Artics pulling caravans

over the last few years i have seen a few 40ft artics that look like fair ground rides pulling caravans behind them and in a few cases pulling what looks like a draw bar trailer, two thins here, first of all they must be well over the maximum length and there are never any warning plates or anything to suggest its a special order job and second i though you are only alowed one point of articulation in the UK for genrall stuff anyway, so are these outfits legal? and if not how do they get away wtih it?

Also see a few farm tractors with two trailer on but can understand that on back roads they get away wtih it

Showmen are exempt from some rules. Vehicle length being one of them.

What I can understand off a fair owner friend
They can pull up to 90ft…

Iv seen a circus year or so ago pulling a big top trailer with is a artic trailer “I think” then was a draw bar behide that if my mind serve me right… When I saw it was like :open_mouth:

Bloody hell, how do they justify that one, some very poorly maintained motors, presumably with no o licence and possibly tacho exempt■■?
pulling multible trailers and twice the normall length do they still have to stick to 44 tonnes gross?

AHT:
over the last few years i have seen a few 40ft artics that look like fair ground rides pulling caravans behind them and in a few cases pulling what looks like a draw bar trailer, two thins here, first of all they must be well over the maximum length and there are never any warning plates or anything to suggest its a special order job and second i though you are only alowed one point of articulation in the UK for genrall stuff anyway, so are these outfits legal? and if not how do they get away wtih it?

Also see a few farm tractors with two trailer on but can understand that on back roads they get away wtih it

Perfectly legal, showman are exempt from most rules, dont even have to have MOTs but their motors are kept to very high standards. Most of there stuff they build themselfs, i.e they’ll stretch an ec11, then double drive it with different axles etc. All their stuff is quite low weight just bulky. I think they do have a length limit of about 25ms but they dont worry about that.

Not sure about the weight issue but I can’t imagine the combination would exceed 44t anyway.

damoq:

correct and i am not to sure if they don’t even require a c+e either seem to remember something like that :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: in the back of my mind :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

AHT:
Bloody hell, how do they justify that one, some very poorly maintained motors, presumably with no o licence and possibly tacho exempt■■?
pulling multible trailers and twice the normall length do they still have to stick to 44 tonnes gross?

It’s justified partly by reason of tradition, but secondly because they travel at low speeds. And because they are operated by “■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■” :wink:

I cannot imagine any truck and fairground ride combo which would come anywhere near grossing 44 tonnes.

AHT:

They dont need an o license or a tacho, their motors are far better looked after than the new truck you drive i can asure you.

Here one I saw onces

lorryspotting.com/newsArticl … 1123960304

Nice 100ton crane on her :smiley:

This might help.
showmensguild.com/transport.htm

AHT:

i wouldn’t worry your poor brain about it, can’t ever remember seeing one broken down, always looked after and up together,if it don’t effect you whats the problem :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Legend_Scania:
Here one I saw onces

lorryspotting.com/newsArticl … 1123960304

Nice 100ton crane on her :smiley:

There was a program on C5 recently about the fairground and the ride that this pulls and assembles is collosal, I think it runs about 8 trailer loads and cost a million or so.

Remember seeing GCS Johnson old Man truck “on the wrecker topic” pulling a trailer Top Buzz “thanks to someone for saying” which looked pretty heavy

Here the pics

timsfairpictures.co.uk/coppermin … play_media

Saaamon:
…their motors are far better looked after than the new truck you drive i can asure you.

Unsubstantiated claim. You can make no such assurance.

I hope this helps.

wildfire:

damoq:

correct and i am not to sure if they don’t even require a c+e either seem to remember something like that :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: in the back of my mind :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That’s what I thought.

Thanks for the replies
I was just curious as to the legality of it all, seen some nice looking stuff but the one that always sticks in my mind was driving up the M6 one evening wtih my 4x4 pulling a trailer sticking to around 60 i passed an absulutly batterd tractor+trailer think it was an ERf wtih rust all over the chassis that was belching black smoke, anyway coming down a hill it came back past me at around 70 then up the next one slowed to around 40 or 50 again smoking, this happend 3 or 4 times, once as it came past i noticed the blind on one of the caravan windows that were all pulled down twitch and move up a few inches, looked like there were around 4 or 5 people including two young girls sat in it :open_mouth:

Didnt realise that there was so much mony involved as most of them seemed to be build on fairly old trucks

Not sure this would still be legal though:

SmashedCrabFace:

Saaamon:
…their motors are far better looked after than the new truck you drive i can asure you.

I hope this helps.

Suppose we would have to wait another 68 years to see what your truck is looking like before we could say.

I hope this helps.

SmashedCrabFace:

Saaamon:

I hope this helps.

I can though, having seen the HSE checks the fairgrounds have to go through- think a VOSA check x10 and that does include the trucks and generators. almost everytime they pull onto a new pitch everything is inspected and certificates and maintainence logs checked-

Imagine a full VOSA inspection at your firm every 8 days or so :bulb: Showmans maybe MOT Exmpt… but one of the reasons. or consequences of that is that they actually get checked far more regulary.