'attitude' towards younger drivers

A little fed up how some older drivers treat us younger ones.

Im 28 now but still get it. As an example recently i was in another guys truck when he had a week off. When he came back he had a moan about the mess id made in his cab. I didn’t think id made a mess but let it pass anyway. Then he had my truck for a few days and left a half bag of crisps in the door pocket and empty water bottle. Hypocrite.

I know how you feel mate, I very rarely come across it but you pull into some places and you will see the group of vest wearing arse scratchers, they will nudge one and other and stare as you pull the awkward manoeuvre, in the normal world someone will watch you in, you thank them get on with it. But not these guys, instead you get the ," lost your driver son" or " I’ve been driving longer then you have been alive I know it all and you will never be on my level"

These are the guys that usually have an attitude problem towards equally senior and experienced drivers so it doesn’t really bother me, plus give it a few years and I will potentially have there job when there retired off

It doesn’t happen that often, just winds me up :laughing:
I doubt most of the ones that look down on us would dare talk to someone their age in the same way.

i had an older guy tell me he had “done more miles in reverse than ive done forward”. i asked him if that “was because he wasnt very good at reversing and had to make a few attempts at it?” He didnt see the funny side and told me i had misunderstood his statement. To which he was then asked “so you get lost alot and have to reverse back to get on route?” i said it with enough of a smile that the other guys standing around had a snigger at the smart arses expense.

I try my hardest to be a nice chap, and get a long with people as it makes life a lot easier but there are some people so far up their own arses its not worth the hassle.

I like giving sarcasm to the ones with attitude, can tell it gets on their nerves but they do deserve it sometimes and the look of surprise on their face can be amusing as they clearly don’t expect it lol

dont let them get to you,its non hgv drivers who are the worst,who watch you reverse into some very awkward
tight spot,who will then give you a sarky comment,usal comment is what kind of hgv driver are you,my reply is
a bad one :smiley:
or i hand them the keys to my truck and say you do it then,they always bottle it,no matter what proffesion
you do there are always some people who will be-little you just ignore them

mister-t:
dont let them get to you,its non hgv drivers who are the worst,who watch you reverse into some very awkward
tight spot,who will then give you a sarky comment,usal comment is what kind of hgv driver are you,my reply is
a bad one :smiley:
or i hand them the keys to my truck and say you do it then,they always bottle it,no matter what proffesion
you do there are always some people who will be-little you just ignore them

too true pal if ever get any grief i simple smile walk past n say something in a sort of mumble n when said smart arse asks what i said i simply turn round n say if u put your earin aid in ud have heard my u old ■■■■■■ dinosaur dont get me wrong im very respectfull to my elders etc as i was brought up that way but wont stand anyones crap especialy if someone feels they have the right cos there older than me :smiling_imp:

Passed my class one at 26 so I had it all the time, not much of it was spiteful though. More trying to tell me what to do and how to reverse etc, same blokes would then drop a trailer without dropping the suspension and end up ■■■■■■■ up the trailer legs :unamused:
Went on an agency job once to pick some motor homes up, all middle aged to late 50’s and while standing around at the services they were asking me about life as a class one driver is like etc and the senior member(as he thought) said to me ‘when you’ve moved a few I’ll let you have a go in the big ones’ :unamused: I said I’m happy with what I’m given size don’t matter to me I normally drive an artic which he knew but wouldn’t accept :unamused: just completely ignored me and said ‘well these things are expensive so you won’t be let loose with a big one till you’re seen to drive the small ones well’ :open_mouth: I said I’m back on artic tomorrow as I was on this job as a favour so he not be seeing me again. What a nob, thought he was something special for driving a big motor home and completely dismissed me :laughing:

Im 54. And we were all young once :smiley: i always try and help other drivers whether they are young or old. Sometime drivers will have a go at each other whether they are young or old. I have had abuse from young and old drivers, but i just stand my ground and get on with it. :smiley:

slightly off topic, but here’s what happened.

Im driving a bus (legally 70mph on motorway but the buss limited to 62mph), i am entering the slip road to join the traffic on the motorway, a Sainsbury driver pulled over to let me join. i knew i was a lot faster than him, but i was always told to let him by and pull in, as he pulled over for me so let him finish his manouvre. I do this all the time, but today was the first time a driver acknowledge that i done it. Most of the time drivers give you a funny look as if to say ‘what was the point in that’

so what is the drivers etiquette to this situation? should i just floor it on slip road if someone pulls over to let me in, or do i let them go by before pulling over. :question:

sorry, meant to say, it was a pretty young guy who gave me the wave on the passing thats what brought that up.

Mrknowitall:
Im 54. And we were all young once :smiley: i always try and help other drivers whether they are young or old. Sometime drivers will have a go at each other whether they are young or old. I have had abuse from young and old drivers, but i just stand my ground and get on with it. :smiley:

Good speech MrKnowitall…When I was 21 I looked about 15…Often forkies looked past me and asked “where is your dad?” I only took serious ■■■ once and I nipped it in the bud there and then. Funny though, first time on the stairs in Dover customs (as a van driver) in 76, I had nothing but helpful advice from older drivers when I asked for directions to Orly, Paris.
And one of them old fellas is still on TNUK today!

Sometimes is good that you don’t give an ear to such incidents, coz they are the ones with pretty much experience, so its obvious to have a superiority complex in them, I mean its natural so better just ignore it. :sunglasses:

When I was in the yard with my dad before he had his second operation, he was in the office and he had me clean out his lorry as per :laughing:
Because I look older then I actually am, I was asked where I was going on the Monday :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I just said I was off to college on Monday :grimacing: Made me feel good though :slight_smile: You’ll always get the miserable sod on the road young or old but there not all the same :smiley: :smiley:

A bit of a coincidence, If I can get my license sorted and start my HGV Training next year I will be starting up the same year my Granddad retires :open_mouth: :open_mouth: So it is literally nearly like 1 driver out and 1 in :laughing: :laughing:

Just take the ‘attitude’ with a pinch of salt and if you can make them look stupid then do it. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Just to add, when i was young i used to get the same from older people. Its a genaration thing and dont forget you will get older as well and you may find yourself acting in that manner? So try not to be to judgemental. Lol.

Every firm has its, “I’ve done more miles in reverse blah blah” merchants. I had one tell me, a few years ago, “I’ve been doing this for ■■■■■■■ 30 years, don’t try and tell me,” so I said to him, “Well who says you’ve been doing it right for 30 years then?” I had another one of these old fellas embarrass himself one day when I was struggling to get under a trailer that had been dropped too low for my unit. It was loaded and I had to get out, put the landing legs on low gear and lift it a few inches. he called a few lads over saying, “Watch this, he’s only going to try and wind the legs down on a loaded trailer.” He didn’t know that there was high and low gears on the landing legs, the look on his face when the “young pup” explained to him about the landing legs was too good.

He still hasn’t spoken to me since :unamused:

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t listen to advice, some advice is good, some is bad, its what you do with it that counts. If someone is good enough to try and help me out then i’ll listen, I don’t know everything and I still learn every day. I’ve also tried to help younger lads along the way, but I try not to do it in a patronising way. Nobody knows everything, some think they do and the best piece of advice I was ever given was, “You’ve got eyes, ears and mouth, use them in that order.”

To be honest, i’ve noticed however, that the attitude of some of the younger lads leaves a bit to be desired. Some of them come across bordering on rude at our place, you can’t show them anything that they don’t already know and I think this probably only serves to make older drivers less inclined to help anyway.

i agree with mrhappy with this you are always going to get the " look at me " merchants at any firm . i still get it now sometimes and i’ve been driving 25 years but because i don’t look my age they assume , wrongly , that i must be a newby … let them get on with it and make themselves look foolish .

infact just to add i get the same treatment from my current bosses son , he’s in his early 20’s and cant even drive them but he knows it all , we went through the same thing with him telling drivers how the job should be done , he usually makes a prat of himself and he wonders why drivers wont stick round for long , let them get on with it … water off a ducks back to me i’ve heard it all before …

Only people with implied rights or car only license’s that have a chip on their shouldlers.

couldn agree more mr happy if someone if offerin advice then by all means take it on u dont have to accept it or even follow it we all need help time to time fact is without the help of some of the more expereinced lads id have found myself in a world of turd :smiley: havin said that u should never stand for someone riddiculing you just cos ur new to the job or a bit younger than the rest of the lads n lasses

cliffton 27:
couldn agree more mr happy if someone if offerin advice then by all means take it on u dont have to accept it or even follow it we all need help time to time fact is without the help of some of the more expereinced lads id have found myself in a world of turd :smiley: havin said that u should never stand for someone riddiculing you just cos ur new to the job or a bit younger than the rest of the lads n lasses

I always listen and ask the other drivers for help in the yard if i need it, bullocks to learning the hard way if i dont have to, cant be arsed to bend the lorry because i didn’t bother to ask.