Argos drivers striking?

bbc.co.uk/news/business-38302410

Looks like that issue of holiday back pay is rearing it’s head again.

Let’s hope they get the holiday pay.

It’s about time drivers start striking all over the place in my view.

I thought stobarts took over the transport for argos? Or is that just at magna park?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sainsburys own Argos.what a joke
Pay them up ffs

Albert1:
Sainsburys own Argos.what a joke
Pay them up ffs

The dispute appears to involve Wincanton, not Argos themselves (or Sainsbury’s).

I got my settled back in April. I honestly thought this was done and dusted across the board and was standard at every firm.

Argos have really impressed me, a few year ago I thought they where guaranteed to go bust… But they’ve really moved with the times. That fastrak service is incredible.

Amazon still batter them on price mind.

merc0447:
I got my settled back in April. I honestly thought this was done and dusted across the board and was standard at every firm.

Argos have really impressed me, a few year ago I thought they where guaranteed to go bust… But they’ve really moved with the times. That fastrak service is incredible.

[/quote]

Considering how they treat their staff, that’s not surprising!

“It is very difficult to understand why Wincanton has allowed this saga to get out of hand.”

Not difficult at all… Wincanton hoped to get away with ripping people off and short change them.

merc0447:

been doing the fast track deliverys to hub stores for the last eight weeks outa Heywood nice to be appreciated

dailym.ai/2hA0GgG

Some of the comments make for intresting reading.

Apparently wincantons employ 15500 people. Completely at random, if 10,000 people were able to claim £700, then that’s £7,000,000. I don’t know what their profit margin is, but the usual is 2-3%, so I suspect that’s a fair hit.

They should have dealt with it though, it’s been brewing for some time and legal advice has been to pay it, if only because it mitigates a firms liability in respect of past claims.

I lost part of a small contract to Wincantons last year and from what I see, apart from a fuel escalator everything is else is buttoned down with pre set increases in rates, there’s no wiggle room, so those prices are based on not paying an average overtime. Once that average comes in, they’ll start losing.

There’s some allegedly clever people going to uni and coming out with a degree in transport management, but I’ve never met one with either common sense or the ability to look beyond the end of their nose.

Stobarts been pulling for Argos today ahead of the drivers strike. Looks like thats the contingency plan amongst other subbies & it’ll probably be to the drivers long term detriment giving Stobbies the opportunity of a look in.

andy_s:
“It is very difficult to understand why Wincanton has allowed this saga to get out of hand.”

Not difficult at all… Wincanton hoped to get away with ripping people off and short change them.

That is the reason these type of firms treat their drivers like ■■■■, in many different ways…because they take it for granted that the drivers will just roll over and take anything they dish out, sadly 9 times out of 10 they do. :unamused:
However it looks like this is that 1 time out of 10.
Good on them I say!

rob22888:
Stobarts been pulling for Argos today ahead of the drivers strike. Looks like thats the contingency plan amongst other subbies & it’ll probably be to the drivers long term detriment giving Stobbies the opportunity of a look in.

Stobarts have done the trunking from Magna Park for a while. Argos has been seeking to get out of transport. As mentioned, some depots (such as Bridgwater) are Wincanton operations.

When I worked for Argos until I retired 5 years ago,Wincanton ran transport out of Heywood Burton Basildon Bridgewater,not sure about Mossend,Magna Park WAS in house not sure if it is completely Stobart now or only certain operations.
Burton was mainly for high value goods and tipping imported containers and sent out as and when needed to Argos distribution warehouses not to direct to stores
Home Delivery was DHL and some Wincanton.

According to a close friend Cannotwin / Wincanton are having payroll software issues causing problems settling Holiday Pay adjustments and have promised an interim payment by the end of this calender year and full settlement by March 2017 ( financial year end).

Different contract but I suspect the BS is the same.

Worked for Wincanton one of the smaller offices they have. The pay was laughable, like a student working in Tesco got a better hourly rate, but it was guaranteed hours. The job was super close to me and suited me and the office guys were sound. Funny thing about it was, they’d pay their drivers ■■■■, so couldn’t hire for ■■■■, and relied on agency drivers who were on much better rate, and about 3/4 of the drivers were agency at one point.
Their own drivers never stuck around long either, as the pay would constantly be messed up, could never expect any overtime to be added correctly. Just makes you wonder, why not put a bit of effort in keeping your own employees happy rather than spending a fortune on agency.
When I left and wanted to cash in my holidays (only 5 days), took them 2 months! Regular calling each week!

For a big company like Wincanton, they need to rattle up that Head Office.

How things change, when Wincanton had the Kwik Save contract where i worked, not only was the pay bloody good (the best Wincanton contract going) but the admin was spot on too, it can be done.

Be interesting to see how they get on, Stobart had to pay it but only to the drivers who were union members following a five year court battle, think unite were involved in that too.
Lots of these overtime/expenses/commission should count towards holiday pay cases have had to go through the courts, Eddie Stobart, Bear Scotland (highways), British Gas, British airways, local councils, some very big companies that can afford the very best legal representation, and they all lose.

BeakFreak81:
Christmas strike nightmare as Argos drivers announce they will stop working next week | Daily Mail Online

Some of the comments make for intresting reading.

Just added my two penneth to the comments section on the Daily Mail feed. Basically slating the Wayne Kerry’s who are having a go at the drivers and me calling all those having a go as coming across as pathetic little yes men. Feel a lot better now :smiley: