Automatic suspension for mobile use on cards

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … e-on-cards

What about
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Van drivers
Company car drivers
They all drive for a living.Are we special.

Forget bus drivers just read it again

Totally agree with it, but it should apply to all other commercial drivers too.

Another stupid rule/law I think, we shroud carry on as we please #nannystate:evil:

Discrimination will be called into this

No crumple zones on a truck… Forty four tonnes slamming into you because some numpty is chatting away on a phone is never going to end well. :open_mouth:

To be honest it’s probably fair enough.

Now, I’m not saying I don’t occasionally have the phone in my hand but I usually use the bluetooth.

it can happen already,if a HGV driver has been prosecuted for using a mobile while driving a TC can suspend the drivers vocational licence if he feels he needs to

A TC can suspend /revoke any HGV licence held by anyone who has, or will have a criminal conviction ( driving related or not ) and it comes under the `REPUTE RULES as not being a reputable person to hold a licence.
All rules related to driving whether HGV to a CAR are being reasessed, from Lane hogging, to mobile phone use.
I recently read an article that stated drivers who use a hands free kit, have as much concentration as a person who has a had a few too many. And if you look at the mobile phone rules, they brought in a law to restrict drivers from using them whilst driving, then said a driver will get 3 points, then they doubled the fine, and still no one is listening, they ignore it at their peril, and wonder why the rules of the game are being changed, maybe they are hounding truckers, because theyre the worst offenders ?
We all break the laws on a lot of occasions, no one is a saint, but a lot of instances can be avoided, no phone call is worth 3 points and a big fine, so i dont understand why drivers ( especially so called professionals ) continue to do it, risking their own life, and those of others too.

Sounds like a good idea…
Makes no difference to law abiding/safety concious folk like me.

I have no particular feelings either way on the subject of mobile use whilst driving. I believe some folk can quite safely carry out a call without it adversely affecting their awareness and ability, I also believe some people can barely manage to walk and talk at the same time.

No, what really bothers me is lorry drivers yapping on the phone with it held to their right ear! Regardless of whether or not it affects their driving it is quite simply stupidity of the highest order and when I’m president of the world I’ll crack down on stupidity at every level. The punishment for holding a phone to your right ear will be to have “I am stupid” carved into your forehead with a Stanley knife, second offence would mean instant tazering to death. It is our duty to stamp out stupidity folks.

i put mine on loud speaker and trap it in the neck of my jumper :neutral_face: , i used to carry an old pay as you throw around with me in the glovey, once i threw my phone out the window on the east lancs after a copper eyeballed me on it, :slight_smile: when pulled i disputed the fact and he asked for the imei, out came the pay as you throw, he checked the call log and scoured the car for another mobile, obviously didnt find one, he settled for an mot failure, no windscreen wash and a seatbelt fine, better than 3 points tho, which in the end i did get for another offence, since then ive been a good boy :blush:

On a couple of occasions before the laws came in, i had been chatting to the missus, then missed my junction, so i believe that although we think we are in control, concentration does lapse. Nowdays i letb it ring and call the person back as soon as i can stop safely, if its the office asking how long i`m gonna be to the delivery, i merely tell them that because i was forced to make a stop, that has delayed me considerably, because whilst i am here, i will make better use of my time, and also tell them that they too are liable if i was to answer the phone. It pees me off when office staff never seem to get briefed about calling drivers whilst on the move, and even more so when trackers are fiitted, but theyre too lazy to look at the screen.

ive already mentioned the hitler brigade from the eu lot telling us what we can and cant do,its getting silly now, we need to stop all this now, so its no phones ,what about satnavs, radios, cds, electric windows seats heater switches etc etc oh yes that’s coming in a later directive,im sorry to say this but the failed lorry driver strike in 1976 should be tried now,but this time not just hire & reward firms every single driver in the country, then the country will stop :imp: :imp: wishfull thinking eh, cant see eddies lot letting tescos down can you, :smiley: :smiley: we all call the French but by god they wouldn’t stand for it like we do :smiley: :smiley: vote ukip now :smiley:

Dipper_Dave:
Sounds like a good idea…

+1 … I’ll agree with this.

Many drivers do not understand that they can be called in front of the TC for habitual breaches of the regulations and law; and receive hefty fines and a suspensions for the privilege. This new approach under consideration is going to bring the message home to drivers who think they are above the law…

How can you argue against it?

royhebb2:
we need to stop all this now, so its no phones ,what about satnavs, radios, cds, electric windows seats heater switches etc etc oh yes that’s coming in a later directive

Road Traffic Act 1968, 1988 and 1995…nothing to do with EU Directives at all…remember that bit in the Highway Code…?

that’s a big list under your post, just like mine apart from the adr stuff never fancied it, but ive also got all the psv stuff as well, which means a coach with trailer, not many coach drivers got that one, but getting back to your comment I can disagree with you and I do, its crap, sorry to say you sound like you could get a job at vosa and fit right in :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: but each to their own, im old school I can still rope & sheet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

fingermissing:
http://www.commercialmotor.com/latest-news/automatic-suspension-for-mobile-use-on-cards

What about
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Van drivers
Company car drivers
They all drive for a living.Are we special.

Forget bus drivers just read it again

Taxi drivers can also have their licences suspended for traffic offences, like truck/bus drivers they also have to notify Licencing of any offences!
It does say second offence, if a driver didn’t get the message the first time he got done, he deserves to get suspended!

Why only people doing it for a living. A car can cause just as much mayhem as a truck when it’s in the hands of a gormless ■■■■■

peterm:
Why only people doing it for a living. A car can cause just as much mayhem as a truck when it’s in the hands of a gormless [zb].

Suppose its a Professional vs Amateur thing, as when things go wrong in a big vehicle the consequences can be a little more severe.

As we are professionals we also have a duty / obligation to guard the safety of other road users, our job isnt just to get goods from A - B it is to set an example. Those that can’t set an example will have punishments forced upon them.

We are the elite on the roads (especially those who have completed their CPC) and should behave in a manner befitting that title.

We do this for long hours and in some cases very little pay, no thanks is needed - just knowing that our country can keep turning because of our efforts is reward enough.

Must dash as this seat is getting a little hot due to the sun shining out of my ■■■■■■… :slight_smile:

Good thing too, in my book. Any fines for mobile use on the move are basically a stupidity tax anyway, and a suspension from driving is only an extension of that. You can pick up a bluetooth headset for under twenty quid these days. Why anyone uses a hand held mobile while driving is beyond me.

Couple of bus drivers get sacked for using their phones in the drivers seat while stationary on turning point with engine switched off. And Union couldn’t help them.
When I been doing PCV training instructor told us that the TC insist on new rules.
If you’re driving in your ovn car and have PCV or LGV entitlement you’ll meet the TC court because you are professional driver and should know conequencies!
So. Looks like it’s not far from that!