Assessment drives with potential employers

I think it’s safe to post without being told I must be an idiot or I’d be better off cleaning toilets or indeed that my dad doesn’t like me. :smiley:

How have people found going to potential employers for assessment drives? Do the nerves kick in like the driving test or are they more relaxed?

I would like to know what the average length of time the assessment lasts but I’m guessing that’s a “how longs a piece of string” question.

Assessors are not looking for a test drive but a competent safe drive

A couple of hours total including a test on the regs & HC is probably about right if unpaid

All day unpaid assessment = BIG NO NO = taking the pee

I do our class 1 assessments, we have a check sheet that I put comments on. I am looking for someone who can drive sensibly, keep off the kerbs, reasonable speed approaching roundabouts & whilst on them, mirrors, signals, general courtesy to other motorists, reversing, drop & hook up to a trailer & finally, would I be happy to let you loose in my Tractor. I often have to remind potential job applicants to do their walk round checks after inserting the digi card. I’ll also ask a couple of questions about drivers hours & maybe speed limits & a quick eyesight test, just to make sure they’re not Winging It.

We took a newly qualified driver on last week, Class 2 (ex Bus Driver) & he has been out with someone for the last few days, learning the process & learning about load restraining, he’s doing ok & will be let loose soon.

Usually takes between 1-2 hours.

I’ve only ever stopped one assessment, but I do put comments on the form if I’m not too happy with anything & leave it for Management to make any final decisions.

Some of the Big Boys have a questionnaire, with Hours, Regulations & Traffic Law/Highway Code, so it’s no good thinking you can con them into getting a position.
Know your Stuff.

martinviking:
I often have to remind potential job applicants to do their walk round checks after inserting the digi card

Are you serious…I got flipped off from an assessment coz I intending on doing the checks… Guy handed me the keys and said " lets got " which I promptly replied " we aint going nowhere until I’ve checked the truck, which got told " its been checked already " not by me it hadn’t

thus that’s where it all ended…Was I bothered… not really, just showed what sort of company they where… slap dash

It’s basically there to make sure you aren’t going to drive their big billboard like a loon!

Swampey2418:

martinviking:
I often have to remind potential job applicants to do their walk round checks after inserting the digi card

Are you serious…I got flipped off from an assessment coz I intending on doing the checks… Guy handed me the keys and said " lets got " which I promptly replied " we aint going nowhere until I’ve checked the truck, which got told " its been checked already " not by me it hadn’t

thus that’s where it all ended…Was I bothered… not really, just showed what sort of company they where… slap dash

Bet your happy that it didn’t go any further, I wouldn’t last long with a company that behaved like that, Cowboys comes to mind. The company that I work for could do a lot more to make sure that the drivers are up to a decent standard, but at least they leave me alone when I’m assessing anyone.

I still don’t see why they need to put digicard in for an assessment.

Your not working for them nor being paid so why have card in?

If someone’s looking to move from current employer then maybe they don’t want them to know just yet, I know I wouldn’t until job was firmly offered.

Why have the attitude change towards you just because they’ve seen your cards been in another vehicle and know your looking elsewhere?

Thanks for the replies folks. Apreciate it.

Moonpigdan:

Was it a bonus that i didn’t say anything Dan? :open_mouth:

I’ve sort of got an assessment drive on Saturday mate. But still working out the details, so not 100% confirmed yet. (Agency bollox)
It’s with P&H in Fareham.

The assessment is me doing a days work with the driver, and getting paid full money for it. :grimacing:
And as you’re being nosey; it’s about £13.50 (Saturday rate), but the exact figure in pennies escapes me…
I’m told we will share the driving, and share the work, so probably not too bad.
So if I don’t completely ■■■■ it up, I should be OK to get more work…

Not my dream job, but it’s all about getting experience at the moment! :smiley:
The agency bloke said he had an ADR client in Andover who needed a driver, but my ZERO experience was an issue! :cry:
But that’s fair comment, and Andover is a bit further than i want to travel…

Evil8Beezle:

Moonpigdan:

Was it a bonus that i didn’t say anything Dan? :open_mouth:

I’ve sort of got an assessment drive on Saturday mate. But still working out the details, so not 100% confirmed yet. (Agency bollox)
It’s with P&H in Fareham.

The assessment is me doing a days work with the driver, and getting paid full money for it. :grimacing:
And as you’re being nosey; it’s about £13.50 (Saturday rate), but the exact figure in pennies escapes me…
I’m told we will share the driving, and share the work, so probably not too bad.
So if I don’t completely ■■■■ it up, I should be OK to get more work…

Not my dream job, but it’s all about getting experience at the moment! :smiley:
The agency bloke said he had an ADR client in Andover who needed a driver, but my ZERO experience was an issue! :cry:

Sounds good Mr evil. I like the idea of spending a day with another driver rather than someone just assessing you for an hour or so.

