Automatic or manual ?

What would you recommend passing your class 2 in a automatic or manual ?

Do it in whatever you feel most comfortable. There’s no right and wrong. 2 axle rigids are nearly always auto or 6 speed. Life can get more interesting when the truck gets heavier with some having 8 or 16 gears but many still auto.

If you hold a manual car licence you’ll get manual truck licence whichever route you choose.

We have a mixed fleet of trucks, all purchased brand new, so I have no axe to grind.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Manual for sure. If you get a job with a manual you might be qualified but will you really know how to use it?

DJC:
Manual for sure. If you get a job with a manual you might be qualified but will you really know how to use it?

Or take it in an Auto, and do a lesson in a manual afterwards…

I passed last week in an auto and am now struggling using a manual in my new job. It took two days to get used to the 4 over 4 gearbox for me, I would suggest do it in a manual or have at least one lession in one before you start a job. But if I was using a manual would I have passed my licence with only three day lessions? I doubt it. It’s up to you

Done my course in a manual which was fine but failed the test missing a gear which stopped traffic behind me, took my retest in a auto and passed so all good. Manual in my opinion isn’t that hard to get the hang of but anyone can get a gear wrong when you don’t need to.

So many things to consider…and there is more to choosing a truck than just the box…

Have you have experience operating different manual gearboxes, tractors etc, can you get the hang of it easily?

What sort of manual gearbox might you be using? straight six, range change or range change plus splitter? A straight six won’t pose you any issues if you can drive a car competently.

Does it work well? Is the vehicle old or very modern, if its a automatic does the gearbox function correctly? What about the rest of vehicle, are the brakes easy to use? What is the wheelbase - will it cut in lots on corners? What is your view from the driving seat like? Can you see round the mirrors easily?

We always buy new trucks specifically designed for training and replace them regularly because that way we can get the perfect truck, try not to settle for an ex haulage truck, most schools buy new trucks nowadays except the smaller providers, but this will be reflected in their price. You just take your choice! We kept one manual Volvo FH Globetrotter with a manual gearbox on 2006 plate for giving customers a go in a manual truck - but not many seem interested.

The only way to know for yourself is to have a go at driving both!

If I had the choice? Auto everytime. That being said, I’d love to do a day or two in a slap over.

If your looking to sail through your training and test with out the hassle of worrying about gears… then most on here will recommend auto,whilst it might seem the easy route the issue comes when your presented a manual on driving assessment or the company that offer you work only has manual units.

Georgemckee999:
I passed last week in an auto and am now struggling using a manual in my new job. It took two days to get used to the 4 over 4 gearbox for me

So if you pass on a auto you might end up having to pay for some additional training for a manual anyway, But for my money if you really want to cut your teeth into something I’d say go manual … transition between manual to auto is much easier :grimacing:

I’d personally go manual, but then again I did choose a tractor unit and a curtainsider over wagon and drag…

Can’t see how passing in one of them gives you a right to a c+e :smiling_imp:

Swampey2418:
If your looking to sail through your training and test with out the hassle of worrying about gears… then most on here will recommend auto,whilst it might seem the easy route the issue comes when your presented a manual on driving assessment or the company that offer you work only has manual units.

Georgemckee999:
I passed last week in an auto and am now struggling using a manual in my new job. It took two days to get used to the 4 over 4 gearbox for me

So if you pass on a auto you might end up having to pay for some additional training for a manual anyway, But for my money if you really want to cut your teeth into something I’d say go manual … transition between manual to auto is much easier :grimacing:

All true, and I’ve met drivers that have failed assessments because they couldn’t get to grips with the manual box. But getting the licence is the hard part, so paying for a lesson in a manual afterwards is probably a lot more relaxing…

Do your test in a manual give you a better base for getting a job

yt03:
I’d personally go manual, but then again I did choose a tractor unit and a curtainsider over wagon and drag…

My sentiments exactly… Strange world how the DVSA think…

Swampey2418:

yt03:

My sentiments exactly… Strange world how the DVSA think…

That conversation has done the rounds plenty of times before, and it still doesn’t make sense… :laughing:
It doesn’t bother me, I did mine in an Artic! :smiley:

alix776:
Do your test in a manual give you a better base for getting a job

Why would that be?

Seriously, if someone passes in an auto and cant cope with a 6 speed manual, then maybe they’ve chosen the wrong career path. First to accept that, faced with an 8 speed, life could get interesting. But what is achieved by training on a 6 speed and being thrown into an 8 speed?

I’ve said this many times on the forum, but not for a while = so I’ll say it again. Older drivers (like me) generally learned on an artic with a 5 speed box and a single axle flat bodied 30’ trailer. When I started delivering training, it was on that type of vehicle. I have no recollection of anyone struggling with an 8 speed or whatever afterwards. I certainly didn’t. It’s not much more than common sense. But, under pressure of test, it could be make or break. And that’s a shame on the occasions it happens.

It also needs pointing out that there is more than one manual box out in the real world. You may get lucky and get one the same as the training vehicle. Equally, you may not.

I believe that the up and coming driver of today is every bit as capable of sorting themselves out as we were 40 years ago.

So my thoughts are that folks should decide purely on what they think they will feel comfortable with. Some will go auto and some manual. No right or wrong. Just personal preference.

If in doubt, book assessments in both types. Then decide.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

yt03:

Did you have a full size curtain when you did as some companies dont use a full size one.Then you would find out the wag and dag maybe longer.A wag and drag can be harder to reverse because it moves quicker than a artic but i did my test in a full size wag and drag which is longer than a artic.

So does than mean i should not have c+e even though i passed in something that was 18.5 meters and not 16.5 meters just asking. Back on topic i would pick a manual because alot of class 2 trucks are still manual

Colin_scottish:

yt03:

Did you have a full size curtain when you did as some companies dont use a full size one.Then you would find out the wag and dag maybe longer.A wag and drag can be harder to reverse because it moves quicker than a artic but i did my test in a full size wag and drag which is longer than a artic.

So does than mean i should not have c+e even though i passed in something that was 18.5 meters and not 16.5 meters just asking. Back on topic i would pick a manual because alot of class 2 trucks are still manual

I sat my test in that… Fair cop if you sat your test in a w&d bigger than that mate! Thing that infuriates me is these stupid 7.5 tonners with a stupid box on the back, maybe it’s just my area that runs these??

yt03:

Colin_scottish:

yt03:

I sat my test in that… Fair cop if you sat your test in a w&d bigger than that mate! Thing that infuriates me is these stupid 7.5 tonners with a stupid box on the back, maybe it’s just my area that runs these??

No i understand were your coming from i dont agree either with it but i dont get paid enough to make the rules.The wag and drag is 2 meters bigger i know its not much but so diffrent to drive and more of a challenge going backwards just because its moves quicker.

If it was up to me you would have to sit your test with a Eaton twin splitter and sort the men out from the boys… My old employer runs old trucks, first thing he asked was “can you drive manuals” luckily I’ve drove the older stuff having to double clutch etc!

Don’t get me wrong mate I love a good w&d set up but not these stupid things from Leconfield that clog up the roads! BUT if it will make it easier for someone to pass the test fair enough… But be prepared to get thrown in a manual in the real world.