Asda buy out.

Oh well looks like I’ll be delivering to convenience stores and garage forecourts before long :cry: bbc.co.uk/news/business-54383131

When I first…

Started all those decades ago (sigh) I did P&H drops to petrol stations and small shops.

Every single item, sack trucked off the tail-lift, carted into the store/forecourt and then every item checked off and empty cages returned.

I hated it.

Just sayin’ like. :smiley:

£ 6.8 billion is not loose change from down the back of the sofa - Financial sites don’t say how it will be funded but cost cutting is to be expected - As per ----- 5,200 garages though will need sandwiches delivering —

Wonder if there stop selling booze in asda then

As I know eurogarges don’t sell.anykind off alcohol .

Rumours once were that there religion doesn’t consume alcohol .
So they won’t selll.it as it’s against there believes

Bought for 6.7 in 1999, sold for 6.8 billions in 2020, not sure if it’s a good deal, considering most likely investment during all these years, looks more like getting rid of it. Not sure if it’s good for Asda, time will show…

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

edd1974:

I don’t believe that mate, you can buy bacon, ham etc in there garages. Never enquired about exploding vests though!

milesahead:
Bought for 6.7 in 1999, sold for 6.8 billions in 2020, not sure if it’s a good deal, considering most likely investment during all these years, looks more like getting rid of it. Not sure if it’s good for Asda, time will show…

Most likely that Walmart were looking to release capital ■■■■■■■ in Asda, especially after the failed Sainsbury merger. Walmart need the cash back in the bank. Pay off debt - Tough times ahead around the world.

Too much profit in selling alcohol to stop. See the price of a bottle of 2010 Chateau Lafitte in the UK now !

Added - The Financial times says the deal will be financed using a £4 Billion debt package comprising high - yield bonds and leveraged bonds - Welcome back to the Greed is good era -

I don’t think it can be too bad for Asda and its employees. As it stands the Americans will turn up at Head Office unanounced and call 50% of a department in and basically say here is your notice, this is what we will pay you, clear your desk. So it isn’t all here to help and free lunches.

The CEO and management team are staying in place so its not going to be wholescale changes and the strategy of boosting online sales isn’t going to radically change.

The two Asian fellas only own 50% of euro garages. The investment company that own the other 50% are in with them on the Asda deal and surely have to be putting in more than 50% of the cash.

They have bought a majority stake between them so 50%, the two brothers might have 15-20% between them if they are lucky, and Walmart are retaining a decent chunk. So I think ideas of them removing bacon and alcohol are a little farfetched, business as usual more likely, with possibly a different strategic input and different people pocketing the profits.

Oh sorry whats come over me, my Tom Tom trucker (brain) has broke whats the best cheap alternative?

Asda bought by billionaire Issa brothers in £6.8bn deal bbc.co.uk/news/business-54383131

Well, however they managed it those Issa brothers have done well, from modest beginnings to serious business interests.

Doubt there’ll be massive changes, if it’s making a profit they ain’t going to fix what isn’t broke.

OwenMoney:
Added - The Financial times says the deal will be financed using a £4 Billion debt package comprising high - yield bonds and leveraged bonds - Welcome back to the Greed is good era -

Juddian:
Well, however they managed it those Issa brothers have done well, from modest beginnings to serious business interests.

Doubt there’ll be massive changes, if it’s making a profit they ain’t going to fix what isn’t broke.

That is a massive amount of debt that the Issa brothers and their investment vehicle are taking on . Investors taking the rest. Walmart still holding a percentage. Repaid usually by nailing the suppliers or the employees to the wall. £4 Billion means selling a lot of sandwiches.
Depends on the rate of the bonds and the maturity.

Jimmy McNulty:
Oh sorry whats come over me, my Tom Tom trucker (brain) has broke whats the best cheap alternative?

That’s it, let’s not drift away, this is more appropriate topic.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

Most of the EG are spar shops, Asda I don’t think have garage type shops like Tesco etc, so there’s a new opening, most of the staff are bruveers, as are management, So EG garages might be re branded Asda,… The consolidation that Asda use for produce and frozen could get interesting, I bet supplier’s are twitching at moment. Time will tell.

Quote from BBC news website

“The firm has about £9 of debt for every £1 of cash earnings, says Azhar Hussain, head of global credit at Royal London Asset Management. Most companies would have £3-6 of debt for each pound earned before eyebrows are raised and questions are asked about repayment, he said.”

So it could all end in tears a few years down the line.

Don’t overlook the obvious:
Sainsbury’s to Issa would involve loads of money.
Asda to Issa is only a couple of letters, innit!

bald bloke:
Oh well looks like I’ll be delivering to convenience stores and garage forecourts before long :cry: bbc.co.uk/news/business-54383131

Just thank your lucky stars that it wasnt Rob Templeman & his merry band of thieves who got hold of the business, Ive dealt with this ■■■■ in another life, he`s not someone you would buy a pint :unamused:

They would have stripped the business bare, just like a well known department store they wrecked in the mid-2000s… :imp:

edd1974:
Wonder if there stop selling booze in asda then

As I know eurogarges don’t sell.anykind off alcohol .

TDR own Pizza Hut, Stonegate Pub Company IMO Car Wash, Buffalo Grill, David Lloyd Leisure and Euro Garage so its a massive investment company which will fit in with the business, swap Spar for Asda forecourt stores and you have another 5900 sites

I imagine the Spar/Subway/Domino’s are all franchises and as such the switch to Asda branding at EG might require some legal footwork.
I believe other supermarkets have been trialing opening stores at EG so would think Asda would take any new opportunities.

Ironically my local large Asda superstores fuel station is totally unmanned, card only payments at the pump.

Sixties boy:
I imagine the Spar/Subway/Domino’s are all franchises and as such the switch to Asda branding at EG might require some legal footwork.
I believe other supermarkets have been trialing opening stores at EG so would think Asda would take any new opportunities.

Ironically my local large Asda superstores fuel station is totally unmanned, card only payments at the pump.

Same at our local Asda fuel station, unmanned, though i believe this was at least partly due to a nasty raid by criminals.

Sadly going the same way with almost all tills unmanned in the supermarket itself, which is why i never shop at the place, and have no wish to be ordered around by a modern day Warden Hodges stomping about barking dire covid scam warnings of doom.

James Hall Spar must be a bit worried, pretty much all EuroGarages I have seen have a Spar shop. Seems inevitable that the owners will try and bring Asda into the convenience store market through their garages & service stations.

ASDA drivers watch out, rigids with tail lifts coming your way :laughing: