Army drivers have been put on standby

thescottishsun.co.uk/news/7 … shortages/

Not sure how accurate this story is ■■?

Have 40,000 drivers been beamed up or what, last week it was 60k shortage, now its 100k, 140k by next week? :unamused:
If everyone deleted the covid scam app and switched off the telly, the pandemic would be over and all those milking paid extra holidays could return to their jobs, anyone actually out and about on the roads cannot have failed to notice the never before seen volumes of cars on the roads every day of the week.

As for calling in the army, in the words of President Ronald Reagan, ‘‘the most terrifying words in the English language are, i’m from the government and i’m here to help’’

The words “pinch” and “salt” are springing to mind
In any case the government are not about to get involved in what they’ve clearly identified and labelled as a problem created entirely by the transport industry
They’ll also be mindful of the fact that involving the army could clearly provoke a reaction amongst drivers, in other words provide a real groundswell of support for any proposed days of action, work to rule, overtime ban etc

bigdave789:
The words “pinch” and “salt” are springing to mind
In any case the government are not about to get involved in what they’ve clearly identified and labelled as a problem created entirely by the transport industry
They’ll also be mindful of the fact that involving the army could clearly provoke a reaction amongst drivers, in other words provide a real groundswell of support for any proposed days of action, work to rule, overtime ban etc

Come on guys, it was in The Soar away Sun its just gotta be true.

Bring in the army? Sure, go ahead. The problem will just get a lot worse with them clowns running things. They’ll make the average delivery to Tesco or Amazon RDC look like the pinnacle of efficiency and organisation. The government would be throwing money at us asking us to name our price to come back and drive after a couple of weeks of the army doing the job as there really would be empty shelves everywhere.

Might be best to stock up on some popcorn and watch from a safe distance. :smiley:

All everyone had to do was treat us all as though we were human, as the last time I checked, most of us were.
I find it quite incredible that a sector of industry was left behind and failed so badly that most felt the job was not worth it…Those Eastern Europeans must have put up with an awful lot for not very much in return and we should be mindful of that and stand together and not allow it to ever happen again, because if we do, we know where our pay rates are going.

Solidarity is the key and if we cannot do that, then we have failed ourselves and each other.

dodged600:
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/7520971/army-hgv-drivers-standby-to-relieve-britains-trucker-shortages/

Not sure how accurate this story is ■■?

I posted in another thread that there is a job advertised for a driver trainer at Widnes and Catterick Garrison, so i will go for…TRUE. The government wont want empty shelves at christmas will they?

Just had a message from a friend that drives for one of the big supermarkets and just happens to also be a member of the Territorials (You know that volunteer army if they still exist)
He has to leave his job to go drive for the terriers on supermarket deliveries!
Someone needs to get a grip of the real situation …

The head honcho at Premier Foods asked the government to consider putting Army personal behind the wheel to help distribute food supplies on the 2nd of July as food shortages could hit……

Premier Foods the company that uses XPO for its logistics……
XPO the company that will pull drivers and vehicles off contracts to cover other contracts…your food ingredients ain’t getting delivered mate because 10 load of plasterboard needs running down south :unamused:

Sorry for that repeating,phone froze when I hit submit and appears to have done it three times,haven’t a clue how to remove them :smiley:

When I go into my local big Tesco the first half of the store is full with things other than food would if be better for them to stop delivering this stuff and concentrate on food

Yorkielad:
Sorry for that repeating,phone froze when I hit submit and appears to have done it three times,haven’t a clue how to remove them :smiley:

Either request a mod to remove the two extra posts or alternatively you can edit the offending posts down to a full stop and press submit.

I personally enjoy reading posts three times as it usually sinks in by then! :smiley:

Seeing as how drivers of vehicles used by the armed forces are exempt from domestic drivers hours rules I wonder if the children running planning offices are likely to plan 20 hour days for army drivers as the would for the rest of us?

DCPCFML:
Bring in the army? Sure, go ahead. The problem will just get a lot worse with them clowns running things.

Never served have you!
The armed forces are one of the reasons that you’re able to post your views on the internet you ■■■■■■ ungrateful ■■■■■■■■
You’re type make me sick, I dare you here and now to walk up to any serving soldier and call him a clown.

Yorkielad:
XPO the company that will pull drivers and vehicles off contracts to cover other contracts…your food ingredients ain’t getting delivered mate because 10 load of plasterboard needs running down south :unamused:

Several B&Q/GXO (XPO is now GXO) trucks where pulled off the B&Q work on Friday to pull Premier Foods trailers between Worksop and Tamworth, the agy drivers from B&Q are banned from the Premier foods job because they kicked off & refused to pull the trailers as they couldn’t strap up the load, as it was loaded thru the back door and the straps thrown on top of the load, the core drivers do it instead without straps, contrary to site H&S. Another of the trucks on Friday was sent to Currys at Newark to take scrap fridges to Grantham.

the maoster:
Either request a mod to remove the two extra posts or alternatively you can edit the offending posts down to a full stop and press submit.

Change the font colour to white and the full stop disappears altogether And it looks like a blank post, it’s only when someone quotes it will the BB3 code show up

Grumpy_old_trucker:

DCPCFML:
Bring in the army? Sure, go ahead. The problem will just get a lot worse with them clowns running things.

Never served have you!
The armed forces are one of the reasons that you’re able to post your views on the internet you [zb] ungrateful [zb].
You’re type make me sick, I dare you here and now to walk up to any serving soldier and call him a clown.

I dont think that there is criticsm of the serving squaddies. Its more about the lions being led by donkeys. Always were and always will be.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

DCPCFML:

Never served have you!
The armed forces are one of the reasons that you’re able to post your views on the internet you [zb] ungrateful [zb].

Mr grumpy are you related to Mr angry a friend of Steve wright on radio 2. And do you drink Sulphuric or Nitric acid after your breakfast bowl of nuts and bolts?

peirre:

Yorkielad:

Several B&Q/GXO (XPO is now GXO) trucks where pulled off the B&Q work on Friday to pull Premier Foods trailers between Worksop and Tamworth, the agy drivers from B&Q are banned from the Premier foods job because they kicked off & refused to pull the trailers as they couldn’t strap up the load, as it was loaded thru the back door and the straps thrown on top of the load, the core drivers do it instead without straps, contrary to site H&S. Another of the trucks on Friday was sent to Currys at Newark to take scrap fridges to Grantham.

the maoster:

Change the font colour to white and the full stop disappears altogether And it looks like a blank post, it’s only when someone quotes it will the BB3 code show up

Would you believe me if I told you they have been running the Premier Food guys up solo from Worksop to Normanton to pull the beer on the XPO/GXO/K&N job :laughing: