AUTO BOXES pics and info please

As many LGVs now have various types of auto gear boxes and there is virtually nothing about them in the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread (link below in my signature) then please could we have some pictures and driver information on them so a separate post can be made from this thread and put into that link

Thank you

Hi Rog.
I was starting to follow Peter Smythe’s advice and found these pages.

www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-tr … index.html

Replace actros3 with atego or axor for those models and drill down to the automatic transmission instructions.

Don’t know how fussy they are about copyright.

Thanks but really want personal explanations with personal pics if poss

Mines only a Iveco Eurocargo 7.5t, but I believe it shares a box across the range, so I can write a little something and get some photos if it helps. Can even do a video if you want.

I know I would have liked some info on it before I went in blind a few weeks ago.

109LWB:
Mines only a Iveco Eurocargo 7.5t, but I believe it shares a box across the range, so I can write a little something and get some photos if it helps. Can even do a video if you want.

Yes please - that’s what I think all will be after

I can give some advice on MAN auto boxes.

In my opinion if you need help sussing out an auto box, in ANY lorry, then you really should be questioning your intelligence.

Truckbling:
In my opinion if you need help sussing out an auto box, in ANY lorry, then you really should be questioning your intelligence.

I agree, yes there are different techniques used to switch modes etc, but you need to be a special kind of stupid to not understand the difference between Reverse, Auto/Drive, Manual and Neutral.

newmercman:

Truckbling:

I agree, yes there are different techniques used to switch modes etc, but you need to be a special kind of stupid to not understand the difference between Reverse, Auto/Drive, Manual and Neutral.

I assume its easy to use tiptronic etc because I have never done so - would I be able to figure any sort out without any assistance?

Used a bin lorry one ok - that was easy but silly - lever back to go forwards and lever forwards to go back = EH!! - which numpty designed that?

ROG:
lever back to go forwards and lever forwards to go back = EH!! - which numpty designed that?

Probably thought that since HGV drivers like steering right to reverse left then we might enjoy forwards to go back too… :slight_smile:

ROG:

newmercman:

Truckbling:

I assume its easy to use tiptronic etc because I have never done so - would I be able to figure any sort out without any assistance?

Used a bin lorry one ok - that was easy but silly - lever back to go forwards and lever forwards to go back = EH!! - which numpty designed that?

The word automatic sums it up really, you push a button, turn a dial, move a stick into A for Auto or D for Drive, push down on the accelerator and it does the rest…

I totally disagree that people need to be told how to do the simple things in life, it removes the ability to think for yourself or work things out.

The dumbing down of society is turning people into robots who cannot do the simplest tasks without instructions or risk assessments.

lever back to go forwards and lever forwards to go back = EH!! - which numpty designed that?

The same person that designed the auto buses I’ve driven and several cars including the VW I have now. LOL

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

youtu.be/Ff-0IDleMBY

This is the simplest gear box in a training truck IMO 6 speed with a splitter.

Paul :smiley:

Very good - for a manual. Thought this thread was about autos.

Peter Smythe:
Very good - for a manual. Thought this thread was about autos.

Agreed Pete but what can you add to what has already been said about autos. Just showing how easy manuals can be. Just diversifying.

I think a few people may find the link interesting!

Possibly so. But, as much as that one is virtually the same as a car, why not just learn on an auto and take job out of the equation? Or, if wanting to learn how to use a truck manual box, use one that’s different to a car.

Just my take on it.

I got in one auto and had to ask how to get reverse - turned out both buttons on each side of the selector had to be pressed in at the same time - but how was I to know?

I would sooner drive a manual as you tend to get a better feel of the vehicle. As for my business I will have to wait and see where the demand will be to see if I change to auto.

Peter Smythe:
why not just learn on an auto and take job out of the equation?

Lol what’s to learn turn a knob, foot down steer?

I’m sure you realise there’s rather more to it than that!