Good luck for Saturday mate

Unfortunately I can’t look for work until the back end of 2016 so although I’m rather envious reading other newbies getting jobs I know my time’l come :smiley:

Cheers pal,

I’ll be about to report my experience at some point! :smiley:

martinviking:

Swampey2418:

martinviking:

Bet your happy that it didn’t go any further, I wouldn’t last long with a company that behaved like that, Cowboys comes to mind. The company that I work for could do a lot more to make sure that the drivers are up to a decent standard, but at least they leave me alone when I’m assessing anyone.

Well you know the saying…Elvis has left the building…I soon made legs out of there…

Moonpigdan:
I’ve sort of got an assessment drive on Saturday mate. But still working out the details, so not 100% confirmed yet. (Agency bollox)It’s with P&H in Fareham.

Hope you pull it off Evil… and that you’ve been working out…that’s a long day ■■■■■■■ a swag doing that sort of work… Not to say I’m scared of hard work but at my time of life …leave it to the youngsters :grimacing:

LOL, thanks pal. I know i’m in for an easy time, but you gotta get experience somewhere…

Luckily for me I’m reasonably fit, 6’5" and 16 stone.

So being that fat and heavy, I should be able to boss those cages about! :smiley:

I just got a new job today and had to have a assessment drive.

The driver assessors (in my experience) usually account for your nerves playing up and put you at ease.

The driver assessor today spent most of his time talking about prostitutes in Germany and Border Collies. Haha.

Just remember your training and when doing the vehicle checks, don’t forget to get him to check your brake light! :blush:

Evil8Beezle:
LOL, thanks pal. I know i’m in for an easy time, but you gotta get experience somewhere…

Luckily for me I’m reasonably fit, 6’5" and 16 stone.

So being that fat and heavy, I should be able to boss those cages about! :smiley:

Well at least its not everything on pallets, handballing them on to a sack truck and dragging it into a business…Just clarify when you’ve completed the delivery…

One job I went for was like this, deliver it, check it… let them check it… then put it in there stores… i.e. down in a cellar or up two flights of stairs…

[/quote]
[/quote]
Mmmm that’s my area keep your grubby hands off :stuck_out_tongue: ADR near to me hey hey might be doing mine sooner then I think then :stuck_out_tongue:

Endgame:
I just got a new job today and had to have a assessment drive.

The driver assessors (in my experience) usually account for your nerves playing up and put you at ease.

The driver assessor today spent most of his time talking about prostitutes in Germany and Border Collies. Haha.

Just remember your training and when doing the vehicle checks, don’t forget to get him to check your brake light! :blush:

nice one end game who is the potential employer? can you elaborate on what was included in your assessment drive would be nice to hear what you did wheat is expected of you ect :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have just done an assessment for Royal Mail yesterday (through agency Manpower).

They kept me a total of 3 hours, 1 hour was taken by the assessor taking my details, checking my licence online, sorting out a truck for us, a very short induction to Royal Mail work and a multiple choice ‘test’ (easy I have to say)

when we went out the assessment was basically:

doing my vehicle checks

driving around the depot with no trailer for a very short time just to see how it is (it’s a big one)

coupling up a trailer (including my trailer checks)

doing a reverse onto a loading bay

going out on the road (so following assessors directions)

we stopped at another depot to see how it is (it has a tricky u-turn/reverse to it but assessor told me how to approach it)

more ‘on the road’

back to depot and another reverse onto a loading bay

uncoupling trailer

taking truck to a ■■■■■■■■■■■■

‘de-brief’ about how I’ve done (mainly all really good, just ‘one slip-up’ but he said this would not stop him from giving me ‘the job’)

This assessor was ‘really’ good, he told me he wanted me to relax, drive like I normally do, I asked him ‘will you mark me down if I cross my arms when I steer?’ he said ‘nah, don’t worry about that, drive like you normally do’ :grimacing:

he was very good at how he talked and his choices of words and whatever he said he made it sound positive, even when he told me what I did wrong :smiley:

I don’t know if all assessors are like that, but he was certainly aware that nerves play a role and he was good at making me ‘chill/relax’.

I really enjoyed the assessment I’d do one every day if they are all like that :smiley:

It’s with Currie European, Ash. Despite the name, I’m not doing Euro work, I’m sticking with 4 on 4 off UK tramping. Trying to tone down my hours due to family commitments, so 4 on 4 off seemed like a good call. Start next Monday.

The assessment involves vehicle checks, couple and un-couple, reverse onto a loading bay and about an half hour drive. Pretty standard stuff really. They give you time to familiarize yourself with the vehicle before the assessment officially starts.

Stick to your training and remember you’re not on a test. Try to relax and just get the assessor talking.

Endgame:
It’s with Currie European, Ash. Despite the name, I’m not doing Euro work, I’m sticking with 4 on 4 off UK tramping. Trying to tone down my hours due to family commitments, so 4 on 4 off seemed like a good call. Start next Monday.

The assessment involves vehicle checks, couple and un-couple, reverse onto a loading bay and about an half hour drive. Pretty standard stuff really. They give you time to familiarize yourself with the vehicle before the assessment officially starts.

Stick to your training and remember you’re not on a test. Try to relax and just get the assessor talking.

this is something I might look into (the 4 on 4 off job)

get back and let us know how you like working for them will you? :slight_smile: