Are you in a union?

Reason I am asking is a question popped up at work today about what would happen ( god forbid ) if you were involved in accident on the road? Does your employer have a duty to look after you from a legal side of things or do they just step to one side and say " well he was driving?" Most unions provide funded legal representation in case of all eventualities at work so perhaps joining up maybe a good thing. I am going to question my boss over this but at present he is on holiday and being the only lgv driver at our place I have no one to ask. Any thoughts ? Sorry to bring a question to the forum like this but iam concerned should a circumstance like this occur.

You need to be in a union,i was in a really bad accident a few year ago and have been off work over 2 years with my injuries ,you have got to be in a union ,dont think it will never happen ,sometimes it does and for 7 quid a week it could or will save your job :neutral_face:

seth 70:
You need to be in a union,i was in a really bad accident a few year ago and have been off work over 2 years with my injuries ,you have got to be in a union ,dont think it will never happen ,sometimes it does and for 7 quid a week it could or will save your job :neutral_face:

Thanks, good advice and hope you recover soon. Is it £7 a week or month as £28 a month sounds a lot ? Who are you with please.

mr lordi:

seth 70:

Thanks, good advice and hope you recover soon. Is it £7 a week or month as £28 a month sounds a lot ? Who are you with please.

Sorry its 9.92 a month and im in usdaw,i cant stress how much you need to join one,you never know whats going to happen,some battles you cant fight by yourself even if you are right or wrong, :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

seth 70:

mr lordi:

seth 70:

Sorry its 9.92 a month and im in usdaw,i cant stress how much you need to join one,you never know whats going to happen,some battles you cant fight by yourself even if you are right or wrong, :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Thanks I will do, I’ll look into it now.

It always pays to be in a union. My father in law injured his hand while using his lorry, the union paid all his legal fees while claiming compensation. If he hadn’t been in the union no win no fee would have taken a large chunk. If you only work at a small place you might want to keep the fact you are in a union to yourself (some bosses don’t like it) but they are there when you need them. I’m in unite union and they are always helpful with any advise I need its about £13 a month. :slight_smile:

jonny b:
It always pays to be in a union. My father in law injured his hand while using his lorry, the union paid all his legal fees while claiming compensation. If he hadn’t been in the union no win no fee would have taken a large chunk. If you only work at a small place you might want to keep the fact you are in a union to yourself (some bosses don’t like it) but they are there when you need them. I’m in unite union and they are always helpful with any advise I need its about £13 a month. :slight_smile:

Some of the joiners at our place are in a union called ucatt which I used to be in but I left as I didn’t feel they backed when we needed them on a pay rise issue So I left, but I’m not sure if I should join a drivers union anyway as that what I’m employed as?

Im in USDAW well worth it and for £5 a year join the Distress Fund it means the union pays any parking tickets or fines you get while your at work which is well worth it.

Jeff

Yes,
Unite the Union,

best £3week I’ve ever spent and any trucker who’s not in one is BONKERS :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Yes, RMT Rail Maritime & TRANSPORT. Even though I am self employed and only drive HGV or PSV occasionally I still keep up membership. The monthly magazine is truly enlightening about what the bosses try to do.

Yes. GMB.

Wouldn’t be without them.

USDAW for me, 42.5 hrs a week (complete my hours in 4 days have day 5 off optional) increments for weekends and nights, also bank holidays, 5 weeks of holidays of which 4 hours of each holiday is paid at my night premium, full sick pay all secured by the union over many years.

A working man should not be forced to work 60 hrs a week for 40 hrs pay, my employer knows this and understands that it costs the same to employ another driver/s to cover the work, their is a high level of membership where I work and I can easily say in 25 years It’s the best job I have ever had.

mr lordi:
Does your employer have a duty to look after you from a legal side of things or do they just step to one side and say " well he was driving?"

No!
Your employer has no duty to look after you from a legal side. Their duty is to maximize profit for the company owner.
Have you ever come across these expressions?
You’re on your own, mate
Thrown to the wolves
Hung out to dry

Do you have the time, knowledge and money to fight a a legal battle?

Please join a union.

URTU has been good for me

mr lordi:
Reason I am asking is a question popped up at work today about what would happen ( god forbid ) if you were involved in accident on the road? Does your employer have a duty to look after you from a legal side of things or do they just step to one side and say " well he was driving?" Most unions provide funded legal representation in case of all eventualities at work so perhaps joining up maybe a good thing. I am going to question my boss over this but at present he is on holiday and being the only lgv driver at our place I have no one to ask. Any thoughts ? Sorry to bring a question to the forum like this but iam concerned should a circumstance like this occur.

Yes always have been in it for over 40 years. I’m not a rabid left winger far from it in fact.im slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun. But the union has far deeper pockets than you, and if some crappy boss tries taking the urinal. Or some plonker on the road tries to kill you. You know you have some one on your side. Every driver should be a member of a trade union. In 1979 drivers went on strike nationally for a £17.50 a week rise ( during the winter of discontent) it took us 3 DAYS to get arise. The blacklegs who worked also got the pay rise twits, should be an a in there somewhere. My unite membership is £13.25 per month.

mr lordi:

jonny b:

Some of the joiners at our place are in a union called ucatt which I used to be in but I left as I didn’t feel they backed when we needed them on a pay rise issue So I left, but I’m not sure if I should join a drivers union anyway as that what I’m employed as?

Everyone has opinions about which union is best I’ve been a member of gmb and unite and I find unite works best for me. The point is, be in a union they know alot more about employment law and are there to help. I have seen plenty of folk tell you they don’t need a union but it’s the first thing they look for when in trouble. Thing is no union will defend you on live cases if your not a member at the time, best to be safe than sorry £13 a month or your job■■?

Being in a union got me £7500 for an unfair dismissal case. Well worth the small amount a month.
Paul

seth 70:
sometimes it does and for 7 quid a week it could or will save your job :neutral_face:

Im not a member, it once cost me my job so I lost faith in them, the subs I save I can put towards savings or a pension, if things go Pete Tong & I’m still alive I’ll resign & look elsewhere for a job…

I,m in ! Any probs i give them a ring and let them deal with the office jockeys! :unamused:

Worth every penny :unamused: ! Make sure you have legal cover… :unamused:

Juddian bangs on about this from time to time, and in my mind he’s absolutely correct; look around at any Co with excellent terms, conditions and wages and I’ll wager my left knacker that they are unionised. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

the maoster:
Juddian bangs on about this from time to time, and in my mind he’s absolutely correct; look around at any Co with excellent terms, conditions and wages and I’ll wager my left knacker that they are unionised. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

The company I work for do all of the above and you couldn’t ask for a better employer,But as said I ain’t doing this to get the above you have quoted, I am purely doing this to have cover from a legal side and representation should I be involved in an accident. Hate to say this but in almost all serious accidents an hgv driver will be arrested at the scene(for his own protection they say) so would like to have someone to contact. Thanks for all replies, this thread was definitely worth starting.