Average speed camera's in r/works on motorways

Has anyone ever been done by the average speed camera’s on motorways,50mph ones.
Reason for asking as I normally stick to the 50mph but there’s alot of drivers that seem to be just steaming on by me

If you are going through them with your speedo indicating 50 then you will be doing less then the limit. If you go through on the limiter with the speedo showing 56/90 then you won’t get a ticket as the cameras are set well above that, if they set them low they couldn’t physically deal with the number of tickets they would generate. For a few years now whether in a car or a truck I have gone through them, traffic volume permitting, at an indicated 56/57 and never had a ticket. that includes in recent months those on the M25 Essex section, M1 near Luton and those that were until recently near Nottingham and that long section on the A1 in, I think it’s, the Wetherby area and no ticket.

cheers coffeeholic that explains it then

I’d still like to know if the ones not on m/ways are intelligent (i.e. direct link to DVLA database) & can therefor tell if a larger vehicle is exceeding its limit?

I’ve brought this up before but don’t recall we’ve ever had a conclusive answer.

I was always under the impression that these cameras were ‘manned’ and a particular vehicle could be singled out and timed through the restricted area.

It amuses me the number of people who don’t understand the concept of
average speed and go through them at 5mph less than the posted limit. :imp:

Pain in the arse if it’s single lane.

Driveroneuk:
I’d still like to know if the ones not on m/ways are intelligent (i.e. direct link to DVLA database)

Yes they are linked.

Driveroneuk:
& can therefor tell if a larger vehicle is exceeding its limit?

AFAIK most speed limits enforced by ave speed cams are lower than the possible permitted limit
and apply to all vehicles regardless i.e. the A77 from Symington to Maybole is 50Mph. The only exception
I can see to that would be single carriageways where the limit is 40Mph i.e section of the A52 near
Nottingham and some parts of the A77.

Davnic:
I was always under the impression that these cameras were ‘manned’ and a particular vehicle could be singled out and timed through the restricted area.

Their not manned, just need a 2 cameras to work in a pair, vehicles are tracked by ANPR and the computer does
the rest. Thing is you don’t know which ones are the active pair. :wink:

Colingl:

And if they sit in the middle lane under the speed limit.

Colingl:
Their not manned, just need a 2 cameras to work in a pair, vehicles are tracked by ANPR and the computer does

So is every vehicle monitored/timed between the two points or are vehicles picked at random?

Is it live or are recordings watched at a later date and the calculations made?

Colingl:
AFAIK most speed limits enforced by ave speed cams are lower than the possible permitted limit
and apply to all vehicles regardless i.e. the A77 from Symington to Maybole is 50Mph. The only exception
I can see to that would be single carriageways where the limit is 40Mph i.e section of the A52 near
Nottingham and some parts of the A77.

i.e. A616 (Woodhead) around Stocksbridge cars 60 vans 50 LGV 40

Davnic:
So is every vehicle monitored/timed between the two points or are vehicles picked at random?

Colingl already said:

Never bother coming off the limiter, unless you have too because of numptys.

gazzah:

Colingl:

Not to mention the tossers that go above 50 between cameras, the brake to 45 at EVERY ■■■■■■■ CAMERA!!!

C-Kay:

gazzah:

Colingl:

Not to mention the tossers that go above 50 between cameras, the brake to 45 at EVERY [zb] CAMERA!!!

Usually in german cars I’ve noticed. I imagine the thought process goes “the limit is seventy, most people do eighty and some ninety. Put an average speed check in at 50, the majority will do 50-55, some will do 45 and hold the rest up, so set the threshold at 60 and we’ll catch the ones going far to fast for safety”

Lycanthrope:
Never bother coming off the limiter, unless you have too because of numptys.

Same here.

I sit at 50, simply because thats what im limited to all the time lol, in duals ofcourse

I set the cruise at 50, then turn it off as a car has come flying past, swered infront, slammed on the brakes and sits at 40. :unamused:

In the car when im on my own time I roll through with my speedo at 55 / 60 and no problems yet

Theres quite a long stretch on the M4 past Newport with these cameras on it!!

I haven’t been done but there was an article in the local rag stating that 1000’s had been prosecuted since their introduction!

Keep safe out there guys!

Colingl:

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras. There is no film used for SPECS.

“The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours”.

And if you want to know where they all are, LOOK HERE

Are you one of those drivers who slow down as you pass normal speed cameras?
If so be warned there is a new camera coming out in a town near you soon that records your speed as you approach, then takes your picture as you pass.

jimti:
Are you one of those drivers who slow down as you pass normal speed cameras?
If so be warned there is a new camera coming out in a town near you soon that records your speed as you approach, then takes your picture as you pass.

How can they prove your speed ? surely you could blame a car in another lane or something like that.