Are you wearing your seatbelt properly?

peterm:
Isn’t the height of the top end of the belt adjustable? We’ve got a 2001 Mitsubishi and that has an adjustment!

Certainly adjustable on my DAF.
I use a belt sleeve to protect my clothes from wear. Instead of the belt rubbing against shoulder, it moves inside the sleeve, and the sleeve stays stationary against the shoulder.
Never had a problem with a belt rubbing against my neck, but at 5ft10 I’m pretty average height.

In future clip your seat belt in to kill the alarm an just sit on it.

:smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

the maoster:
Wow! It’s a seatbelt, not an ejector seat from an F15 you cabbage! If the pre tensioner is that powerful then what on earth do you think it would do to your collarbone, sternum and lungs when worn correctly in an accident?

I see you’re one of those people who don’t realise that seatbelts have pre-tensioners in that fire in the event of there being an accident in order to pin the occupant in their seat retracting the seatbelt about 6 inches in around 15-20 milliseconds. Often people end up with bruising from them going off when worn properly.

From How Stuff Works…

The pretensioner mechanism uses an explosive charge to drive a concealed piston when sensors detect the signature abrupt deceleration of an accident. … This extra seatbelt “pre-” tension, moments prior to the full force of impact, pulls the bodies of the driver and front-seat passenger firmly into their seats.

Conor:

the maoster:
Wow! It’s a seatbelt, not an ejector seat from an F15 you cabbage! If the pre tensioner is that powerful then what on earth do you think it would do to your collarbone, sternum and lungs when worn correctly in an accident?

I see you’re one of those people who don’t realise that seatbelts have pre-tensioners in that fire in the event of there being an accident in order to pin the occupant in their seat retracting the seatbelt about 6 inches in around 15-20 milliseconds. Often people end up with bruising from them going off when worn properly.

From How Stuff Works…

The pretensioner mechanism uses an explosive charge to drive a concealed piston when sensors detect the signature abrupt deceleration of an accident. … This extra seatbelt “pre-” tension, moments prior to the full force of impact, pulls the bodies of the driver and front-seat passenger firmly into their seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1N3rxnGWpw

Hmm ejector seats…liking the sound of that.Taking it to the next level.Commend the idea to the house.

Need to drive one of these never had any problems

B1qmQK-r4OS.CLa_2140,2000_612vPOSbjuL.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_UX385.jpg

Problem solved :smiley:

Conor:

the maoster:

From How Stuff Works…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1N3rxnGWpw

I’m perfectly well aware what pre tensioners are and the basics of how they work, but thanks for the patronising tone we’ve all come to love and indeed expect.

What I questioned was your ridiculous assertion that an incorrectly worn belt could rip your arm off! Say it out loud to yourself if you’re struggling with it.

toonsy:
In future clip your seat belt in to kill the alarm an just sit on it.

:smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

Another stupid idea

the maoster:
I’m perfectly well aware what pre tensioners are and the basics of how they work, but thanks for the patronising tone we’ve all come to love and indeed expect.

What I questioned was your ridiculous assertion that an incorrectly worn belt could rip your arm off! Say it out loud to yourself if you’re struggling with it.

Serves you right for being one of “those people”. :smiley:

My wife does this too

I always pick her up on it

‘But it’s uncomfortable’

I’d rather be uncomfortable than risk a serious injury in a crash as the seat belt would not stop me half as much as if it was being worn properly

the maoster:

I never said it could rip your arm off. I said it could pull your arm out of your shoulder socket as in dislocate it.

Conor:
it’ll rip your arm out of your shoulder .

Yeah, ok then :smiley:

So,I got a letter from the police today,I can either pay £100 fine or register for the online course your belt,your life".
It doesn’t say anything about penalty points.Do fixed penalties involve penalty points?

the maoster:

Conor:
If it’s under your arm, you’re in an accident and the pre-tensioners fire it’ll rip your arm out of your shoulder so you could be looking at major damage to the joint and tendons.

Conor is absolutely right. In my accident the seatbelt pre tensioner fired and launched my severed head out of the car. It was found two fields over in a cow pat.

in the interests of full disclosure for some reason I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt, no idea why I always wear them, and if I had I would have walked away from the crash like the other driver did rather than flown to hospital dying (along with my head). Wear your belt kids, it’s for your own good.

Sploom:
So,I got a letter from the police today,I can either pay £100 fine or register for the online course your belt,your life".
It doesn’t say anything about penalty points.Do fixed penalties involve penalty points?

Not endorsable…

Nil points.

Pay up or sitted bored witless whilst drinking tea in your living room.

That’s good news,I paid £52 for a workbook and once I’ve read it,I ring them up and they will mark my answers by phone and that will be the end of the matter

yourhavingalarf:

Sploom:

Not endorsable…

Nil points.

Pay up or sitted bored witless whilst drinking tea in your living room.

It is now an endorsable offence

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:

Point taken…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49040525

I can’t find when the rules will change or have changed though.

yourhavingalarf:

Monkey241:

Point taken…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49040525

I can’t find when the rules will change or have changed though.

They have changed …sometime in the last 2 years

I’m 6’2 and 18 stone and I don’t find the seatbelt uncomfortable. I’m packing a little extra timber (not much) but mainly have a huge chest/back from 20 years of bench press and deadlifts. However, I don’t do long distance so maybe it would rub more in that instance.