Auto or Manual ?

unclegargameld:

switchlogic:
Eaton Twin Splitter. Best gearbox in the world. Even better in an ERF. God what an amazing combination. FH16 750? Pfffttt, I’d give it up in a second for a ERF with a Twin Split…

good on the m .way but you needed a good memory for some nifty cogswapping , give me the road ranger 13 sp now that was a box !!

woosh!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Eaton TWINSPLITTER :sunglasses: first, Volvo F12 3 over 3 with half split :laughing: second scanias 13 speed third :smiley: probably zf or fuller last but not least! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: mind you the F12 and F16s could fly in the 90s :wink:

switchlogic:

kr79:
Auto especaly I shift although after my stint in canada if it has to be manual I’ll take a fuller over any synchro box

Are we to take from this your stint in Canada is over?

Don’t know yet come back to sort my car crash of a personal life but that’s now in the hands of the divorce courts so once that’s sorted I have to make a few decisions.

kr79:

switchlogic:

kr79:
Auto especaly I shift although after my stint in canada if it has to be manual I’ll take a fuller over any synchro box

Are we to take from this your stint in Canada is over?

Don’t know yet come back to sort my car crash of a personal life but that’s now in the hands of the divorce courts so once that’s sorted I have to make a few decisions.

In my humble opinion, unless you can get a good job driving round Europe which is like hens teeth now, go back to Canada.

It’s tough I have found it hard to adapt back to tipper driving in London.

kr79:

please tell me too eff off if you want but if you are a single man now despite not feeling it it right now the world is your oyster. Go back.

manual, ANY DAY OF THE YEAR! more control :slight_smile:

thats it, end of story!

B…

I would only want a manual if it was a MAN of a DAF as I think the autos in them are crap. Currently drive a Renault Premium with auto and I’d go as far as saying its a perfect gearbox. Beats any auto or manual box any day.

I prefer a good manual for motorway and local work. If I was city driving all the time it would be an auto.

switchlogic:

kr79:

please tell me too eff off if you want but if you are a single man now despite not feeling it it right now the world is your oyster. Go back.

That’s favourite once mortgages and all that crap is sorted

switchlogic:

scotstrucker:

switchlogic:
Eaton Twin Splitter. Best gearbox in the world. Even better in an ERF. God what an amazing combination. FH16 750? Pfffttt, I’d give it up in a second for a ERF with a Twin Split…

:laughing: twin splitter was the early auto, wonder how that 750 would go with a twin splitter in it

It would disintegrate if you tried to put that much power through it!

It was the best box designed for the power put through it, no doubt if a new one appeared it would be designed for the new horsepower put through it and people like me would want to buy it.

And I will bet that if you go to a Truck show in the future (say 30yrs) that there wont be many 2013 auto box things on show but there will still be what is on show today , real engineered repairable trucks.

The twin splitter was discontinued due to noise it couldn’t pass Euro 3 and by then ERF Seddon Atkinson and Foden had already started fitting synchro boxes the last one fitted was in a Seddon Atkinson Stratocruiser for an owner driver in Devon

3 wheeler:

switchlogic:

scotstrucker:

switchlogic:

:laughing: twin splitter was the early auto, wonder how that 750 would go with a twin splitter in it

It would disintegrate if you tried to put that much power through it!

It was the best box designed for the power put through it, no doubt if a new one appeared it would be designed for the new horsepower put through it and people like me would want to buy it.

And I will bet that if you go to a Truck show in the future (say 30yrs) that there wont be many 2013 auto box things on show but there will still be what is on show today , real engineered repairable trucks.

I’m sure poeple said that about things like the Volvo F cabs and Scania 3 series 20 years ago, but they’re being restored and just because the technology look complex now and expensive to repair it doesn’t mean it will be that way in 30 years time when you can probably get the software, Laptop and some geek to sort it out for peanuts.

As for the is ishift system being complex. Isn’t just a constant mesh box with some fancy electronics to operate it, so the mechanical parts are probably simpler than the manual synchro boxes from the trucks of the generation before it.

Yes it is. As you say when the first motors like the 143 500 with edc come out people said they would be dead in 10 years and wouldn’t be able to be repaired.
Now in a tool kit you need a laptop as well as spanners

Well the Twin Splitter being the best is arguable, I think they are junk.

And as for truck shows in 30 years?! Who cares! I wouldn’t pick a truck on wether it’ll be at a truckshow in 30 years! You’re also doing a lot of very clever truck designers a disservice with your real engineering quip. A modern truck is more engineered than any ERF ever built. And every bit of them is reparable. After all most independent truck garages have the technology and know how now, I know ours does. The engineering that’s gone into modern trucks is amazing so as far as I’m concerned you can keep the old relics.

ps, its funny, I’m actually old enough to remember where there were lots of ERFs on our roads, and they were always unpopular with drivers, the one where my Dad worked was nicknamed ‘the coffin’! Nobody wanted to drive it. I’ve driven a far few myself and they were horrible. All of them. Funny what time does isn’t it.

They only got the performance right once they put an American driveline in but the garden shed for a cab and fit finish and electrics by Steve wonder was never going to beat the European truck builders in the end.
I know of a young lad who’s erf mad thinks its the greatest truck and most reliable out there but forgets he spends all weekend tinkering with it.
ERF built in Britain fell apart everywhere.

Auto every time…

If they start paying 20 quid an hour the manual box would still not be worth the effort… :smiley: :smiley:

The only trucks that need automatic gearboxes are dustcarts and tugs.

The “automatics” fitted to what seems to be the majority of new HGV’s these days are just another example of dumbing down. Personally I hate them and have serious doubts about their safety.

I’d be interested to find out the percentage of them sold in mainland Europe compared to the UK and the fleet size/type of gearbox figures, if anyone could point me to them.

I’ve had an auto on tipper work the last couple of weeks and although its better now that I’m used to it, I’d still prefer a manual. We go on and out of farms which can be tight enough and I prefer the clutch control of a manual.
Find it relaxing to drive otherwise though and I think if I had an auto box that still kept the clutch pedal for slow speed manoeuvring I’d be happy enough.

Never understood this control argument. You’ve just as much control, just with a different foot.