Assessment drive while working for another company

Right guys post from a newbie here, beware :grimacing:

So I am looking at moving jobs, I have put in a couple of applications today. What if I get offered an assessment drive, how do people manage this without breaking there weekly rest ect. Obviously when your company download your card they will also know you are looking elsewhere. Has anyone else had this problem and are there any actual solutions apart from booking a days holiday!

Maybe pretend you’re a mechanic and taking it on a test drive, do they need a driver card ?

Why does it matter that your current employer knows that you’re looking elsewhere? It might just get them to look at your wages/contract and see if there’s any room for improvement…

Obviously, as a professional driver you will ensure that any in-scope driving you do fits in with the legal requirements regarding Rest etc - Won’t you?

I’m having the same issue mate.

ROG worked it out that I have two windows of an hour and a half and they probably won’t suit for assessments and getting me to work.

raymundo:
Maybe pretend you’re a mechanic and taking it on a test drive, do they need a driver card ?

That wont work I am afraid mate all driver assessments require a driver card unfortunately, unless the company is dodgy as â– â– â– â– ! lol

H4L:
I’m having the same issue mate.

ROG worked it out that I have two windows of an hour and a half and they probably won’t suit for assessments and getting me to work.

Yes you don’t have much time at all, I guess you can book a day off and that’s it. But can’t go sick due to them reading your card lmao, even though my company have not downloaded my card in 20 days! I am guessing its the companies responsibility not mine?

Roymondo:
Why does it matter that your current employer knows that you’re looking elsewhere? It might just get them to look at your wages/contract and see if there’s any room for improvement…

I suppose it doesn’t matter they know I am looking else where, all the drivers hate it there and I don’t know why none of them are getting off there arse’s and applying else where, there is plenty of jobs out there. I know about rest periods ect but this gives you ■■■■ a limited window for assessment drives its unreal, but do potential employers understand this?

Obviously, as a professional driver you will ensure that any in-scope driving you do fits in with the legal requirements regarding Rest etc - Won’t you?

I ended up doing mine by taking holiday from current job, either that or go sick? :laughing:

I asked our union rep about this and even about working for another company at weekends. He said it’s your card and you can do what you want with it so long as it doesn’t impact on their operations.

Think you’ll find it’s your responsibilty to download your own card…They supply the equipment…Although it is there responsability to download the Tacho head in the truck

daftvader:
Think you’ll find it’s your responsibilty to download your own card…They supply the equipment…Although it is there responsability to download the Tacho head in the truck

No, it is your responsibility to make your card available for download.

shippy95:
I ended up doing mine by taking holiday from current job, either that or go sick? :laughing:

I think I will take holiday if it comes to it, as going sick they can see I have used my card elsewhere on that day :frowning:

Terry T:
I asked our union rep about this and even about working for another company at weekends. He said it’s your card and you can do what you want with it so long as it doesn’t impact on their operations.

I understand that, but its keeping inline with the driving law with your rest periods ect making it difficult to look else where.

daftvader:

I was not aware of this as no one has told me at all, I guess I best get it downloaded when I go in to work Thursday then lol

Roymondo:

daftvader:

No, it is your responsibility to make your card available for download.

My card is obviously always available but no one has requested to download it?

daftvader:

nope its upto them to download the card ALL you have to do is make the card available

Oh ok…We have to download ours everytime we are at one of our depots…And regardless if anyone is there…Machines are available for us to do this…

so if I its not downloaded in 28 days that’s nothing against me, back on topic assessment drives are a tough one to do without mucking up your rest periods

ash 001:
so if I its not downloaded in 28 days that’s nothing against me, back on topic assessment drives are a tough one to do without mucking up your rest periods

It’s only as tough as you let it be Ash. Your digi card belongs to you, not your company. I wouldn’t do an assessment on my normal rest day, I’d take a day off specially to do it, and I wouldn’t do an assessment unless I was serious about jumping ship. Sometimes your present Co seeing the information when they download your card can force their hand, either you’re out or they’ll make it worth your while to stay.

None of us are bondsmen, it’s your labour, where you provide it is up to you.

Good luck anyway.

20 days? :open_mouth: I didn’t think you’d been driving a truck that long? It is a real truck isn’t it? :wink:

As i know your situation mate, i’ll fill in a bit of info for the guys/girls, that you left out! :smiley:
Ash will not stay at this job no matter what the money, and he took it, or rather committed to it before passing his Class 1.
So Ash is currently at a Class 2 only firm, that’s hard work!
He is itching to get a taste of class 1, although still happy to serve his class 2 apprenticeship with a firm first.

But that still doesn’t help how you fit it in an assessment drive, and I’d say rollox to your current employer and not dig a crap what they think, as I think it’s starting to change to a drivers market now.

But as I’m also a Newbie, who is also AGENCY, my opinion counts for diddly squat! :laughing:

haha is it 20 driving days or 20 actual days? Its a toy truck you know that :wink: apprenticeship? No just experience lol
And indeed its just fitting in the assessment drive in with driving laws, and yes you agency noob, I need to speak to you.

ash 001:
haha is it 20 driving days or 20 actual days? Its a toy truck you know that :wink: apprenticeship? No just experience lol
And indeed its just fitting in the assessment drive in with driving laws, and yes you agency noob, I need to speak to you.

Well the man in the toy van told me! :smiley:

Ok ladies lets not put the cart before the horse, let’s get an interview first, then worry about the assessment drive, after all not every company does them. If you do get that far then let them know when your available and see if it fits in with them. As for your current company so what, if your bothered about them, unlikely as you’re trying to leave, then tell them you’re going for an assessment for a class 1 job, simple.
As for downloading your card, technically you only have to make it available, you do so every time you’re at work, but I’ve never been asked for it to download, has anyone? Just keep yourself right & download it at regular intervals, we do it every week, it keeps it nice & simple.

I know I know, I just wanted to be prepared for the situation if you see what I mean. Well if I have to I will be telling them I am having a day off unpaid for an assessment drive. As for them knowing I am going on one like you said I don’t actually care if they know. It is always available but I have never been asked but I will ask them if they want to do it when I am next in. evil I am not that dumb to get tied in to an apprenticeship you know me :stuck_out_tongue:

ash 001:
I know I know, I just wanted to be prepared for the situation if you see what I mean. Well if I have to I will be telling them I am having a day off unpaid for an assessment drive. As for them knowing I am going on one like you said I don’t actually care if they know. It is always available but I have never been asked but I will ask them if they want to do it when I am next in. evil I am not that dumb to get tied in to an apprenticeship you know me :stuck_out_tongue:

I was speaking metaphorically mate. Earn your stripes and all that! :smiley:

How many jobs you going to apply for? In for a penny and all that! :wink: