Auto or Manual ?

Over the last few years I’ve found myself driving almost all auto gearboxes …Scania, Merc and Daf mostly.

However, turned into work for a usual two week stint out and was given the keys to a year old Volvo FH 480 with a manual gearbox …and what a pleasure has been to drive over the past few weeks. I’d swap it with the auto anyday !!! …just gutted I won’t be keeping it :confused:

Anyone else have a preference ■■?

I’m the opposite I usually drive manuals but the odd time I get given a spin in the auto volvos and its a welcome change having the lorry do all the gear shifting for me, especially around towns and where there’s lots of stopping and starting.

Waved bye bye to slap box last November, no regrets. Auto all the way for me.

bazstan009:
Auto all the way for me.

+1

Ken.

A lot of old gits like me would be in the “we started with Manual and prefer it camp”!

I am…love to be in control of everything.
Eaton Twinsplits rule.

Give me eye teeth for a proper manual box again preferably constant mesh or twin splitter, wouldn’t say no to a decent ■■■■■■■ under the bonnet either.

AUTO preferred.

Really enjoyed the 2008 Renault Premium 450 Dxi.

Don’t like the autos with clutch like Scania.

Eaton Twin Splitter. Best gearbox in the world. Even better in an ERF. God what an amazing combination. FH16 750? Pfffttt, I’d give it up in a second for a ERF with a Twin Split…

I always wanted a twin splitter but having used an I Shift I don’t see the point anymore. Never liked the Daf cf 8 speed, and the Merc slap across was awful and way out of date. So for me it’s the I shift but that could change as I’m a Scania driver from 19th August!

Had a scania auto new in 08 and after a couple of weeks thought the auto was great, got a new 12 plate last year and its back to manual. Find it far better, more control and just below 1mpg better on fuel. Trucks are identical spec except the gearbox.

Auto especaly I shift although after my stint in canada if it has to be manual I’ll take a fuller over any synchro box

kr79:
Auto especaly I shift although after my stint in canada if it has to be manual I’ll take a fuller over any synchro box

Are we to take from this your stint in Canada is over?

switchlogic:
Eaton Twin Splitter. Best gearbox in the world. Even better in an ERF. God what an amazing combination. FH16 750? Pfffttt, I’d give it up in a second for a ERF with a Twin Split…

Juddian:
Give me eye teeth for a proper manual box again preferably constant mesh or twin splitter, wouldn’t say no to a decent ■■■■■■■ under the bonnet either.

3 wheeler:
A lot of old gits like me would be in the “we started with Manual and prefer it camp”!
Eaton Twinsplits rule.

switchlogic:

:laughing: twin splitter was the early auto, wonder how that 750 would go with a twin splitter in it

mastesallan:

switchlogic:

Juddian:

3 wheeler:
Eaton Twinsplits rule.

Mine was taking the ■■■■ though. :wink: I think twin splitters were an abortion of a gearbox

scotstrucker:

switchlogic:

:laughing: twin splitter was the early auto, wonder how that 750 would go with a twin splitter in it

It would disintegrate if you tried to put that much power through it!

Went in to tesco’s last week offered either manual or auto … both axors.

Auto every time… easy life :smiley:

Merc Axors autos not bad now. I shift best imho

Yes have driven all sorts … ZF Eaton crash boxes twin splits etc etc

but auto is more relaxed driving allowing you to concentrate on what is happening around you

I had an very early Merc Actros I think it was 1840 on Demo I had it for 2 weeks the gearbox drove me crazy it did what it liked half the time it wouldn’t choose the right gear you couldn’t rush it I could wait to get back to my ERF with a twin splitter very fast clutches gear changes if you knew how to drive em proper a few years later we had a ERF EC14 on demo with 525 14ltr ■■■■■■■ with a Twin Splitter it would leave all the so called super swedes for dead but that’s another story

i drive an auto FH 61 plate, its the first automatic anything ive ever drives (never driven an auto car either) i thought it was ok when i got it, but since a couple of months ago ive got really bored and ■■■■■■ off with it. I would gladly take a Daf XF with a 16 speed box.

switchlogic:

good on the m .way but you needed a good memory for some nifty cogswapping , give me the road ranger 13 sp now that was a box !!