding with these cameras■■?

They seem to be like the cameras at Wetherby roadworks - not pointing in any particular direction or lane so I don’t know how they would check your speed. Then again, I’m one of those that wouldn’t chance it so yes they do work ie slow the traffic - even before you get to the roadworks!

BTW I was going south on A1 very early yesterday morning and they actually had traffic lights stopping traffic on the main carriageway at the temporary roadworks resurfacing the road near Leeming. Not sure if that was realy necessary!

Well this is Britain, always half a job done.
We get AVERAGE speed cameras, whereas the rest of europe gets top of the range. :laughing:

you never see the cabling for them go in do you
That in itself is a job and a half
the cable is not visiible on top of the ground is it

CCtv in shops have pretend dummy cameras
Its physcological is it not

The tv licence van doesnot really catch people

although thats not to say there are times when they maybe activated ones

I can safely say ‘yes they work’ as three of the guys from my last place got nobbled by the M1 stretch and 1 by the Bham set of cameras. So…

Dont risk it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

DS074:
Just to add, its not that I want to speed through and get home 3 minutes earlier, I just wondered if anyone had been done by them thats all. I thought it would be quite difficult to prosecute someone for speeding with these cameras■■?

I think a hell of a lot of people were caught speeding when SPECS were used on the M1 at luton, well thats going by the media anyway.

New SPECS have appeared on the A421 in MK and they have sat dishes on the camera poles… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Been running up the M4 to Thatcham everynight for past year set of Specs cameras are at jct with Windsor, jct 6 i think, been through on limiter every night never had a ticket.

Not 100% sure but if it says 50mph average speed then if you go through a set of Specs cameras for over a mile at 50 mph that is not your average speed?/ One for the maths genius’s out there

The average speed has been discussed before and I found a website that had the equation for average speed which proved that if you did 50 mph for 1 mile the average speed would be less than 50.
All our truck are set to 85k and on satnav only show 52 mph so I never bother slowing down in this average speed checks and never get a ticket…

Just a quick note ^^^ up there someone mentioned Birimingham cameras.
If this was the M42 then they are not average they are gatso and I think they flash when they want :laughing:

If you go round Nottingham and its ring road its full of them and apparently dish out as many tickets as derby and leicester put together

For what I understand from a few years ago with Specs, however they might have changed since then is that you can cheat them by swapping lanes everytime you pass a camera, so you are in a different lane for the next camera.

Reason why is that they only communicate with their counterpart camera in the SAME lane further down the road. Communication between cameras is usually wireless.

Devon & Cornwall Police admitted this was correct on TV last year, but as I said, they may have changed.

paul@midway - the equasion is…

Speed = Time ÷ Distance or
Distance = Speed x Time or
Time = Distance ÷ Speed

Paul.

Who,s gonna volounteer to try it then?

Plenty out there doing it already.

The problem with specs is knowing which cameras work together if you have

A B C D

then A and B and C and D are not neccessarily the pairings, it could be A and C and B and D or A and D and B and C. And AFAIK the threshold is Speed Limit + 10% as with most cameras. It is always comical watching white van man and Mr Rep fly through the works at 80 and slam on the anchors for the camera and then hoof it again. Not really understanding the concept of an AVERAGE speed check.

NB the most infuriating thing with these is the car drivers who slow down to 45 and sit in lane 2 or sit in lane 1 but speed up every time you nearly get passed them. A special mention to the Audi TT driver on Saturday night on M1 Southbound near Trowell who felt his dignity was infringed by the overtaking truck who decided to cut in front of it without indicating and then slam his brakes on. Why would you do such a thing?

DS074:

ive never heard of anybody being caught by them either.

You answered your own question Tofer.

Audi TT driver!

When i was in the army, driving the landys up the m1, i used to do 70mph through them both ways. every time never seen 1 ticket

They probably looked at the army plate, thought it was foreign and binned it.

do the average speed cams on the a14 work??
i was doing 50 last thursday and only me and a morrisions were doing the 50… others were going on the limit. :unamused: