Asten

Sat here using their free wifi waiting for me dinner.

I have to say I preferred it before they enlarged the lorry park. Now the restaurant is so busy they can’t cope. However just finished me goulash soup and it was awesome as ever.

I haven’t been there for ages, since they started enlarging their lorry park.

It’s just the same Simon but a lot busier. Having said that the new lorry park at the back is going to be charged as of this weekend. I think it’s going to be 50c per hr after 2 hrs so not too bad. But it should quiten down a bit after that I reckon.

Driving past there on Monday morning, I noticed there was a new ‘secure lorry park’ sign and the new bit is all fenced off.

God, I dream of going to Asten again, I’m getting a bit fed up with this A303 now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
God, I dream of going to Asten again, I’m getting a bit fed up with this A303 now! :stuck_out_tongue:

I do the 303 Regular as clockwork too. It does get tedious after a while . Better than the m4 though.
Asten ain’t changed one bit. Well apart from the lorry park that is.

They do a great buffet breakfast and very reasonable.

I have passed that place a lots and parking area seem always full up! - its popular place for Brits, Irish and Greeks! myself never stop there,

Is food meal price reasonable or expensive?

Sound good to me “Breakfast Buffet” how much cost?

Thanks

keep me a space ill be in tomorrow on my way to Hellmond NL i think breakfast is about €8

Food is expensive but very good.

It used to be a smashing place, not been there for donkeys years though.

fly sheet:
It used to be a smashing place, not been there for donkeys years though.

Same here.Always tried my best to stop there.Delicious food and huge portions.Showers squeaky clean,as were the toilets and washroom.Was a bit of a no-no on a Saturday though as Oad Reizen coaches used to pick up passengers there and had a good bit of the parking section coned off.
Bit of a bugger in warm weather with sunroof open though -the mozzies were rife by that river

Sat in Asten now, free wifi and watching darts on the box.
Food still good, just had the stewed steak or could it be horse meat :stuck_out_tongue: , very good whatever it was and plenty of it.
Not the cheapest place especially the big beers at 4.10 euros but cant be a cab rat all weekend :unamused:

Part of the parking

Asten is’nt Asten if there is’nt a White’s motor there!

There is also a very good lorry wash next to the Shell garage (where you can get the vignette) and a brilliant little truck shop for all your truck tat (but it’s a lot better tat than British tat)

Is that a John Raymond “rockwool” trailer down the far end in the second pic?

kjw21:
Is that a John Raymond “rockwool” trailer down the far end in the second pic?

It’s Defo a rock wool trailer but I doubt it’s John Raymond’s.

I was in Asten last night. I asked the girl who was serving my food what the score was with the free parking. She said the government want all trucks parking in recognised areas (not industrial estates)… They have done a deal to extend the Park which cost over €1 million. The government paid for it on the understanding it would be free for so long. The large ex customs park at the Dutch belgian border is also being improved. There’s a large free park near the truckstop at venlo and also a new one near the belgian border.
If the benelux countries recognise the need for parking to increase, why are we… The British… Still stuck in the dark ages with our heads in the sand! (don’t tell me I already know. Lol)

The UK needs a multi millionaire to buy out the old fashioned cafes and truckstops,flatten them all and replace it with one brand, the parking would be free if you buy a drivers meal, paying to park in the Uk should be banned.
For a fixed price you get a choice of starters, soup/salad, main courses, then pudding with a coffee.
When buying fuel you get some money off the meal, or a free shower with 150 0r 200 litres, like Kontixa at Sunbilla used to do.

JB:
I was in Asten last night. I asked the girl who was serving my food what the score was with the free parking. She said the government want all trucks parking in recognised areas (not industrial estates)… They have done a deal to extend the Park which cost over €1 million. The government paid for it on the understanding it would be free for so long. The large ex customs park at the Dutch belgian border is also being improved. There’s a large free park near the truckstop at venlo and also a new one near the belgian border.
If the benelux countries recognise the need for parking to increase, why are we… The British… Still stuck in the dark ages with our heads in the sand! (don’t tell me I already know. Lol)

Yeah saw on Venlo motorway - some new sign mention “FREE PARKING NO - €”
its more suitable for Eastern European drivers can understood what is the sign meaning :smiley:

Wot a pleasure to stay at a nice clean truckstop
Showers are excellent
Food wot more can i say/Good choice served by very freindly staff who all speak English .
Been stopping at Asten for many years weekended and just odd nights.
I was parked with a mate of mine last summer there when it was very hot, sat out side having a nice cool beer, no hassle like i sed good food WHERE CAN YOU DO THAT IN THE UK .
and if you fancy a walk you can go down to the town .It has many good bars restraunts shops barbers etc
Much betta than the Texaco at Venlo
And as for paying to park wots the problem i dont want to spend my time off on an industrial estate.